Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Would you race on this (cracked seat stay)?
Quote | Reply
I noticed cracks in my right seat stay while washing down my bike after a ride this weekend. I didn't crash, or hit anything rough (that I know of), so I am not quite sure how it happened. I understand it is relatively straightforward to have repaired. But, I have a race this Sunday (olympic distance) and I'm not sure I can have the repair done by then. What say you, ST'ers? Would you race 40K on this? The course does have some rough patches of asphalt.

Quote Reply
Re: Would you race on this (cracked seat stay)? [robegan99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...for reference, a pic of the entire bike:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. The chances of it snapping are slim, but the consequences if it does are potentially catastrophic.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you race on this (cracked seat stay)? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
No. The chances of it snapping are slim, but the consequences if it does are potentially catastrophic.

Ditto that, not worth the chances
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nope
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like it took quite an impact. I would not race it (and I've been racing one with a small feather crack in the frame for over 3 years now).
Quote Reply
Re: Would you race on this (cracked seat stay)? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
It looks like it took quite an impact. I would not race it (and I've been racing one with a small feather crack in the frame for over 3 years now).

Yeah, that's what I was thinking: looks like something hit it rather than some type of stress fracture from barreling through a pothole or similar. My bikes live a rather cushy life when I am not on them, so I can only guess that happened in transition a couple weeks back at my last race, and somehow I only noticed it now.

Oh well, I guess I'll give up some time this weekend on my road bike and I'll start looking for someone to repair this.

Thanks for the replies!
Quote Reply