Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gearing question - 1x for climbing
Quote | Reply
So I'm aware of Sheldon Brown's website but honestly never fully wrapped my head around all of it - at high level I get it and as an engineer pretty slack that I don't understand it better...

Anyways - I put my road bike to a 1x setup just for fun. I'm running 52/11-32 SRAM Etap wifli. I live in Florida. That 32 is actually way too much spread for down here but no worries.

My question is for the Hincapie Gran Fondo do I change to a traditional 2x setup? I've done the course before and have climbed on my tri bike using 42/28 gearing and road bike using 36/28. What I'm trying to get a feel for is how much of a difference am I really going to feel using 52/32 over 42/28?

If I went to a 2x setup, I'd use 53/39 rings so I'd be looking at 39/32 - which would actually be quite a bit different from what I've done before.

Knowing that I did it in 42/28 and didn't die or fall over, should I be fine at 52/32 or should I play it safe and add the 2x?

Thanks for the input.
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing question - 1x for climbing [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
(52/32)*28=45.5

So a 52x32 is a larger granny than either of your previous rides.

52/(36/28)=40.4

So you'll need a 40 tooth largest cog to get near the granny of your mid compact bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing question - 1x for climbing [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quickly looked at a calculator - 42/28 is 39.45 gear inches. 52/32 is 42.87. The closest 42/something is 42/26. Which is pretty close to the next largest cassette sprocket. So could you do that ride if your rear had decided not to find the largest sprocket and you were stuck one down?

If you wanted to change something then do you need the 52/11? 48/32 is exactly the same as 42/28 so you could stick with 1x and just change the chain ring to a 48.
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing question - 1x for climbing [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a great visualization for me - could I ride it if I didn't have that last gear. I think I could but don't think I'd want to. I'm going to go to the 2x setup.

As for going to a smaller front chainring - I think 52t is the smallest SRAM makes at 130 BCD and I'd have to buy that ring regardless Going 2x doesn't cost me any money. I've got everything already.

Thanks for the input.
Quote Reply