Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Another bike fit thread - and new aero helmet?
Quote | Reply
Hi guys.

So I've been messing around with my position and doing small tweaks for several months, reading up on FIST, reading through all the threads and posts I can find on the subject as well as a lot of trying. I think I'm getting closer and closer to a good position for me and would like to hear what you might have to say. Also, no need to comment on the insane length of extensions, I haven't cut them yet as I'm experimenting.

Based on Dan's calculator (nice job Dan!) with my height of 184cm and 87cm inseam I get a Pad Y of 646mm and Pad X at 494mm. Funny thing is that my setup (as shown in ) is actually Pad Y of 630mm and Pad X of 500mm. This is what I came up with myself experimenting before the calculator existed . Initially I had some issues holding this position as my hip angle was tight and it "hurt" on the top of the pedalstroke. I made the switch from 175mm to 165mm crankarms and that issue is now gone. The bike's a Ridley Dean Fast in a size small.

Specifically, I'm now pondering about;
- My knee angle is a little shallow (or is it?) at around 140-143 depending on where I'm measuring, should this be higher? If so, I would have to raise my seat and/or move it forward?

- I do feel like I could have my seat a tad higher, but it does look like my feet are aiming at the floor on the bottom of the stroke. Should I ignore this? I was going to try to raise it 50mm but the seat clamp !#(¤ up, so the bike's in the shop right now to get a new seat clamp. The videos show a seat heigth of 775mm seat heigth on 165mm kranks. An old retul fit on a P3 size 56 with 170mm crank arms had me at 797mm seat heigth and road bike (Foil size 56) seat heigth is 787mm on 172,5mm arms.

- I think I'm more stretched when riding outside road as opposed to on the trainer. I feel like I could have more reach (see with 15mm more reach).. Should I have more reach and if so, should I move pads forward? Seat back? If so, then knee angle would get even worse so I would have to compensate with..?

- It seems like perhaps there's a "hitch" or something on the upstroke.. I can see it well in "slowmo", but I don't really feel it riding..? Or perhaps this is what I'm feeling based on the above (in terms of seat heigth and/or reach?)

Also I had my first crash with a car who didn't yield (all good, just a small shoulder injury and minor bike repairs), so I'm also in need of a new helmet after this encounter.. I had a Casco Speedairo (which I guess isn't really an aero helmet at all), I was quite happy with that one except for some ventilation trouble which was mostly foggy glasses when I was hot and it was raining outdoors.

Thanks for the help!
Last edited by: hhetland: Oct 10, 17 3:27
Quote Reply
Re: Another bike fit thread - and new aero helmet? [hhetland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not bad. I have seen worse fits come from many professional bike fitters, so kudos for doing so well on your own. I like the second video better, as my primary critique of the first video is I think you could get a bit more pelvic rotation. You seem to have achieved that in video 2. You are really at the place where any meaningful improvements are likely to take place on a dynamic fit bike. There you could dial in the seat height and reach to 2-3mm, experiment with different setbacks and find the maximum drop where you can sustain your power.

1. Work on relaxing the head down.
2. You might do even better with even shorter cranks.
3. As you said, pull the extensions back towards you and you will probably be more comfortable and better able to relax the upper body.
4. If that toe point at the bottom of the pedal stroke is natural, let it be. It is not due to the seat being too high. I actually like your knee extension / seat height.
5. I don't think your reach can be eye ball fit any closer than it is now. Reach is probably the most personal of the four primary fit metrics. I would suggest thinking of it as simply as going shopping for a chair.... as soon as you sit in the chair you ultimately buy, you probably recognize it as the most comfortable choice almost immediately. Reach to the bars is a lot like that.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Another bike fit thread - and new aero helmet? [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
Not bad. I have seen worse fits come from many professional bike fitters, so kudos for doing so well on your own. I like the second video better, as my primary critique of the first video is I think you could get a bit more pelvic rotation. You seem to have achieved that in video 2. You are really at the place where any meaningful improvements are likely to take place on a dynamic fit bike. There you could dial in the seat height and reach to 2-3mm, experiment with different setbacks and find the maximum drop where you can sustain your power.

1. Work on relaxing the head down.
2. You might do even better with even shorter cranks.
3. As you said, pull the extensions back towards you and you will probably be more comfortable and better able to relax the upper body.
4. If that toe point at the bottom of the pedal stroke is natural, let it be. It is not due to the seat being too high. I actually like your knee extension / seat height.
5. I don't think your reach can be eye ball fit any closer than it is now. Reach is probably the most personal of the four primary fit metrics. I would suggest thinking of it as simply as going shopping for a chair.... as soon as you sit in the chair you ultimately buy, you probably recognize it as the most comfortable choice almost immediately. Reach to the bars is a lot like that.

Good luck.
Thanks! Yeah, I'm quite unsure of the fitters in my area after the last round so I would have to travel to find something decent I think.

1. Is there a "specific way" and/or excercises to this? Or is it just "do" and ride more?
2. Might be something to try further down the road.. Would it have any difference in the position I'm in now or are we talking if I remove some spacers in the front?
3. I actually don't feel more comfortable pulling them more back, might be that I'm used to around 90 degrees or greater. I feel more "stable" when I stretch a little as opposed to being "flat over the pads". Perhaps I could/should angle the extensions "upwards" as this creates more of a stop? I don't know how I can do this on the Pro Missile Evo though.
4. That's what I was hoping for and yeah it does feel natural. Perhaps I could try a few mm's of seat heigth and see if it makes any difference.
5. I think the reach on the pro missile evo is only available in 15mm increments because of the holes on the extensions.

Any advice as of to a new helm? I guess in the current position there's no need for a tail as I'm not "flat enough" perhaps?
Quote Reply