Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road Bike vs. Tri bike for 2.5 months training
Quote | Reply
Hello.
So I've got a new Canyon Speedmax, which I use for IM 70.3/IM races and indoor training.
Also I've got a 2014 aluminum road bike on tiagra/105.

I'm planning to visit Spain (Tenerife, Lanzarote) for 2.5 months.
I have not decided - what would be better for my general IM70.3/IM preparation - the tri bike or road.

I don't wanna my new Speedmax stolen/damaged during the flights or the training period.
But on the other hand, I'm worried that I'll forget the right position on my tri bike+ different muscles will be used while training on the road bike.

What would you do if you were in my place?
Thank you.
Last edited by: NickMa: Oct 9, 17 5:53
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike vs. Tri bike for 2.5 months training [NickMa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on how far out your race is. I would bring the road bike, unless your first race is 3 months out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Road bike set up with some inexpensive clip on aerobars. There has been many discussions on this forum and other places on how to set up your road bike as a tri-bike. Unless your "A" race is within a month or two of your return...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys.
A race will IM Wales in September, there's plenty of time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode my road bike pretty much exclusively since last September, then switched back to my tri bike roughly a month and a half ago for a 70.3 in two weeks. It took a little time to get back into the swing of things, but within 2 weeks I was feeling quite comfortable. Now I'm doing 3 hour trainer sessions mostly in aero on the tri bike (and I hate aero on the trainer). Doesn't take all that long to get back into tri bike shape. I also much rather ride my road bike for enjoyment. So I'd take the roadie........unless you just get a lot more enjoyment out of the tri bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good answers so far. I would add that it is probably not that big of a deal depending upon how long have you been adapted to a proper tri position. As in, how many years have you been on a tri bike and how many hours / year do you train on it? Once you are up in the 10s of thousands of miles, the pedaling requires very little time. Things like your neck and touch points will take longer to re-adjust then your pedaling/power. And those things can be tolerated for one race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roadie without question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find it's best to train with the tools of the sport.

If you planned to play baseball, would you take a baseball or basket ball?
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike vs. Tri bike for 2.5 months training [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Feet on pedals is using the tools of the sport.
Quote Reply