Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Used Tesla S85 or used Audi A6
Quote | Reply
We love our Ford Flex Ecoboost, but it is time for a slightly smaller car and I am considering a 2014/2015 Audi A6 sedan, and als a 2013/2014 Tesla S85. Possibly maybe a same year range BMW 535 Hmmmm, decisions, decisions
Quote Reply
Re: Used Tesla S85 or used Audi A6 [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We bought a very slightly used, 8k mi A6 3L prestige sport package, a few years back. Don’t get the 2L motor, lots of issues there. The BMW drove like a boat in comparison, but neither are exactly nimble.

We are very happy with it thus far. Fast, comfortable, just a nice ride
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whether the Tesla works for you depends on whether it's your only car, how often you need to do long journeys where you would need to plan recharging stops, and how many super chargers are in your area. We looked at it and as a one car family who go on a few long road trips every year decided it didn't work yet. If that's not the case I'd get one in a shot, and I know a few people who have them and are evangelical about them.

I also just sold a BMW 530, great car and I'm sure you'd be happy with either that or the Audi as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All good cars. BMW sedans are solid. I miss my 335.

I would probably do the BMW. Try for the 535 or 540 if your getting a 5 series. Try for the S6 if you do Audi.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
We love our Ford Flex Ecoboost, but it is time for a slightly smaller car and I am considering a 2014/2015 Audi A6 sedan, and als a 2013/2014 Tesla S85. Possibly maybe a same year range BMW 535 Hmmmm, decisions, decisions

I'd take the A6 for the "sports" aspect, but the BMW is cleaner ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tesla by a mile.

Once you go electric, you never go back. I drive a 2017 Focus Electric, limited to 120 miles or so, but I still would never go back to combustion.

The supercharger network is expanding rapidly. Check out the map. You can go pretty much anywhere. In reality, 99% of your charging will be at home.
Quote Reply
Re: Used Tesla S85 or used Audi A6 [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode london to Nice in June. Every single service area in france had tesla / other charging points.

Shopping centres here have them.

They are investing seriously in infrastructure
Quote Reply
Re: Used Tesla S85 or used Audi A6 [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife still has a Toyota Prius and I still have my 2005 MINI Cooper S as our backup car. I mostly drive my boys to school each day and pick them up after. So that is 25 minutes each way on the highway and our Flex is barely averaging 17 miles to the gallon. :-(

I want more space than the MINI and the Prius and with the twins no longer needing strollers and soon no more 5 point restraints car seats we can go smaller than the Flex.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMW 535 diesel. All the power/torque you want, sporty enough and rides really smooth
Quote Reply
Re: Used Tesla S85 or used Audi A6 [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Likely not will be a Diesel after all these Diesel gates. Apparently all German brands involved
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the Telsa is suprisingly big from what I have read. Looking at the map they have blanketed the states pretty good with super chargers and more to come. What you pay for electricity comes into the mix and Tesla are pricey. But if you have the money I'd do the Tesla. You could also wait for a tesla 3 which has as much cargo volume as the audi. And alot cheaper . It may be my next car after my mini van dies. I have 150,000 miles on the van and still going strong.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Last edited by: len: Oct 8, 17 4:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
None of the above? A used Tesla that's still 40-50k doesn't sound that awesome. You'll also potentially want to upgrade your garage's electric stuff if you go that route, unless you can rely on a nearby charging facility. Unsure of what Winston is like in that respect. With Audis the big maintenance worry is the timing chain and tensioners. Although you'd get a new enough one to potentially not have to worry about that for a while.

If you want something fun, affordable, and actually kinda cool... I'd go late model 335d and then take it to Everything Euro and have them go Stage 2 with it. Now that would be a fun, fast car with great fuel efficiency.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMW or a Volvo

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
Likely not will be a Diesel after all these Diesel gates. Apparently all German brands involved

as someone who had a VW TDI and was compensated very nicely, it is a gamble I would take. In fact, I nearly did get a 535d and settled instead for a 535 GT only because a bike fit in it better.

I drove the A6, MB C300, E300 & E350 and nearly everything in that class not named Tesla or Jaguar. I hated BMWs going in and loved them coming out. It's a sweet ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:

Both cars are great.
I have both family and friends driving nothing but electric cars in Norway with no problems. And we are here talking about winter driving also.
Nothing accelerate like a Tesla, it is nuts.
Quote Reply
Re: Used Tesla S85 or used Audi A6 [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We finished our geo thermal heated and cooled home a bit more than a year ago and the garage is set up for an electric car charger. We are however not in a rush but are looking hard

A 335 would be too small with not enough space behind my seat

H

jkhayc wrote:
None of the above? A used Tesla that's still 40-50k doesn't sound that awesome. You'll also potentially want to upgrade your garage's electric stuff if you go that route, unless you can rely on a nearby charging facility. Unsure of what Winston is like in that respect. With Audis the big maintenance worry is the timing chain and tensioners. Although you'd get a new enough one to potentially not have to worry about that for a while.

If you want something fun, affordable, and actually kinda cool... I'd go late model 335d and then take it to Everything Euro and have them go Stage 2 with it. Now that would be a fun, fast car with great fuel efficiency.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My dad has been an A4 guy for several years. That car is pretty small. Small enough that my family (wife and two sons) would not fit for much more than a quick drive across town. Not sure how much bigger the A6 is, but you may be losing a lot of space as compared to your Flex (which I've rented before and was quite impressed by).

I've ridden in a Tesla. A lot of space inside, plenty for 4 large guys to go to lunch, plus the frunk and trunk. It was very fast and very quite. I do not know the longer term reliability overall or the longer term performance of the fit and finish, but if I had the cash it would be in the mix.

I am hoping for an electric, mid-sized SUV with AWD and about 250 miles of range in the next 4-5 years from one (or more) companies. It would fit my needs perfectly and be a great primary car for day trips with an ICE car for longer road trips as a second.

drn92
Quote Reply
Re: Used Tesla S85 or used Audi A6 [drn92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In a newer A6 I can adjust my seat in the front as I like (I am 6’2”) and sit behind “myself” comfortably

H
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They must be much bigger than an A4. When I drive my dad's A4, no one likes to sit behind me! I go about 6'2" as well.

drn92
Quote Reply
Re: Used Tesla S85 or used Audi A6 [drn92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they have grown over the years
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'd be perfect with a BMW 5-series wagon, that are popular here in Switzerland. Pity they don't sell them in the US. A sporty performance wagon looks so much better than a SUV in my opinion.

"Your Attitude Determines Your Altitude."
Quote Reply
Re: Used Tesla S85 or used Audi A6 [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally hi-jacking the thread (sorry Herbert), but wanted to say how much I enjoyed trekking in Norway a couple of weeks ago. I ended staying at Spiterspulen and hiking Galdhøpiggen, Glittertind, and to the edge of the Svellnosbrean glacier. That was some of the most beautiful nature I've ever experienced, even though Galdhøppigen was in a cloud bank.

"Your Attitude Determines Your Altitude."
Quote Reply
Re: Used Tesla S85 or used Audi A6 [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trispoke wrote:
Herbert wrote:

as someone who had a VW TDI and was compensated very nicely, it is a gamble I would take. In fact, I nearly did get a 535d and settled instead for a 535 GT only because a bike fit in it better.

I drove the A6, MB C300, E300 & E350 and nearly everything in that class not named Tesla or Jaguar. I hated BMWs going in and loved them coming out. It's a sweet ride.

Certainly wouldn't buy another diesel in Europe, there is increasing evidence of the health impact of particles from diesels and politicians over here are responding with bans on older diesels in big cities, it's likely that diesels will be pretty much completely banned in many cities inside the next decade. I think as buyers and manufacturers adjust to what's happening the new diesel market will likely collapse in a much shorter timeframe than that. Not sure on the likelihood of something similar happening in the USA but doesn't seem worth the risk to me.
Quote Reply