Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ketogenic diet while racing
Quote | Reply
So I'm interested in attempting a ketogenic diet for next season, but I have a few questions. I really only want to hear from people who are in ketosis or have spent a long time in ketosis. I'm curious to know what do y'all use to fuel during rides? Also I plan on focusing solely on cycling in the spring for my road race season, so I'm interested to know how does ketosis effect the hard efforts, >threshold, when normally your body is burning nearly 100% carbs? And last question for now, how long after the transition did it take to reach your original power numbers?
Quote Reply
Re: Ketogenic diet while racing [JeffreyIThink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My n=1 experience. I tried keto for a bit last year to lose weight. For weight loss great, for training a disaster. Anything more than a short easy run was almost impossible to complete. Possibly I didn't give it long enough to fully adapt but I wasn't willing to lose months of training in the hope I would.

Fueling on longer efforts I used snack portions of cheese, not nice in summer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been on something close to keto for about 6 months and training and racing HIM. It's been good - I agree, that its an awesome way to drop weight. I didn't find any issues after the first few weeks with respect to moving to fat burning from sugar. The first few weeks were tough and I'd fell like I was about to hit the wall at 3-5k of running.

Nutrition on the bike and run in a PITA. On race day I basically said F-it and ate whatever I wanted.

My diet excludes sugar (except from fruit and raw honey), dairy and grains (yes, that includes rice, quinoa, spelt, corn, etc etc etc, etc). It's taken some time to adjust but it seems fine now.

I think there is some practical application for keto and if you look at my exclusion list, it's specific for inflammation so I see some benefit there too from a recovery perspective.

As always, results may vary.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I followed a keto plan specifically for weight loss for several months but I was also training (just starting Triathlons). For fueling, single serving packs of gaucamole (costco sells these); these can be frozen so they are hot later in your ride. I also used single serving natural peanut butter; these were similar to gels but they can hard to source. (http://shop.justins.com/...c=Justins@NutButters).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I follow a ketogenic diet and train as well. It took about a week for me to adapt and feel normal again, mainly due to a low grade headache that was my experience with the Keto Flu. For bike hydration I use the electrolyte tablets that are available from several companies, just drop them in a bottle with water. For food on the bike I use packets from dropanfbomb, they are nut butters in a gu/gel sized pack.
Quote Reply
Re: Ketogenic diet while racing [cldave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve been doing Keto for a few months now, got through the rough first week or so and haven’t looked back. This is my first season in training while in Keto so I don’t know what’ll happen. I just found “Fbombs” and a company called MUIR that sell Keto friendly endurance nutrition. I’ll be trying both in the next few weeks for the first time. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Ketogenic diet while racing [alfordrealty1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The latest Trainer Road podcast has a long discussion on keto for cycling

Quote Reply
Re: Ketogenic diet while racing [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did keto last year for about half the season, I like trying new things and thought I'd give it a go to get to race weight for my A races. Truly n=1, but I had no issues at all. No keto flu, no power drop, no change in training. As for what I did for long runs and rides - just did water. I took some nuts once and didn't touch them, I may have taken a banana on one ride. Nothing on runs but that is no different than how I normally train, I only do water on runs no matter what my diet.

As for the races, I didn't see how I was going to race without carbs so didn't even try. About 2-3 days before the race, I slowly started adding carbs back in so I didn't have any weirdness on race day. I took a week to enjoy some bread, chips, then back to keto. Overall, it worked well, I will do it again this year depending on whether I race or not this year. Good luck!
Quote Reply