Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why are American politicians so cheap to buy?
Quote | Reply
http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/06/politics/harvey-weinstein-democrats/index.html I read this article and the way its written makes it sound like its going to be so hard for the Democrats to say anything negative about Harvey Weinstein given he was such a big donor and all. Biggest donations to individuals were Hilary and Chuck Schumer both less than 20K in total over multiple races. Chicken scratch for a rich individual. Yes he did organize fund raisers but shirley someone else can do that. What am I missing?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Why are American politicians so cheap to buy? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/06/politics/harvey-weinstein-democrats/index.html I read this article and the way its written makes it sound like its going to be so hard for the Democrats to say anything negative about Harvey Weinstein given he was such a big donor and all. Biggest donations to individuals were Hilary and Chuck Schumer both less than 20K in total over multiple races. Chicken scratch for a rich individual. Yes he did organize fund raisers but shirley someone else can do that. What am I missing?

Let me give you three things...
1.) He knew them well.
2.) They are his friends.
3.) People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
3.) He's tied to them now, no matter what.
3.) The fund raisers he organized brought in a lot of $$$.

The $$$ is the least important component in all this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Biggest donations to individuals were Hilary and Chuck Schumer both less than 20K in total over multiple races.

And you believe that?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Biggest donations to individuals were Hilary and Chuck Schumer both less than 20K in total over multiple races. Chicken scratch for a rich individual. Yes he did organize fund raisers but shirley someone else can do that. What am I missing?

You're missing the money trail.

The Koch brothers spent about $400 million in the 2012 election, mainly to get Romney to change his mind on the causes of global warming and to ensure the GOP would repeal the estate taxes and loosen regulations over the Clean Air Act and anything else that would help their businesses.

Buying politicians is not cheap and it would certainly take more than $20K. With the Supreme Court decision to allow unlimited campaign financing after the Citizen's United Case, there was a reported $2.5 Billion in private money spent in 2012 and it's only going to get worse. Oligarchies aren't cheap, even for the super rich.
Quote Reply
Re: Why are American politicians so cheap to buy? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is part of what I don't get with Weinstein. Sheldon Adelson gives amounts in the millions. Yet Weinstein is some "big donor" that the Obamas and Clinton are reluctant to criticize?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Messaging & virtue signalling all have fees attached. Looks like he's collecting.
Quote Reply
Re: Why are American politicians so cheap to buy? [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should have just kept reading big kahunas thread about all this. I think this is one of those increasing time spent on the internet leading to decreased happiness things.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
I should have just kept reading big kahunas thread about all this. I think this is one of those increasing time spent on the internet leading to decreased happiness things.

Bingo. Also, increased internet reading leads to decease of knowledge. Just read Sanuk's reply (but, but those evil Koch Brothers....)
Quote Reply