Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Newbie: How to Battle Mental Fatigue? [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happens to everyone you need a week off, or more, enjoy the taper. my coach throws in active recovery weeks all the time really low volume and intensity. I almost feel like too often, but it really helps with the mental burnout.
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie: How to Battle Mental Fatigue? [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
Ive been training for a half ironman since May. In May, I couldnt even swim... as in I would drown. I also didnt have a bike and had never been on a road bike. As far as running, I am a runner so at least I have that.

I bought a bike and started taking swimming lessons in May.

I now swim 7000 yards a week, with one 2500 yard OWS session non-stop (Took three months before I could swim 1000 yards.)

I also bought a bike and ride ~100 miles a week, with a 50 mile session as my long ride (Road bike - ~3 hours)

Physically, I feel great, but I am two weeks out from my race and have been struggling the past two weeks to workout mentally. Its almost like I dread getting in the pool and swimming back and forth forever (Pace is 2:08/100yds) and almost cry at the thought of riding my bike 3 hours.

How do you battle the mental aspect? I have the physical endurance and nutrition down pat. I am excited about the race, and to start training for my 1st ironman next year (buying a P2 and trainer Oct 24th), but mentally... I am exhausted.

Ive come a long way and now my mind has decided it no longer wants to participate.

Any tips on staying in the game mentally? I was NOT prepared for this issue.

Try to concentrate on good things: changes in your body, on that you're getting stronger, on improvements you make - this can teach you to love the process which is essential.
Also consider to begin from smaller things (like Olympic distance for example), you probably want to start too fast and it does not work this way. At least does not work well

Check my blog
http://myirondiary.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next