Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Jemele Hill Suspended [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. Every time she is on ESPN radio I turn to a different station. She has a difficult time articulating a clear statement and when she does it is evident that she knows little about the sport she is talking about.

It's interesting that the very people who have been elevated by diversity hiring practices/policies can be the people that seem to complain the most about being oppressed. There is a local sports talk guy on a station in Chicago who is the same way.
Quote Reply
Re: Jemele Hill Suspended [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
SH wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
Took them a loooong time to decide to do something:

"Jemele Hill, the controversial ESPN anchor who called for fans to boycott the NFL after labeling President Trump a “white supremacist” on Twitter, has been suspended for two weeks by the network.
Hill violated the company’s social media guidelines a second time, according to ESPN, after she called on fans to take indirect action against the Dallas Cowboys after owner Jerry Jones told players they would be benched if they didn't stand up during the national anthem."

If I were Jemele I wouldn't worry too much. ESPN needs her every bit as much as she needs them.

Pink?

No, pink. She's their whole destination and mission statement. How could they go on after firing the young, idealistic, free speech, sports girl?

Edit: Hmmm... maybe not so young, but at least new.
Last edited by: SH: Oct 10, 17 8:34
Quote Reply
Re: Jemele Hill Suspended [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
windywave wrote:
SH wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

"Jemele Hill, the controversial ESPN anchor who called for fans to boycott the NFL after labeling President Trump a “white supremacist” on Twitter, has been suspended for two weeks by the network.
Hill violated the company’s social media guidelines a second time, according to ESPN, after she called on fans to take indirect action against the Dallas Cowboys after owner Jerry Jones told players they would be benched if they didn't stand up during the national anthem."

If I were Jemele I wouldn't worry too much. ESPN needs her every bit as much as she needs them.

Pink?

No, pink. She's their whole destination and mission statement. How could they go on after firing the young, idealistic, free speech, sports girl?

I think ESPN's recent dumping of lots of "talent" shows that they can pretty much keep chugging along regardless of who they fire. They don't "need" any of their on air personalities to keep going.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Jemele Hill Suspended [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, another day, another tweet. Trump just can't let anything go.

http://money.cnn.com/...spn-trump/index.html
Quote Reply
Re: Jemele Hill Suspended [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The thing w/ those kinds of 'talent' jobs is they're sorta like independent contractors in that they (or their agents) can all negotiate whatever they can get for a contract, rather than a more conventional corporate worker bee or gov't job where each rung in the ladder has a preset salary range. So, when it comes time to make cuts, it's a lot like the major pro sports where a GM might keep a mediocre guy on a cheap deal and cut a superior player who costs too much over market. I thought a lot of much better writers got shown the door during the last big purge, but not knowing how much they each made it's hard to judge the merits of one cut vs another (not speaking of Hill in particular).

The Bill Simmons saga was an interesting window into how much ESPN was willing to put up with to capture eyeballs vs antagonizing their sacred (cash) cows.
Quote Reply
Re: Jemele Hill Suspended [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
SH wrote:
windywave wrote:
SH wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

Pink?

I think ESPN's recent dumping of lots of "talent" shows that they can pretty much keep chugging along regardless of who they fire. They don't "need" any of their on air personalities to keep going.

The whole reason for the talent dump is that their financial position is akin to a dumpster fire. Not sure that is "chugging along". Ratings are down, rights fees are skyrocketing, and it is basically ESPN that is tanking Disney stock.
Quote Reply
Re: Jemele Hill Suspended [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
slowguy wrote:
SH wrote:
windywave wrote:
SH wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

Pink?

The whole reason for the talent dump is that their financial position is akin to a dumpster fire. Not sure that is "chugging along". Ratings are down, rights fees are skyrocketing, and it is basically ESPN that is tanking Disney stock.

The last statement is pretty much true. You would glorify ESPN's current state if you said that they were casually chugging along. It seems more to me like they are struggling to keep up and stay relevant, and that was probably a big part of why Jemele was suspended. Albeit somewhat less talented, she is extremely outspoken which means she might rub some people the wrong way. At this point ESPN needs everyone they can get on their side. I believe thats the main reason behind her suspension, not the fact that she violated some irrelevant social media code of conduct
Quote Reply
Re: Jemele Hill Suspended [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
j p o wrote:
davec wrote:
slowguy wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
slowguy wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

I’m not going to defend Hill against her punishment. If she violated ESPNs policy, then she should probably be suspended, especially since she was reprimanded previously. But in this case, she didn’t really call on fans to take action against the Cowboys. She told fans that if they wanted to make a statement, they should do it themselves by communicating their dissatisfaction with advertisers, rather than demanding that key players for the Cowboys take the risk on themselves by protesting and possibly being benched.

In the realm of offensive Tweets, this series doesn’t even register, in my mind.

The message I got was it's OK to call the President a White Supremacist but don't dare go after advertisers....It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world...

Or it could just be a case of, first offense gets a warning, second gets a punishment. But hey, if you really want to see political conspiracy,....

It’s not a political conspiracy.

It is about the almighty dollar. Don’t upset the people that pay the bills.

You mean your boss will get mad if you fuck with the people who pay you? It is almost as if that makes perfect sense and doesn't require any conspiracy.

Dingleberry my boss would have fired my ass after the first transgression.

Pretty sure most fast food workers wouldn't get fired for a tweet like that.
Quote Reply

Prev Next