Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Achilles - how damaged is it?
Quote | Reply
I haven't had a change to get to the physio yet, will do on Friday. Just wondering what's going on with my Achilles and whether or not I can run on it. I've been running around 50 miles/week for the last 4 months, after previously only doing around 25miles. I've had no injury issues. I've mostly been only doing easy - moderate stuff, with a little bit of speed work, not much. But I did a duathlon sprint at the weekend and my Achilles was sore the next day when I woke up. I was limping. I stretched the calf out and rolled it and it felt fine. That was Monday. It feels good today. And the Achilles tendon and area isn't sore if I pinch it. I can feet a little pain quite deep in the Achilles if I point my foot down. Is this the start of Achilles Tendonitis?
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles - how damaged is it? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really hard to say. Is it high (up by the insertion to the calf) or low (by insertion to the heel)? Do you feel it more on one side? The achilles and lower leg is a complex structure. I've had pain that I swore was Achilles, but was the peroneal tendon. I was able to run through it with a simple stretch/exercise and making sure I was looking straight ahead instead on looking more down while running. I've trained through (90+ miles a week) a painful swollen Achilles by getting Graston once a week. My point is, it may not be Achilles and you may be able to manage/train through it. Get to a good physio quick. If your not sure if your if your physio is good, you should be asking for references in your location. A lot of overuse (running and biking) injuries can be corrected quickly by a good physio without a big reduction in volume.
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles - how damaged is it? [run2tri80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
run2tri80 wrote:
Really hard to say. Is it high (up by the insertion to the calf) or low (by insertion to the heel)? Do you feel it more on one side? The achilles and lower leg is a complex structure. I've had pain that I swore was Achilles, but was the peroneal tendon. I was able to run through it with a simple stretch/exercise and making sure I was looking straight ahead instead on looking more down while running. I've trained through (90+ miles a week) a painful swollen Achilles by getting Graston once a week. My point is, it may not be Achilles and you may be able to manage/train through it. Get to a good physio quick. If your not sure if your if your physio is good, you should be asking for references in your location. A lot of overuse (running and biking) injuries can be corrected quickly by a good physio without a big reduction in volume.

Thanks for the reply. Booked in to see physio friday. I had mild Achilles Tendinitis a year ago, but that was fixed quickly by strengthening my hip flexors. I was only off running for 2 weeks. But I remember my Achilles tendon was tender. It doesn't feel tender at all which is good I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles - how damaged is it? [run2tri80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
run2tri80 wrote:

Hey Man,

What stretch/ exercise are you using to help manage this condition? I've had peroneal tendon pain for what seems like forever
Quote Reply