Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Who is smarter? Trump vs Tillerson [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The last two pages of this thread have been incredibly entertaining.

Duffy vs. the deranged.

Quote Reply
Re: Who is smarter? Trump vs Tillerson [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:

Duffy vs. the deranged.

Except Duffy eventually agreed with me after we'd finished his little circle jerk.

Back to the original topic though, I read that Mensa had offered to conduct the Trump v Tillerson IQ show down. It would be great entertainment. The best!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even though your assessment is bullshit because Duffy's position was incorrect and unrealistic despite being technically accurate in some very narrow ways, your gif is adorable. So I'll give you that.

Old Hickory wrote:

Duffy vs. the deranged.

Quote Reply
Re: Who is smarter? Trump vs Tillerson [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg66 wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Greg66 wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Quote:
The right question would be "If I have a broadcast licence, are my FA rights being infringed by its (unjustified) revocation?".

If you don’t have a legal justification to revoke a license then you don’t have a legal justification.

If your driver license it taken away illegally it’s not a violation of your right to move around as you wish. It’s just an illegal taking of the license.

You can still take the bus.

There may we’ll be a complaint that the broadcast licence is revoked unlawfully. But that would be in addition to infringement of the FA right, not instead of it.

Since there isn’t a constitutionally protected right of freedom of movement I don’t think the driver’s licence analogy takes us anywhere.

You do, OTOH, have a right to bear arms which is constitutionally protected. Let’s say you need to be granted a local permit to exercise that right. If the President were to say “Hey Duffy, I don’t like your swagger. I’m revoking your gun permit”, you’d be complaining that the revocation was unlawful *and* that precisely because of that your SA rights had been infringed.

I believe that the requirement to get a permit to own a gun is a violation of my 2a rights, just like the requirement to get a permit to express my political opinions would be a violation of my 1a rights.

I don’t believe that a requirement to get a permit to use a publicly owned shooting range is a violation of 2a just like the requirement for broadcast license isn’t a violation.

If the government revoked my permit to use a publicly owned shooting range that doesn’t mean they violated my right to keep and bear arms. I just can’t shoot at The People’s Gun Club.

Yeah, well, I can't make it any fucking simpler for you. Maybe try to focus on the point instead of introducing irrelevant and unhelpful distractions.

Ok. How’s this for simple...

There is no constitutional right to a broadcast license.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is what the FCC says they can do relating to complaints including fake news. The question have they ever actually done anything, i.e. sanctions when they have confirmed intentional false reporting?

https://www.fcc.gov/...broadcast-journalism

Complaints About Broadcast Journalism
[/url]
Español
The FCC receives a wide variety of comments and complaints from consumers about whether networks, stations, news reporters or commentators give inaccurate or one-sided news presentations, fail to cover certain events or cover them adequately, overemphasize or dramatize certain aspects of news events. Other complaints are received regarding the conduct of journalists in the gathering and reporting of news.
The FCC's authority to respond to these complaints is narrow in scope and the Commission is prohibited by law from engaging in censorship or infringing on First Amendment rights of the press.
What can the FCC do?
The FCC cannot interfere with a broadcaster's selection and presentation of material for the news and/or its commentary. However, the FCC does regulate content in some narrow areas. Federal law prohibits or limits the broadcast of obscene, indecent or profane language as defined by U.S. courts. Also, the FCC may issue penalties for knowingly broadcasting false information.
What responsibilities do broadcasters have?
As public trustees, broadcasters may not intentionally distort the news. The FCC has stated publicly that "rigging or slanting the news is a most heinous act against the public interest." The FCC may act to protect the public interest when it has received documented evidence, such as testimony from persons who have direct personal knowledge of an intentional falsification of the news. Without such documented evidence, the FCC generally cannot intervene.
What if I have comments or concerns about a specific news broadcast or commentary?
All concerns or comments about a specific news broadcast or commentary should be directed to the local station and network involved, so that the people responsible for making the programming decisions can become better informed about audience opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What’s funny is that they are arguing that corporations have constitutional rights (and I’m fairly certain these same people would disagree with citizens united ruling).

I’ve also read some of these posters saying things to the effect that the second amendment should only apply to muskets. Using that same logic, freedom of the press should only apply to pen and ink written on hemp paper.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good points.

Also, NBC still does not have a broadcast license subject to Trump's threats.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Who is smarter? Trump vs Tillerson [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Good points.

Also, NBC still does not have a broadcast license subject to Trump's threats.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6449457#p6449457

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:

Duffy vs. the deranged.

Once again, the stupidest post of the day goes to Old Hickory.

Congrats

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Revocation of a broadcast license is not infringing on freedom of the press.

The internet (and cable tv) are chock full of news outlets that do not have a broadcast license, not to mention an almost infinite amount of printed news.

Revocation of a license by the govt, solely because the govt doesn’t like what you broadcast could very definitely be a first amendment violation.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Who is smarter? Trump vs Tillerson [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed, but again, NBC doesn't have a license to revoke because NBC doesn't itself broadcast.

It's an empty threat on every possible level.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Who is smarter? Trump vs Tillerson [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Agreed, but again, NBC doesn't have a license to revoke because NBC doesn't itself broadcast.

It's an empty threat on every possible level.

Well, he didn’t just make the threat against NBC, but I agree it was a mostly toothless threat.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NBC and the other networks, I think.

I don't know what's worse- the fact that the president would make a threat like that, or the fact that he doesn't understand how the system works well enough to know it's meaningless. (Or the fact that a lot of other people, including Congress critters, seem equally ignorant. Or the likelihood that I'll see lots of Trump supporters saying that NBC's license should be revoked because it's fake news.)

Quote Reply
Re: Who is smarter? Trump vs Tillerson [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply

Prev Next