Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hollywood's Weinstein to be Probed [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregtryin wrote:

You lefties f'ckin amaze me. Do you think you have a monopoly on morality or something? This is the same old arrogant claim to the moral high ground that every damn lib I know jumps up on as soon as possible. As a conservative, I absolutely believe in women's rights, sexual harassment infuriates me, and 'aggressive behavior of men' isn't acceptable either. I also believe in equal rights under the law for ALL citizens whether they are black, brown, or white. Just about every other conservative I know feels the same way. Bill O'Rielly was a scumbag for what he did, but so was Bill Clinton...and Harvey Weinstein...and Bill Cosby. From the looks of things right now, we have an entire multi-billion dollar industry built on sexual harassment and trampling women's rights run by liberals that kick any conservatives out at the first inkling of contrary viewpoints. Do you think Harvey Weinstein is the ONLY guy in Hollywood using his power to take advantage of women? My bet is that it is an institutionalized way of doing business on casting couches all over Hollywood.

I also think we should have control over our borders. Does that make me xenophobic?

I believe in the rule of law and enforcement of those rules. Does that make me racist because all of you people have convinced yourselves black and brown people are unfairly treated by law enforcement?

Get help with your TDS, my friend.

Greg

I'm old enough to remember when conservative evangelical Christians were called out for their immense level of self righteousness. The left doesn't seem to have noticed, but they are now often the most self righteous ones around. The virtue signaling and public posturing is fun to watch. They are the new evangelicals only its their own SJW brand of religious leftism.
Quote Reply
Re: Hollywood's Weinstein to be Probed [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's a mistake to conflate sexual harassment of adult women with child sex abuse for a number of reasons, one of which is that we shouldn't infantilize women.

There's a difference between a child who was sexually abused by a priest in 1966 or a kid who lives in an orphanage and a grown women who is sexually harassed in the workplace.

(Though to answer your question, ideally kids would tell their parents, and the parents would tell everyone. The difficult part there, of course, is getting the kids to tell the parents. But in many of the cases you mention, the parents knew about the abuse of their children and didn't do anything about it- out of loyalty, or a desire not to "cause trouble," or maybe because they wanted the benefit of the coaching relationship, or whatever. Frankly, those parents failed their children miserably.)

In reference to those who knew about Weinstein and didn't do anything about it, though- what would you have them do? Who would you have them tell? Especially when many of his victims themselves didn't do anything or tell anyone. In Weinstein's case, there seem to be two basic reasons many of his victim's didn't say anything. Fear of not being believed doesn't seem to be a factor. Instead, many of the women he assaulted made a judgement call that nobody in Hollywood or the media would risk angering Weinstein. Also, many of his victims made a conscious decision to acquiesce to his assaults in order to benefit their acting career and gain the associates benefits.

The thing is, both of those motivations exist just as much for every individual who knew of Weinstein's behavior, too. If an actress who was actually sexually assaulted by Weinstein doesn't have a realistic avenue to tell someone who will help, and/or doesn't want to speak up because she still wants to be rich and famous, what possible reason is there to expect an uninvolved third party to endanger his or her standing to help?

As far as I know, only one woman ever reported Weinstein to the police, even though it sounds like his actions amounted to sexual assault at a minimum on plenty of occasions.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Last edited by: vitus979: Oct 19, 17 6:12
Quote Reply
Re: Hollywood's Weinstein to be Probed [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually i was not thinking of the infantilising aspect rather that in each instance it was an abuse of power but i take your point.
Quote Reply
Re: Hollywood's Weinstein to be Probed [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
They're mostly still being fake, despite all these people now coming forward. Nothing's really going to change until they all name the people that did those things to them and we can bring them before the bar of justice, or at least can publicly shame them all, given the statute of limitations in California on many of these allegations.

But I get the feeling most of them don't want that to happen, either, as it would jeopardize the gravy train and the culture to which they've all grown accustomed.

agreed. but the masses don't want fix anything because then they cant be pissed about it or at someone for it.
how in the hell can these people that have reached stardom and made millions upon millions still not name names? as was addressed a few posts ago, if you're an adult and propositioned that's bad enough. if you were approached as a child and now, as an adult, after achieving fame and fortune, still do nothing...youre just as guilty. and horrible.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Re: Hollywood's Weinstein to be Probed [Madduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Madduck wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

They're mostly still being fake, despite all these people now coming forward. Nothing's really going to change until they all name the people that did those things to them and we can bring them before the bar of justice, or at least can publicly shame them all, given the statute of limitations in California on many of these allegations.

But I get the feeling most of them don't want that to happen, either, as it would jeopardize the gravy train and the culture to which they've all grown accustomed.

agreed. but the masses don't want fix anything because then they cant be pissed about it or at someone for it.
how in the hell can these people that have reached stardom and made millions upon millions still not name names? as was addressed a few posts ago, if you're an adult and propositioned that's bad enough. if you were approached as a child and now, as an adult, after achieving fame and fortune, still do nothing...youre just as guilty. and horrible.

"Most of all, there are the dynamics around power, money, and glory. They enable the abuse even as they prompt the coverup, since the institution and its prestige must be protected. Those around the perpetrators become accomplices, actively or passively. The system becomes self-sustaining. The more abuse, the more coverup. The more coverup, the more abuse. Everyone looks the other way because everyone looks the other way. No one will speak up because no one will speak up. Bit by bit, isolated incidents that might happen in any context metastasize into a monstrous system that feeds on itself. The guilt of a few becomes the guilt of all, as the system is sustained by its own rottenness."

Is Hollywood sitting on a pedophilia scandal?

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply

Prev Next