Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Santa Rosa fires [some_devil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just reading the news and it looks like unfavorable conditions again today for firefighters and homeowners. Be safe people.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa fires [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will this affect IMSR 2018?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa fires [Yeti racer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeti racer wrote:

Well that didn't take long
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa fires [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Yeti racer wrote:

Well that didn't take long

Sorry and I feel for everyone who's had to experience this disaster BUT this thread is titled "IM Santa Rosa fires" is it not? Im asking for a friend who signed up for the race last month.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa fires [Yeti racer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When its all said and done the fire areas may not even be visible from the course. There are two hotels that were lost that a lot of athletes stay in (Hilton and Fountaingeove Inn) ... there is also a small fire near Geyserville just off the bike course.

In the end the community will need the tourism and income that races will bring us here in Sonoma County. More than just homes and businesses lost there will be a lot of trickle down including jobs lost, tourism, and from a personal perspective I suspect I will have clients that likely will not be racing next year or spending money on coaching.

For the person who suspects the fire started from down electrical poles? We should not spread rumors ... everything now is here-say

Let me know if anyone needs more updates

Cheers,

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa fires [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the Chron:
http://www.sfgate.com/...Country-12269146.php

"
12:45 p.m. Officials say power lines possibly sparked some wildfires, drought helped spread it: As officials probe the source of a series of Northern California wildfires that left 21 dead, the cause remains unknown, but there were reports that strong winds had knocked down numerous power lines between 9:20 p.m. and 10 p.m. on Sunday night, about the time the fires broke out in Napa and Sonoma counties.
“We are investigating a number of potential causes, including whether reports of power lines falling down and electrical transformers exploding Sunday night may have caused some of the wildfires in the region,” said Janet Upton, deputy director of the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, also known as Cal Fire.
Cal Fire Chief Ken Pimlott said at a Wednesday news conference that the fires were driven by a “critically dry fuel bed” across the state. “We are still impacted by five years of drought,” he said. The recent wet season that brought California out of the drought was ineffective in tempering dry, explosive conditions, Pimlott said."
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa fires [JustinNorCal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last I heard Eric G's house was okay.

The fires have 0% containment.

It is surreal, shocking, scary. Utter disbelief.

My heart breaks that friends in Napa are still facing more evacuations and uncertainty.

Emily Cocks
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa fires [swimmerwhotris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimmerwhotris wrote:

My heart breaks that friends in Napa are still facing more evacuations and uncertainty.

Emily Cocks

I'm sorry to hear about your house Emily.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa fires [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I frequent a California weather blog. One of the posters there lives in Willits. Here's how one of the fires (Redwood Valley) started:

"Just met an evacuee at the Ukiah Coop from Potter Valley, his blue Prius jammed with stuff.
"Hate to say it, but my property was ground zero where the fire started.." (Redwood Complex)
He basically said winds blew an oak into powerlines, sparks ingnited grass, hit the neighbors hay barn, barn "exploded", that house went up, half hour later it hit Redwood Valley.
His house was spared, but he remains evacuated"
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa fires [swimmerwhotris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimmerwhotris wrote:

Emily Cocks

Heeeey! You are here. Alive. Talking. That's what's important.

I lost everything I owned once. It bothered me greatly then. Today, looking back, all that stuff didn't matter not one bit.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa fires [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cycling friends lost their house today. My long time friends (and mutual friends of Dave L.) evacuated yesterday, but got lucky with changing winds (so far).

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa fires [some_devil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have heard some rumors that the IMSR 2018 might be delayed. Anyone on the ground heard anything to that effect?

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa fires [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The local RD made no mention of it in his FB Live update about a month ago. He stated that while the community itself was obviously impacted, no portions of any part of the course were.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa fires [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would seem odd to delay it unless they are lacking volunteers which is a possibility. Considering thousands lost homes I would imagine there is a lot of sensitivity right now working through logistics of a race. I don't think the fires impacted the course. Hopefully it goes as scheduled IMSR offers a way to give back to the local community.
Quote Reply

Prev Next