Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Converting older Bianchi | 7s to 11s - what bottom bracket standard?
Quote | Reply

I want to upgrade an older Bianchi road bike from a 3x7 Sora group ideally to a 105 (5800) 11 speed group.
I hope it will all fit. I tested an 11 speed wheel with cassette in the rear drop-out and that works just fine.

Before ordering the parts, I need to know what the bottom bracket standard is.
Can you help me identify that from the below pictures?

Also if you could tell me what special tools are needed, that would help too.
Is there anything else I am missing?

Last edited by: BrickMick: Oct 8, 17 13:13
Quote Reply
Re: Converting older Bianchi | 7s to 11s - what bottom bracket standard? [BrickMick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That looks like a square taper bottom bracket. You are unlikely to find one in 11 speed but you might be able too. What you might end up having to do is buy a crank without the chainrings and then put 11 speed chainrings on there. If you want to replace the bottom bracket you need to take measurements, from the outside of the square taper to the outside and then the frame. You will need a crank puller from Park Tool, I want to say the CCP-22 would work. https://www.competitivecyclist.com/...LTIyOjE6MTpjY3AtMjI=
Quote Reply
Re: Converting older Bianchi | 7s to 11s - what bottom bracket standard? [rs1852] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Can I take a better picture to make it easier to identify what it is?

rs1852 wrote:
That looks like a square taper bottom bracket.
Quote Reply
Re: Converting older Bianchi | 7s to 11s - what bottom bracket standard? [BrickMick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No I am fairly certain it is a square taper BB.
Quote Reply
Re: Converting older Bianchi | 7s to 11s - what bottom bracket standard? [rs1852] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The OP needs to identify the bottom bracket's threading.

If the frame's bottom bracket shell is 68mm wide, it is English threaded. If the frame's bottom bracket shell is 70mm wide, it is Italian threaded.

You might also be able to identify the threading by looking at the bottom bracket that is currently installed in the frame. It might have "1.37 x 24" marked on it, which means English. Or it might have "36 x 24" marked on it, which means Italian.
Quote Reply
Re: Converting older Bianchi | 7s to 11s - what bottom bracket standard? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Once I identify the bottom bracket's threading, can I then change it such that it easily accepts a 5800 crankset?

jimatbeyond wrote:

If the frame's bottom bracket shell is 68mm wide, it is English threaded. If the frame's bottom bracket shell is 70mm wide, it is Italian threaded.

You might also be able to identify the threading by looking at the bottom bracket that is currently installed in the frame. It might have "1.37 x 24" marked on it, which means English. Or it might have "36 x 24" marked on it, which means Italian.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You wouldn't need to change anything.

Just install a Shimano SM-BBR60 bottom bracket with the appropriate threading and slide the crankset into it.
Quote Reply
Re: Converting older Bianchi | 7s to 11s - what bottom bracket standard? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

It'd have to be pretty old for it to be Italian thread. Most (lower end) Bianchi's were English threaded from about 2000.
Quote Reply
Re: Converting older Bianchi | 7s to 11s - what bottom bracket standard? [philg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Confirmed! It is english (68mm).
I was able to remove the crank without special puller tool.

Now I probably need a tool to get the bottom bracket out.
Is the thread direction normal (ccw to loose) or different for each side (like for pedals)?

philg wrote:
It'd have to be pretty old for it to be Italian thread. Most (lower end) Bianchi's were English threaded from about 2000.
jimatbeyond wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need a shimano splined bb tool like this to remove the old one:

Drivetrain side is LH thread, NDS is RH, so opposite to your pedals.

You will need a new tool to fit an Hollowtech2 external bearing bb such as the 105 one you mentioned.
Mostly its a spanner, but sockets are available.

The crankarms and axle are as 1, so all it does is slide through the bearings, and any end float is taken out like an aheadset.

Edit: just reading back, how old is your rear wheel? If its the same vintage as the rest of the bike, then an 11spd cassette is very unlikely to fit....
Last edited by: philg: Oct 8, 17 12:16
Quote Reply
Re: Converting older Bianchi | 7s to 11s - what bottom bracket standard? [philg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Good catch philg.
The wheel that is on there does indeed not take an 11s cassette. But I have another older wheel that fits in the frame and takes 11s cassettes.

philg wrote:
Edit: just reading back, how old is your rear wheel? If its the same vintage as the rest of the bike, then an 11spd cassette is very unlikely to fit....
Quote Reply