Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chicago Marathon
Quote | Reply
Did I just miss it or has there been no discussion around Galen Rupp's Chicago win? And Jordan Hasay set the second fastest marathon time by an American in her second career marathon to finish third. Impressive showing by the Americans.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Marathon [Patrick E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since I've been watching that girl run ( she was 10 or 11) I always said she is going to be a great marathon runner someday. It pained me all these years that she tried to be a sprinter(in endurance races) but now he has come home to her real calling.

I am so not surprised at her debut and this follow up. She should make a fortune now and possible a gold medal at the next olympics. She is that good...

And Rupp's last 4 miles or so at 4;35 pace was pretty awesome. Very tactical race and played right into his strength. Now only question is can he run 26.2 miles at low 4;40 pace, now that would be nice for American running..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m also very surprised no one here is talking about it. Huge win for Galen Rupp. His 5k splits are awesome to look at. Can he hang in London or Berlin with the world record chasers at some point in the future? I’m hearing this was the 2nd fastest marathon for an American female. If so, that’s really impressive. Also something to watch going forward.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Marathon [Crazy Legs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's not forget Chris Derrick's debut marathon. Excellent debut and only 3:30 behind Rupp. We also had the "hippy" Noah Droddy at 2:16, 7:06 behind...American distance running has some future in it, to develop with over the next couple of pre-Olympic years. I'm cheering for all these young stars, just stunning results. Jaw dropper with Jordan running what she did, I'm trying to place the right words to describe it--but "wow" just doesn't seem to fit here.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Marathon [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watched it while on trainer this morning. Great run by Rupp and Hasay.

Let food be thy medicine...
Last edited by: JackStraw13: Oct 8, 17 17:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had completely spaced that Chicago was this week. Exciting to see Rupp take the victory. I was reading the write up on letsrun, really strong finish in the last 5 miles which is s good sign. In 2012 he ended a 48 year Olympic medal drought in the 10k and today he became the first American born runner to win a major marathon in 34 years. Really awesome.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn’t see the race (I was running in the race), but I thought it was interesting that the men’s race appears to have been very tactical while the women’s race appears to have been pretty much all out. Tirunesh Dibaba ran the fourth or fifth fastest women’s marathon of all time. So, obviously the conditions were decent for fast running. Jordan Hasay’s time is really impressive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about Chris Legh running 2:29 to finish 3rd Master and 60th overall
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's interesting that Rupp did not wear the vaporfly elite or whatever they're called.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/...ng-instructions.html

“Take the chip away. Take off the team shirt. Go walking at 21 and suddenly you get in, ”

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Marathon [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Since I've been watching that girl run ( she was 10 or 11) I always said she is going to be a great marathon runner someday. It pained me all these years that she tried to be a sprinter(in endurance races) but now he has come home to her real calling.

I am so not surprised at her debut and this follow up. She should make a fortune now and possible a gold medal at the next olympics. She is that good...

Fully agree. First time I saw her was when that blonde hair flew past me in a 5k. She won the race. She was 8 or 9 (Talley Fun Run).

This probably sounds lame, but she should run faster. She can run faster than that. Yeah. I may as well be her coach. Haha. Jordan is a freaking rockstar runner.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Marathon [jt3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt3 wrote:
How about Chris Legh running 2:29 to finish 3rd Master and 60th overall

Yeah, that is pretty good at 44 for a guy that back in the day was a 2:50 IM marathon guy at best.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Marathon [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
I think it's interesting that Rupp did not wear the vaporfly elite or whatever they're called.

He was wearing the Vaporfly 4%. Makes sense that he would wear the commercially available shoe (if they’re ever going to be commercially available again, that is).

The best shoe I’ve ever run a marathon in, but I didn’t break 2 hours.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Marathon [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, looks like you might be right. I thought the swoosh on that shoe was further to the side and went down onto the EVA foam, but I guess not. That's not an available color though, is it?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Patrick E wrote:
Did I just miss it or has there been no discussion around Galen Rupp's Chicago win?

Oh, there's discussion!

Just not that positive...

Quote:

Ross Tucker

âś”@Scienceofsport

The least believable athlete in distance running, who shares pinnacle of suspicion with Farah, wins Chicago, in 2:09:19.

Galen isn't the most likeable of athletes, even without factoring in the above sentiments.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Yeah, looks like you might be right. I thought the swoosh on that shoe was further to the side and went down onto the EVA foam, but I guess not. That's not an available color though, is it?

Well, right now they don’t have any available colors, but it’s the color on their website for the shoe that you can’t actually order. They had that color in the $150 version at the expo and Niketown. Runner’s World was reporting that they were supposed to have a Chicago edition of the 4% (in grayish), but that didn’t happen. I’d love to know what production issues they’re having with the shoe as I’m sure Nike was bummed they couldn’t sell it at Chicago. They would’ve sold thousands of pairs if they had them in stock.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

RowToTri wrote:

He is not wearing the vaporfly?

Last edited by: 1poseur1: Oct 9, 17 12:49
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Marathon [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See the post directly above yours.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Marathon [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
Patrick E wrote:
Did I just miss it or has there been no discussion around Galen Rupp's Chicago win?

Oh, there's discussion!

Just not that positive...

Quote:
Ross Tucker

âś”@Scienceofsport

The least believable athlete in distance running, who shares pinnacle of suspicion with Farah, wins Chicago, in 2:09:19.

Galen isn't the most likeable of athletes, even without factoring in the above sentiments.

yea, most of the worthy discussion was on twitter...ha.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Marathon [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So here's what I don't get.

You have Kenyans and Ethiopians running 2:02 - 2:04 routinely in flat marathons, who have little to no OOC drug testing, but Rupp (who get's tested more than any runner in the USA), runs a SLOW 2:09 on a flat course, and everyone screams he must be DOPING. Yet no one even QUESTIONS those Kenyan or Ethiopian guys....

I have no doubt that Al Sal has skirted the lines of performance enhancement and experimentation with things like L-Carnitine and thyroid medication (which are legal in competition substances). Considering neither of those have been proven to enhance performance, like say EPO and steroids, how can you even mention doping.

Considering Dibaba's buddy and her sister's coach got busted at a pre-Olympics camp with a closet-full of EPO and roids, no one blinks an eye, and yet Hasay is suspect because she's on NOP and coached by Sal.

What a double standard.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Marathon [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sto wrote:
So here's what I don't get.

You have Kenyans and Ethiopians running 2:02 - 2:04 routinely in flat marathons, who have little to no OOC drug testing, but Rupp (who get's tested more than any runner in the USA), runs a SLOW 2:09 on a flat course, and everyone screams he must be DOPING. Yet no one even QUESTIONS those Kenyan or Ethiopian guys....

I have no doubt that Al Sal has skirted the lines of performance enhancement and experimentation with things like L-Carnitine and thyroid medication (which are legal in competition substances). Considering neither of those have been proven to enhance performance, like say EPO and steroids, how can you even mention doping.

Considering Dibaba's buddy and her sister's coach got busted at a pre-Olympics camp with a closet-full of EPO and roids, no one blinks an eye, and yet Hasay is suspect because she's on NOP and coached by Sal.

What a double standard.

You need to update yourself on what is discussed in running circles.
I would recommend letsrun.com
A lot has been written about doping in Kenya and Ethiopia. I am not sure how you can say that is not discussed?

No double standard.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Marathon [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read Brojo's site every day. And the silly message boards full of trolls and children, which I try to avoid. I'm completely aware of the Fancy Bears leak and the "all of NOP is on drugs" bent over there. Now Rupp apparently got a last minute pacer for Chicaho and other nonsense....

Really Halvard. Everyone on LR hates on Rupp and always has. Yet no one goes bananas on Evan Jager like that.

Not a single post on the current page about African dopers....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know, I think it is pretty well established that Dibaba just hasn't been caught yet. What you don't get is people gushing about Rupp because those following along know the other shoe is going to drop at some point. Simply being associated with Alberto Salazar is enough reason. The only thing more suspicious might be getting consulting services from Ferrari. Rupp is pretty much getting the same reception that Justin Gatlin got for his silver medal in Rio. The funny thing is that in the UK Mo is a national hero, where as the rest of the world that follows running knows better.

Running at the international level has so many problems. The poster child is the women's 1500 in London where eventually 6 of the top 9 were busted for doping. Some years the times get slower as testing catches up, but it is a pretty constant problem.

Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Marathon [dogmile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The ONLY thing that came to light in the leaked Fancy Bears report was the they may have gone over the limit with the amount of L-Carnitine that can me administered in an injection (or vs. an infusion). Seriously. Was there anything in there about steroids, EPO, real proven PEDs? I know that Al Sal is close to Lance and that doesn't look good.

The reality is Rupp has never even broken 2:09. That's slow AF in today's pro marathon game. With all the resources NOP has, they can't get Rupp faster than 2:09??? That's a shitty doping program if you ask me :)

Mo is far more suspect having hung around Aden and his training group (and the fact that he wins every single time on the track). Rupp doesn't. I'm not aware he even leaves the USA to train. That said, I hear you on the idolization of Mo in the UK. Yet they like to pillory Sky (Froome and Wiggins are favorite doping suspects,even though there is no proof).

I don't get it.

As far as Dibaba, which one? Haha. They are all super suspect in my opinion. When your coach gets busted with 60 preloaded EPO syringes, its hard to ignore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is not so much about his marathon time as his previous performances on the track and how he suddenly got that fast. Fancy Bear is just the tip. A lot of smoke has come out from former Nike Oregon Project athletes... the Gouchers, Rohatinsky, etc. Kara stating that Salazar wanted her to use Rupp's thyroid meds. Steve Magness former NOP assistant coach says Salazar used a hollowed out book to send controlled substances through customs, that "one" of the athletes was on testosterone, and that Salazar used his own son to test how much testosterone gel was needed to trigger a positive drug test result... Also that Magness was the guinea pig of an experimental L-carinitine infusion which had results similar to blood doping... Lots of smoke. Anyone but a "home country" athlete would long be written off.

Quote Reply