Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Faster Commuter Bike Tires Recommendation
Quote | Reply
I recently bought a 2015 Diamondback Haanjo Comp for a commuter bike. My commute is 34 hilly miles to work, but I take the shuttle (with my bike) home. I'd rather ride my road bike since it's faster, but this one does fine and I don't have to worry about hurting it on my commute or on the shuttle when people literally stack their bikes.

I bought the bike used and it's now in need of new tires. The current tires are too knobby and loud/slow. Since I don't do a ton of offroad type riding I'd like to get tires that are faster than what I currently have. I realize the tradeoff is that it'll be less gravel capable, which I'm ok with. I want it to roll a bit more like my road bike does.

What would you recommend for making this bike faster? What SIZE should I buy? Right now it has:
Kenda Happy Medium Sport 700x40 B

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Faster Commuter Bike Tires Recommendation [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cbr shadow wrote:
I recently bought a 2015 Diamondback Haanjo Comp for a commuter bike. My commute is 34 hilly miles to work, but I take the shuttle (with my bike) home. I'd rather ride my road bike since it's faster, but this one does fine and I don't have to worry about hurting it on my commute or on the shuttle when people literally stack their bikes.

I bought the bike used and it's now in need of new tires. The current tires are too knobby and loud/slow. Since I don't do a ton of offroad type riding I'd like to get tires that are faster than what I currently have. I realize the tradeoff is that it'll be less gravel capable, which I'm ok with. I want it to roll a bit more like my road bike does.

What would you recommend for making this bike faster? What SIZE should I buy? Right now it has:
Kenda Happy Medium Sport 700x40 B

Thanks!

Honestly I would probably go with 32mm Gatorskin. Humble brag, this summer in 110 heat index I as able to ride about 7 hours on a cross commuter with basket, rear rack etc at 20mph. With anything else it would probably have topped out at 17-18mph. True commuter tires are super slow IMHO.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Panaracer Gravel King. Comes in numerous different sizes and aggressiveness of tread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know what the pavement is like, but for riding around San Francisco, I like 32-35mm tires. In the past I have used the 32mm Specialized Roubaix tires, which tested pretty decently. Currently rolling 35mm Compass Bon Jon Pass.

But my decision is based on being able to cruise across trolley tracks, drop off curbs, and do some lite offroad exploring.

If you are on paved and decent roads, why not something like a 28mm GP4000?

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Faster Commuter Bike Tires Recommendation [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
Don't know what the pavement is like, but for riding around San Francisco, I like 32-35mm tires. In the past I have used the 32mm Specialized Roubaix tires, which tested pretty decently. Currently rolling 35mm Compass Bon Jon Pass.

But my decision is based on being able to cruise across trolley tracks, drop off curbs, and do some lite offroad exploring.

If you are on paved and decent roads, why not something like a 28mm GP4000?

Hey KJM, we're in the same area. I'm going from Daly City to Menlo Park via Skyline and Canada rd.
The (2) tires that have been mentioned and are widely available here are:
32mm Gatorskins
28mm GP4000's
What are the pros/cons for these ones?

I've only used road bike wheels before, but is it possible that my Haanjo wheels are too wide to fit the 28mm GP4000's?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny - I live in Menlo Park and used to commute once/week to SF via Skyline - that pavement is rough, but certainly no reason to go extra wide on the tires. Hopefully they open up the connection between Sawyer Camp and Canada soon so you don't have to do the weird wiggle and cross 280.

Gatorskins are overkill and slow for that commute. I would say just ride whatever you normally would on the road in the 25-32mm range.

Sticking to my recommendation of the GP4000 in 28. Best balance of affordability, durability, speed, ride quality, puncture resistance. I weight 175 and would ride those around 80psi.

Also are you guys hiring? I'm sick of spending 1/2 my life on Caltrain commuting to the city.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What does 'commuter tire' mean to you? Something reliable? Something big for shitty pavement? Something fast to beat the e-bikers? Answering these questions will tell you where you should be shopping.

I have the 'trail' version of your bike that came with the Schwalbe G-One tubeless 40mm. I've been riding them both on and offroad for about 1,000 mi so far and am very impressed. I figured I was going to need to swap these out for road riding but they roll well enough that it's not worth bothering. Confidence is high and the ride is awesome. These are a pretty astounding tire.

If you're after something more road oriented I used the Specialized Roubaix Tubeless 32mm last winter for training and they are also quite good and very durable.

With this bike it's a waste to not run a higher volume tire. Sure, it adds maybe 5 minutes to my commute vs. being on the race bike but the payoff is well worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cbr shadow wrote:
I've only used road bike wheels before, but is it possible that my Haanjo wheels are too wide to fit the 28mm GP4000's?

I had those wheels and the Haanjo from a couple years ago. They are a 21mm inner diameter and good for high pressures. My 28 Specialized tires measured 31mm on those wheels. They were fantastic for road tires. Lots of good tire recommendations above already, so I won't pile on. Most of my summer commuting this year was on 40mm Schwalbe G Ones or 28 (30mm) Schwalbe Ones. The extra volume is nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been very happy with the Clement Strada USH 32mm. Relatively light, rolls very fast, very comfortable. I have put 1500 miles on a set this year without them looking too much worse for wear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
32s seconded (thirded?) Tires don't need to be knobby CX or MTB-like tires for the bike to be gravel capable. Wider slicks do just fine on gravel. Check to see if the frame and brake calipers can accept 32 tires.
Quote Reply
Re: Faster Commuter Bike Tires Recommendation [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its a disc bike and comes with 40's stock, so plenty of room for anything.

These are about the most badass rings of rubber out there:
https://www.compasscycle.com/...700cx38-barlow-pass/

I have these for my one an only bike and can time trial a 40k in a 1:01 with these so I reckon they'll be fast enough for your commute.
Quote Reply