Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Please recommend a tire for my narrow rear wheel
Quote | Reply
I'm currently running an alloy Bontrager Race Lite Aero in the rear with a AeroJacket disc cover. The RL wheel is only ~18.5c wide. I'm presently using a GP4000s II 23c tire but wonder if I can do better?

My long-term plan is to get a wide disc wheel but that's not going to happen until a get a new bike that can accommodate it.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Last edited by: Timtek: Oct 8, 17 6:11
Quote Reply
Re: Please recommend a tire for my narrow rear wheel [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you could do a 20 mm conti supersonic for a marginal aero gain and a bit of rolling resistance. They tire seems to run a bit smaller anyway if I remember. I would use a 23mm conti ss. minimize rolling resistance and slightly better aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The SS 20 is a good choice. The TLR is also good. If you have a frame that does a good job of "faring" the leading edge of the front wheel, then TLR because of the lower Crr. For a decent frame most of the drag losses are likely to be from the low preassure area behind the wheel. The difference in CdA between a 20 and 23 probably won't be much. The newer SS is also closer to a 21 than a 20.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
I'm currently running an alloy Bontrager Race Lite Aero in the rear with a AeroJacket disc cover. The RL wheel is only ~18.5c wide. I'm presently using a GP4000s II 23c tire but wonder if I can do better?

My long-term plan is to get a wide disc wheel but that's not going to happen until a get a new bike that can accommodate it.
'

x3 on the 20mm SS.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have nothing to add other than to say when I got a set of the new wide stinger 6s 5 years ago, it was nearly impossible to get quality tubulars wide enough for those wheels. Everyone was riding 21s and 22s. Now it’s the opposite problem.
Quote Reply