Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speeding ticket
Quote | Reply
I have had tickets before, but generally I knew I did what the ticket was for, even if it was not intentional. Speeding while not paying attention, or whatever.

However, today, I got a ticket while commuting with 3 friends. All of us in separate cars. I was the 3rd car in our 4 car group. The first car had his cruise control at 61mph in a 55mph zone. Cop going against traffic does a u-turn and the last car in our group pulls to the side of the road and I did the same. The cop pulls behind me and I’m clueless as to why I was stopped. He asked me to turn my car off and I did. I then asked what I did wrong and He said I was doing 74mph and writes me the ticket. After handing me the ticket, he asked if I had questions. I said, I do. I first asked where I was doing 74mph. He said, back there. I said, where exactly. He repeated, back there. I then told him I was in a group of cars with friends and I was following the car ahead of me and to my knowledge nobody was speeding. He then said nobody was ahead of me. I said there were cars ahead of me and asked if he stopped the wrong car and then he said he saw my license plate. I just said, “whatever”as I was frustrated. Then I left. I later though, what the hell- I don’t even have a front license plate on my car! We were all driving sports cars and he was kinda giving me a hard time because the other cars were my friends. As if, that alone means I should get a ticket!

I’m really ticked off and my friends say it was bs.

So, question is, I know I can say “not guilty” and later talk to the district attorney for a deal. I am wondering how far you should fight a ticket. I’m sure it’s not easy to actually get the ticket dropped.
Quote Reply
Re: Speeding ticket [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Show up for the court date and lay out a defense to the Judge. Get affidavits from your friends, ask the cop questions about how he determined your speed, etc, did he lose sight of you - I'm sure others will know how to best depose the cop. The judge may find you guilty but ask for traffic school (that's how it works where I live). You'll likely not prevail but shouldn't cost you more than it would,otherwise.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: Speeding ticket [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
jharris wrote:
I have had tickets before, but generally I knew I did what the ticket was for, even if it was not intentional. Speeding while not paying attention, or whatever.

However, today, I got a ticket while commuting with 3 friends. All of us in separate cars. I was the 3rd car in our 4 car group. The first car had his cruise control at 61mph in a 55mph zone. Cop going against traffic does a u-turn and the last car in our group pulls to the side of the road and I did the same. The cop pulls behind me and I’m clueless as to why I was stopped. He asked me to turn my car off and I did. I then asked what I did wrong and He said I was doing 74mph and writes me the ticket. After handing me the ticket, he asked if I had questions. I said, I do. I first asked where I was doing 74mph. He said, back there. I said, where exactly. He repeated, back there. I then told him I was in a group of cars with friends and I was following the car ahead of me and to my knowledge nobody was speeding. He then said nobody was ahead of me. I said there were cars ahead of me and asked if he stopped the wrong car and then he said he saw my license plate. I just said, “whatever”as I was frustrated. Then I left. I later though, what the hell- I don’t even have a front license plate on my car! We were all driving sports cars and he was kinda giving me a hard time because the other cars were my friends. As if, that alone means I should get a ticket!

So, question is, I know I can say “not guilty” and later talk to the district attorney for a deal. I am wondering how far you should fight a ticket. I’m sure it’s not easy to actually get the ticket dropped.

Wait a minute. You are the third car and he gives you a ticket, but not the last = fourth (who according to you also pulled over)?

That sounds highly unusual... I guess him given the choice (?), he obviously liked your car better.

Yes, he didn't pull over the last car. Funny part is, the last car was also my car. My friend was driving it. Regardless, he said he saw the cop and as a typical response hit the brakes. He said he was doing 63mph when he hit the brakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:

You all commute together in separate cars?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is your car red?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Speeding ticket [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy101 wrote:
jharris wrote:

Yes, cuz we were doing a get together with our cars. Kinda a car club thing. We were driving back after meeting a friend in another town.
Quote Reply
Re: Speeding ticket [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Is your car red?

Dark grey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speeding tickets suck. I got one earlier this year from, apparently, a speed camera. Problem was, my very first notification came by a collection agency, for a violation I supposedly committed 18 months prior, making it long past time to contest the ticket, and having more than doubled the fine for "late payment."

These things are nothing more than income tools for the States. Not really at all about enforcing the law or public safety.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Speeding ticket [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Speeding tickets suck. I got one earlier this year from, apparently, a speed camera. Problem was, my very first notification came by a collection agency, for a violation I supposedly committed 18 months prior, making it long past time to contest the ticket, and having more than doubled the fine for "late payment."

These things are nothing more than income tools for the States. Not really at all about enforcing the law or public safety.

In PA they just recently got rid of the annual stickers for the license plates. It cost $1.2M annually to produce the stickers, however there has been a $29M loss in fines for expired plates since the change. So now, two state reps are trying to get the stickers back because they want the revenue.

http://www.poconorecord.com/...new-vehicle-stickers

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Speeding ticket [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:

Yeah, the City of Cedar Rapids, IA had speed cameras set up. State took them down because it was nothing but a revenue generator for the city, $4.4 million a year. DOT insisted that they had jurisdiction over interstates and I guess they want the revenue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup , show up in court ...he probably won’t. If he does make sure you have a friend witness , and take a video of the stretch of the road, and make some diagrams and write down all your notes now. You’ll beat it.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
triguy101 wrote:
jharris wrote:

Yes, cuz we were doing a get together with our cars. Kinda a car club thing. We were driving back after meeting a friend in another town.

If this is your story, you're going to get crushed. No disrespect intended, but your story has lots of holes. Cop's story will be simple. Judge will believe the cop. You will have to convince the judge that you, and 3 of your buddies, out driving sports cars as part of a regular group thing were not speeding. It's not going to happen.

Also, in California at least, having a front license plate is the law. If your defense is the cop mid-ID'd you b/c you don't have a front license plate, you could be creating other problems for yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We were all driving sports cars //

Ah ha, I found it. A line of street racers in their tried out Porsches, or whatever. This shit gives traffic cops hard ons and someone had to get screwed, just turned out to be you.

I would fight it just for the chance he doesn't show up. If he does then you can give your sob story to the judge with all your paperwork from your friends. Then it just depends on what the judge thinks of rich guys playing in their race cars... (-;
Quote Reply
Re: Speeding ticket [jw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 That's my experience also. Basically if it is your word against the cop, cop wins.

Last edited by: last tri in 83: Oct 9, 17 10:31
Quote Reply
Re: Speeding ticket [jw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
If this is your story, you're going to get crushed.
+1

Unless you have dashcam video that directly contradicts the cop, what they say goes.

They could have everything about the situation wrong, but the judge will just ask you why the cop would lie, and your, and your friend's statements will have no effect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like it wasn't your day. Pay the fine. Be done with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I had a similar event happen:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...e_P6084098/#p6084098

I paid as Carlsbad, New Mexico is about 600 miles away. Too far to travel to fight it.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plead no lo contendre (sp) and let the judge decide your fate. Most of the time they will dismiss the ticket and give you school and a fine, which is way better than points and a raise in your insurance.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Re: Speeding ticket [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
slowguy wrote:

In PA they just recently got rid of the annual stickers for the license plates. It cost $1.2M annually to produce the stickers, however there has been a $29M loss in fines for expired plates since the change. So now, two state reps are trying to get the stickers back because they want the revenue.

Aren't they using license plate readers, which are more effective for finding someone with an expired registration than visually looking at stickers?
Last edited by: AlanShearer: Oct 9, 17 11:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i got a speeding ticket in lexington, va a few years ago. it was ~6am on a saturday and i was leaving my brother's college graduation to go to a training camp in chapel hill, nc. had my bike in the back of my (red) car and was really the only car on the road. i got off a bigger highway onto a smaller one and didn't see any speed limit signs and it was a relatively big road. if i remember correctly, i was going 60-65 and the ACTUAL speed limit was 50 i think. honest mistake, the cop who pulled me over was even cyclist. seemed like a rule follower though. wrote me a ticket, i showed up in lexington, va court (i lived in charlotte, nc at the time) and contested the ticket. the cop was there and made his case, i made mine, basically saying that it was an honest mistake. judge set the penalty at whatever the lowest speeding violation was so it was only 1 point on my license or something. i just had to pay court fees i think.

this was all back in 2011 or so, my memory is a bit hazy.

the short answer is: it depends. the fact that you were all driving together TO a club event in "sports" cars does not work in your favor, however. i'm surprised none of you have video, that seems to be ubiquitous among "that" crowd.
Quote Reply
Re: Speeding ticket [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
slowguy wrote:

Aren't they using license plate readers, which are more effective for finding someone with an expired registration than visually looking at stickers?

In the article I posted, one guy said they're great and another said they don't work. The one who said they don't work is a former state trooper and now a representative. The one who said they do work is currently a cop.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply