Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: College Playoff [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Allow me to adjust my tinfoil hat before I continue ...

... Ok. It appears to me, the Committee is setting up justification to keep out the B10, regardless of who wins the B10 Championship Game.

That said, the first year of the playoffs, I think OSU was #16 in the first poll and got in. Last year (or the year before), TCU was in the top 4 during the second to last ranking, won, and was left out. So, not too much to really get excited about.

FWIW - I don't think WI will win out, so my personal butt-hurt will not be a factor in the final ranking.

Here's the thing, though ~ What is the marquee win any of the B1G has over any OOC opponent? PSU over Pitt? Mich over FL? I guess it'd be Iowa over Iowa St in OT now that the Cyclones have knocked off both OU & TCU, but they also lost to a .500 Texas team. The biggest plum(s) available by far would have been tOSU vs OU or Sparty vs ND, but they both whiffed (at home, no less). Ohio St curb-stomping Rutgers and MD might look impressive score-wise, but the entire conference is essentially wading in its own kiddie pool at this point.

Contrast w/ UGA riding the weight of their win at ND to the #1 slot thus far (and I hate the SEC and the constant polishing of Bama's knob by ESPN, but nobody has a better win yet this year). My only fear is both Bama and UGA getting in if Bama wins the SECCG, that'll be their one quality win. Otherwise, if UGA wins out, what's the best win a 1-loss Bama team would have? Auburn (who already lost to Clemson)?
Quote Reply
Re: College Playoff [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
JSA wrote:

... Ok. It appears to me, the Committee is setting up justification to keep out the B10, regardless of who wins the B10 Championship Game.

That said, the first year of the playoffs, I think OSU was #16 in the first poll and got in. Last year (or the year before), TCU was in the top 4 during the second to last ranking, won, and was left out. So, not too much to really get excited about.

FWIW - I don't think WI will win out, so my personal butt-hurt will not be a factor in the final ranking.

Here's the thing, though ~ What is the marquee win any of the B1G has over any OOC opponent? PSU over Pitt? Mich over FL? I guess it'd be Iowa over Iowa St in OT now that the Cyclones have knocked off both OU & TCU, but they also lost to a .500 Texas team. The biggest plum(s) available by far would have been tOSU vs OU or Sparty vs ND, but they both whiffed (at home, no less). Ohio St curb-stomping Rutgers and MD might look impressive score-wise, but the entire conference is essentially wading in its own kiddie pool at this point.

Contrast w/ UGA riding the weight of their win at ND to the #1 slot thus far (and I hate the SEC and the constant polishing of Bama's knob by ESPN, but nobody has a better win yet this year). My only fear is both Bama and UGA getting in if Bama wins the SECCG, that'll be their one quality win. Otherwise, if UGA wins out, what's the best win a 1-loss Bama team would have? Auburn (who already lost to Clemson)?

Yeah there is certainly a nice cluster right now. Generally agree with the OOC argument but you can't discount Ohio St's win over Penn St just because they're in-conference. Still too early anyway and several big games left. And rivalry games are always unpredictable.
Quote Reply
Re: College Playoff [Blee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blee wrote:
OneGoodLeg wrote:
JSA wrote:

Yeah there is certainly a nice cluster right now. Generally agree with the OOC argument but you can't discount Ohio St's win over Penn St just because they're in-conference. Still too early anyway and several big games left. And rivalry games are always unpredictable.

And if you are going to apply that standard to the Big 10, you have to apply it to Bama. The only big non-conference win for the SEC that I can find is GA over ND. Does that cascade to the rest of the conference so they get 2 teams in?

You can't find them because no one schedules them. Why should they? OSU played OU early, team wasn't in sync yet and lost. If they had played Chattanooga they'd be in the top 3.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: College Playoff [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obviously the Pac-12 has cannibalized itself to the point of irrelevance already, but at least USC, Furd, & Notre Dame all play each other every year, and ND also plays Sparty quite often along w/ their quasi-ACC rotation, so that gives us a few more steady data points between conferences, as well as the later in-state SEC/ACC rivalry games (FL-FSU, UGA-GT, SC-Clemson). USC also played Texas, and rarely schedules the directional schools (such as WMU this year). And this year at least Bama tried playing FSU before the Noles turned into a raging grease fire.

The problem w/ Penn St & Ohio St is they've pretty much taken turns beating mostly the same teams, and just about all of them suck. Where's the biggest skin on either wall, outside of the fact they faced each other? Pitt? Army? Michigan, I guess, although losing to tOSU again would/will take them down yet another peg. Meanwhile you have what's still one of the bigger-name programs losing at home to NIU (shades of LSU gagging vs Troy, don't think I've forgotten). It's an echo chamber of suckage, so Penn St and Ohio St beating everyone else in conference adds up to only slightly more than squat.
Quote Reply
Re: College Playoff [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
Take this from the biggest UGA anti-fan out there. My favorite team is whoever is playing UGA that week. The fans down here are annoying and incorrigible.

UGA is legit ( I feel dirty even writing that). I would take them next week, against anyone including Bama, for only the 2nd time all year in my fantasy pick-em.

The Badgers are horrible and shouldn't even be in consideration. Will they play a top 25 team this year? Top 40?

Did you go to Georgia Tech too?
Quote Reply
Re: College Playoff [LegendRider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Negative. Did not grow up or go to school down here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
Obviously the Pac-12 has cannibalized itself to the point of irrelevance already, but at least USC, Furd, & Notre Dame all play each other every year, and ND also plays Sparty quite often along w/ their quasi-ACC rotation, so that gives us a few more steady data points between conferences, as well as the later in-state SEC/ACC rivalry games (FL-FSU, UGA-GT, SC-Clemson). USC also played Texas, and rarely schedules the directional schools (such as WMU this year). And this year at least Bama tried playing FSU before the Noles turned into a raging grease fire.

The problem w/ Penn St & Ohio St is they've pretty much taken turns beating mostly the same teams, and just about all of them suck. Where's the biggest skin on either wall, outside of the fact they faced each other? Pitt? Army? Michigan, I guess, although losing to tOSU again would/will take them down yet another peg. Meanwhile you have what's still one of the bigger-name programs losing at home to NIU (shades of LSU gagging vs Troy, don't think I've forgotten). It's an echo chamber of suckage, so Penn St and Ohio St beating everyone else in conference adds up to only slightly more than squat.

There doesn't seem to be much support for your position ...

USA Today ranks the B10 as the best conference. https://www.usatoday.com/...12-pac-12/700733001/

Bleacher Report ranks the B10 as the second best conference. http://bleacherreport.com/...-football-conference

ESPN ranks the B10 as the best conference. http://www.espn.com/...s-second-half-season

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:

I'm not really defending the Big 10 as much as saying that the SEC is no different. There are no notable non-conference wins for either conference except GA/ND.

I give USC credit for playing ND, but they lost, if you want to give them credit for that then OSU gets the same credit for playing Oklahoma and losing. Topping USC's schedule this year is Western Michigan ( looking at their schedule you are fight, they don't usually schedule them, but that was kind of funny), Texas sucks, but also, if they hadn't played ND they would still be alive.

And as I said, if OSU had played Central Connecticut instead of Oklahoma, they would be top 3.

The biggest takeaway is there is no incentive to play big non-conference games when you play in a Power 5 conference. Kill 2 - 4 red shirts, win your conference, you have a good chance of making it. That is the formula we are working with right now. Schedule Bama, OSU, the Cowboys and the Patriots, win 2 out of 4, go undefeated in your conference, you are sitting home.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply

Prev Next