Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Guru's, how convert an Italian BB frame to allow a "modern" crank?
Quote | Reply
I have >20yr old Italian frame and I'm considering putting on a powermeter crank. What crank type, which really means what BB standard, should I get? That is to say, what modern BB standard does an Italian threaded frame easily convert to? Then I'll just get a crank designed for that standard.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Last edited by: RangerGress: Oct 8, 17 16:56
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Guru's, how convert an Italian BB frame to allow a "modern" crank? [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get shimano bottom bracket with italian threads, like:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...%7C%7Cprd%7C389532CA

(choose 'italian' and 70mm)

Then just get a powermeter that works with shimano cranks, like stages or pioneer, or a power2max rotor 3d crank, etc.
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Oct 8, 17 17:04
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Guru's, how convert an Italian BB frame to allow a "modern" crank? [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any Italian threaded bottom bracket will work.

Shimano crank with Shimano bottom bracket.

SRAM crank with SRAM bottom bracket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You probably also want to check the rear dropout spacing. You will want it to be 130mm.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Guru's, how convert an Italian BB frame to allow a "modern" crank? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

SRAM Quark crank comes in GXP or BB30 versions. So I buy a SRAM Italian BB and their BB30 crank somehow fits? I dunno man, that doesn't sound right.

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Guru's, how convert an Italian BB frame to allow a "modern" crank? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
You probably also want to check the rear dropout spacing. You will want it to be 130mm.
What does that have to do with BB's and cranks?

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

SRAM Quark crank comes in GXP or BB30 versions. So I buy a SRAM Italian BB and their BB30 crank somehow fits? I dunno man, that doesn't sound right.

The SRAM bottom bracket with Italian threading is only available in the GXP version, so you would need to buy a GXP crankset.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

Current generation cranksets/groups are 10 or 11 speed. They require 130mm spacing between the rear dropouts to accommodate a 10 or 11 speed cassette.

Older frames might have 126mm rear dropout spacing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
RangerGress wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

Current generation cranksets/groups are 10 or 11 speed. They require 130mm spacing between the rear dropouts to accommodate a 10 or 11 speed cassette.

Why are you talking about dropouts in a thread re. bottom brackets and cranks? What am I missing?

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
RangerGress wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

The SRAM bottom bracket with Italian threading is only available in the GXP version, so you would need to buy a GXP crankset.
Ah so. Good info, thanks.

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Guru's, how convert an Italian BB frame to allow a "modern" crank? [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gabbiev wrote:
I thought that a true BB30 crankset would have a spindle too short for a frameset with a BSA BB shell...

Correct. But SRAM "BB30" isn't normal, they use a longer spindle than the original Cannondale spec which was also meant to reduce Q factor. The only thing they have in common with "true" BB30 is the spindle diameter. For stiffness, if you buy into that kind of bollocks.

Handy for me because I was able to buy a used BB30 Quarq for peanuts and run it in my P3C using BSA adaptors. Until I migrated the Quarq spider onto a GXP crankset.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which brand and model group are you going to put on this frame?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easiest would be to get a IT threaded Shimano BB and use a standard spindle. The option for a BB30 would be Zipp Vuma IT threaded, works great on my Pinarello F8.

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
RangerGress wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

Why are you talking about dropouts in a thread re. bottom brackets and cranks? What am I missing?

If this frame has 126mm rear dropout spacing, you won't be able to fit a modern wheel (ie one with a hub made in the last ten to fifteen years) between them. All modern road rim-brake wheels are 130mm from locknut to locknut.

You want your modern wheels to fit in there. It's worth confirming before you buy. You'll probably be pretty pissed if you sort out the BB/PM situation but find that you can't use any of your rear wheels in the frame.
Quote Reply