Re: 2013 10k, Ali Brownlee ... [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 10k, Ali Brownlee ... [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Culley22 wrote:
chicoxcrunner wrote:
I'm an Oregon boy at heart and I can see a lot of parallels between Alistair and Pre as far as racing style and training style. Alistair trains to be a champion champion and nothing else. With that being said I don't feel like a transition to 70.3 would suit him well. An increase in mileage + relentless training style could be recipe for disaster.

I don't know, LS smashes it all the time and he hasn't been gimped up. Now, maybe what they can take is different, but maybe AB goes balls out and is able to sustain it. That'd be scary news for every other pro.

Just so many variables in a person's makeup/life to say "he trains too hard to last long", when while history shows he has issues, we don't know the nuances to why that is.

I don’t think that’s really a valid comparison yet. Alistair has been racing at the world level over 10 years, and at the national level before that. Sanders has done 3 years or so of major training. If Lionel is still kicking around fine in another 10 years sure, but looking at his death gait at Hawaii it’s hard to believe he won’t have issues at some point because of it.

Don’t get me wrong, Alistair’s body could 100 percent just be a delicate flower, but he has way more miles in his legs than Sanders and that by itself can cause some of the problems. He also has a running issue it’s just different than Sanders, he runs forefoot, and that has possibly contributed to his issues over the long term.

It already should be scary for the pros you have Gomez coming into 70.3 who can win worlds doing ITU training, stack a healthy Alistair and Jonny in a few years and it could be a hell of a shootout. Especially if they all do Hawaii.

I actually think Jonny could end up with the better long course record out of the three possibly in the future if he decides to go up after Tokyo.

He's a lot younger than Gomez, less injury prone and more patient than Ali.
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 10k, Ali Brownlee ... [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barlow wrote:
I really hope AB just forgets about going long and sticks to ITU. The fast, cut and thrust of the short stuff just seems to suit him, and a shot at a 3rd Gold in Tokyo would be great to watch. The only ITU race I watched last year was Leeds, just to watch him tear it up. Maybe he can win Kona, maybe he can't, but I don't think it would be anywhere near as interesting as watching him go for Gold in Tokyo.

I don't think we'll seem him do long course.

I've heard too many third party sources quoting him as saying he found it boring this year. He likes racing, hard.
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 10k, Ali Brownlee ... [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Recent interview with AB: https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/...hese-years-1-8888948

Not far from full fitness after this summer's op.
Plans to go back to 70.3 after the Commonwealth Games targeting 70.3 worlds.
After that will decide Tokyo or IM.
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 10k, Ali Brownlee ... [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluefever wrote:
Barlow wrote:
I really hope AB just forgets about going long and sticks to ITU. The fast, cut and thrust of the short stuff just seems to suit him, and a shot at a 3rd Gold in Tokyo would be great to watch. The only ITU race I watched last year was Leeds, just to watch him tear it up. Maybe he can win Kona, maybe he can't, but I don't think it would be anywhere near as interesting as watching him go for Gold in Tokyo.

I don't think we'll seem him do long course.

I've heard too many third party sources quoting him as saying he found it boring this year. He likes racing, hard.

Not quite what he said when asked at an event last night.

https://twitter.com/...s/938862634824359941

Both were asked about Kona Both said "Yes" but did specify "don't know when"

Both were asked about alternative Olympic sports (ala Jorgensen and her Marathon 2020 bid)

Ali said also Marathon. Since he couldn't get to the standard required for 10K. He said he wouldn't want to "just qualify" he'd want to go there with the ability to win it
Jon chose Shooting since it was easier
Last edited by: Race1: Dec 8, 17 13:42
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 10k, Ali Brownlee ... [Race1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did we just find the 3rd brownlee in that audience there?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 10k, Ali Brownlee ... [r0bh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that link.

Leaves me with the same opinion, it's hardly all in for Kona in the near future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alistair won his local fell race today so must be back in reasonable running shape.

https://twitter.com/...s/947442147183267841
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've made my mind up on this now, I'd much rather Ali stuck around ITU till after Tokyo, even if you don't like the Brownlee's you have to admit deep down when the pair of them line up the excitement factor for any given race goes up ten fold.

He's got plenty of time after Tokyo to win Kona, Gomez has anounced he's moving up it seems and thats good enough to inject enough excitement into long course.

If this latest op has sorted out Ali's injury problems (very big if) I'd love to have a full season of ITU with him doing the buisness against the likes of Mola/Murray/Blum etc.
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 10k, Ali Brownlee ... [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Gomez has anounced he's moving up

*down*

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 10k, Ali Brownlee ... [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Great documentary, thanks for the link!!! AB was clearly very driven from early on.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 10k, Ali Brownlee ... [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Judging Ali's picture just posted on his Instagram could be both Gomez and Brownlee at Kona this year...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Judging Ali's picture just posted on his Instagram could be both Gomez and Brownlee at Kona this year...

I don't generally look at "Instagram" but JOOC what was the picture of???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Jackets wrote:

I've tried getting it in here but my I.T skills won't let me, Ali in a very low aero position (sure it will be picked apart in here) with volcanic looking mountain's in the background (He's in Tenerife)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Jackets wrote:

I've tried getting it in here but my I.T skills won't let me, Ali in a very low aero position (sure it will be picked apart in here) with volcanic looking mountain's in the background (He's in Tenerife)

Ah, I see, interesting...it would be very cool to see AB, Gomez, Frodo, Sebi, Lange, and Lionel all toe the line in Kona this year. Assuming AB and Gomez go 1-2, this might finally settle the "ITU guys can't bike" debate. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ali comes in as arguably the second strongest cyclist in the hypothetical 2018 field (nod to current course record holder Wurf). What Brownlee did at St. George 2017, as a hunted man, where he biked the same split as Sanders/Kienle who were WORKING TOGETHER trying to catch him, shows how strong he will be in Kona.

Don’t forget, Starky will be there in 2018, and he can swim. I’d think Brownlee and Starky hammering off the front early and working together will put the field on their heels. I don’t think Gomez (or many others) can hang with Ali/Starky, and you’ll see them put some time into the train.

I could see a scenario where Starky/Ali/ Wurf (having bridged from the chase swim pack and worked his way thru the field) enter T2 together, a few minutes up on Kienle/Sanders and several minutes up on the train. Brownlee could easily be up 10 min on Gomez and Lange by T2.

Ali starts the run in the drivers seat and can “cruise” to 2:4x high for the win. He forces Gomez/Lange to run mid 2:30s if they want the catch and Sanders will have to run 2:4x low.

Whether or not the do/ don’t/ blow up will make for great watching. But having written all this, Brownlee probably gets injured and DNS and the race itself will probably be a dud...
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 10k, Ali Brownlee ... [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:
Ali comes in as arguably the second strongest cyclist in the hypothetical 2018 field (nod to current course record holder Wurf). What Brownlee did at St. George 2017, as a hunted man, where he biked the same split as Sanders/Kienle who were WORKING TOGETHER trying to catch him, shows how strong he will be in Kona.
Don’t forget, Starky will be there in 2018, and he can swim. I’d think Brownlee and Starky hammering off the front early and working together will put the field on their heels. I don’t think Gomez (or many others) can hang with Ali/Starky, and you’ll see them put some time into the train.
I could see a scenario where Starky/Ali/ Wurf (having bridged from the chase swim pack and worked his way thru the field) enter T2 together, a few minutes up on Kienle/Sanders and several minutes up on the train. Brownlee could easily be up 10 min on Gomez and Lange by T2.
Ali starts the run in the drivers seat and can “cruise” to 2:4x high for the win. He forces Gomez/Lange to run mid 2:30s if they want the catch and Sanders will have to run 2:4x low.
Whether or not the do/ don’t/ blow up will make for great watching. But having written all this, Brownlee probably gets injured and DNS and the race itself will probably be a dud...

Given his nature, and since it is The Big Show, I would think Ali would try to run as fast as possible to break the course record by as much as possible, maybe 7:45??? Hypothetically, :47 + 4:12 + 2:43 + :03 = 7:45. In any case, the large number of very fast guys will indeed make for an exciting race!!!

Quote Reply
Re: 2013 10k, Ali Brownlee ... [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:

Only thing i'd disagree with there is Gomez being dropped on the swim, on the bike maybe im sure he's strong enough to come out with the front pack.
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 10k, Ali Brownlee ... [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder how much the relay will tempt him - winning with your brother would be a big pull if they can stay injury free.
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 10k, Ali Brownlee ... [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Is there anything to suggest AB will race Kona this year, other than a photo of him riding in vaguely Kona like conditions.

Fairly sure his 2018 gameplan will have 'A' races, Commonwealths, Leeds ITU, 70.3 Worlds followed by the Kona/Tokyo decision (which he is 95% certain to go the Tokyo route - very good prospect of a relay Gold with his brother, plus shot at a third individual title would trump Kona in his world IMO)
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 10k, Ali Brownlee ... [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRO Saracen wrote:

Is there anything to suggest AB will race Kona this year, other than a photo of him riding in vaguely Kona like conditions.

Fairly sure his 2018 gameplan will have 'A' races, Commonwealths, Leeds ITU, 70.3 Worlds followed by the Kona/Tokyo decision (which he is 95% certain to go the Tokyo route - very good prospect of a relay Gold with his brother, plus shot at a third individual title would trump Kona in his world IMO)

I wish he'd put everyone out there misery and let us know what his plans are, I haven't been able to find any interviews post operation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree, Gomez will be one of the first out of the water.

But do feel like he’ll get left pretty quickly on the bike. Not necessarily by the group, where I think he stays in contact, but by a determined Brownlee/ Starky duo off the front.
Quote Reply

Prev Next