Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My cool new toy for the car
Quote | Reply
Man, I am excited. I got it working in the car. Android auto on steroids. Whatever is on my phone is on the 13 inch panel. One picture is my google maps program running. The other is me watching a video of me on my bike. This has to be the coolest thing about this phone for me! As well as life360 circle with the family!! And the phone is being charged while in use. I love me new Samsung Note 8!!!!

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: My cool new toy for the car [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And of course I can watch my videos of me in the car doing my bike fit. :)

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty cool Dave !
I had the chance to use Apple Car play, or whatever they call it đŸ˜œ for the first time last week. Worked very well, and would certainly like to have it (or the Google version depending on phone) in a future car.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks fairly guaranteed to get you a "distracted driving" ticket if you ever get stopped while on the road, if not for the fact that you have to substantially look down to use it, then because it looks like an obstruction to operating the car controls.

And... other than that it's about you, why is this in the tri forum and not in the lavender room?

Less is more.
Last edited by: Big Endian: Oct 7, 17 13:39
Quote Reply
Re: My cool new toy for the car [clydecat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
clydecat wrote:
Pretty cool Dave !
I had the chance to use Apple Car play, or whatever they call it đŸ˜œ for the first time last week. Worked very well, and would certainly like to have it (or the Google version depending on phone) in a future car.

The apple car and android auto are cool, but they only allow very few apps to be used. This setup allows me to use anything on the phone, google maps, waze, etc.
Now ideally I would be a switch in such that I can hook up to the in car panel, just do not want to take the front panel apart and risk breaking something.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the very short time I had with the rental car, I noticed a few things. 1st - limited apps, ok while driving, but still would be nice to be able to expand more. 2nd - one could still be ‘distracted’ with this system same as with a phone. 3rd - cars now lock out changing navigation while driving, this would allow a passenger to unplug the phone, put in a destination, plug it back in and be in business.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
clydecat wrote:
In the very short time I had with the rental car, I noticed a few things. 1st - limited apps, ok while driving, but still would be nice to be able to expand more. 2nd - one could still be ‘distracted’ with this system same as with a phone. 3rd - cars now lock out changing navigation while driving, this would allow a passenger to unplug the phone, put in a destination, plug it back in and be in business.

Yep. I think google maps connects with android auto, but not waze as an example

And do not play with the stuff with the not running. I just killed my car battery. :(

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like the high tech mounting system.

Goes with your bike rack:

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: My cool new toy for the car [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Man, I am excited. I got it working in the car. Android auto on steroids. Whatever is on my phone is on the 13 inch panel. One picture is my google maps program running. The other is me watching a video of me on my bike. This has to be the coolest thing about this phone for me! As well as life360 circle with the family!! And the phone is being charged while in use. I love me new Samsung Note 8!!!!

So it's basically a Tesla console.

Looks like a great way to get into a collision of some sort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
clydecat wrote:

And do not play with the stuff with the not running. I just killed my car battery. :(

At a minumum, the beta version of Waze works with Android Auto, but only when connected to an Android Auto device. It doesn't work using the Phone Only version of Android Auto.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
clydecat wrote:

As someone who, as a teenager, crashed their car while rewinding a tape, I don't think this is that much more distracting. At least Android Auto will pause input if you use the touch screen for longer than a couple of seconds.

Android Auto allows you to use voice commands to change navigation, change music, etc while driving. AA works with a whole ton of audio programs, Amazon Music, Pandora, PocketCast, etc, but very little else. Even Waze still requires a AA compatible device.

The voice music controls are pretty app dependent and sometimes almost useless. If you want to play songs by Eminem, that's pretty easy to do. If you want to listen to Episode 102 of Reply All, probably not going to happen with voice only. Texting via voice is decent, although I can never get the phrasing right to start a text message, so I spend 5 minutes saying "OK Google, message Bob.... OK Google, Text Message Bob.... OK Google, Send Text..." until I finally get it right.
Quote Reply
Re: My cool new toy for the car [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bufordt wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
clydecat wrote:

Will have to see how it works.

Drove to my race this morning using google maps. Worked like a charm. Did not have to touch anything.

At a minumum, the beta version of Waze works with Android Auto, but only when connected to an Android Auto device. It doesn't work using the Phone Only version of Android Auto.

Quote Reply
Re: My cool new toy for the car [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

So it's basically a Tesla console.

Looks like a great way to get into a collision of some sort.

I would love to have a built in sized tesla like monitor in my minivan console.

I could put in an adapter box which would allow me to drive hdmi into the panel that is there, but I just like big. :)

Why do you say it is an issue for a collision? Sure a lot better than looking over at my small phone for directions.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My audio control quibbles aside, I really like Android Auto. Moved to Minneapolis in January and it would have been 100 times harder getting familiar with the area without Android Auto/Google Maps. Navigation Voice command works great. OK Google, Navigate to Pat's Tap. OK Google, Navigate to Work. OK Google, Navigate to Home.

I have a magnetic wireless charging mount and it works great, except in the summer where it would overheat if it charged too long. In the winter it's flawless.
Quote Reply
Re: My cool new toy for the car [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bufordt wrote:
My audio control quibbles aside, I really like Android Auto. Moved to Minneapolis in January and it would have been 100 times harder getting familiar with the area without Android Auto/Google Maps. Navigation Voice command works great. OK Google, Navigate to Pat's Tap. OK Google, Navigate to Work. OK Google, Navigate to Home.

I have a magnetic wireless charging mount and it works great, except in the summer where it would overheat if it charged too long. In the winter it's flawless.

Technology is so cool

Am looking forward to getting my video camera hexagon in and seeing if I can live stream my bike via my smart phone. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
bufordt wrote:

Technology is so cool

Am looking forward to getting my video camera hexagon in and seeing if I can live stream my bike via my smart phone. :)

So after bragging about my mount, I got in the car this morning and it had fallen apart. LOL

So while Technology is cool, cheap plastic parts are not. It looks fixable, just a pin that worked its way loose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

some of us ride our bikes outside on the road and would rather you not be playing with your computer screen while you drive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
And of course I can watch my videos of me in the car doing my bike fit. :)

Sir, were you texting at the time of the accident?
No officer, but I was noticing that my seat is too low.
Quote Reply
Re: My cool new toy for the car [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buzz wrote:

some of us ride our bikes outside on the road and would rather you not be playing with your computer screen while you drive.

This.

Maybe you can hold off on watching videos until you're not driving?

If you really want to use it as a map, have it mounted up much higher, basically at or below the level of the windscreen, and disable any kind of video features.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great to know you can watch videos in your car, will just put this here:

http://amp.timeinc.net/...ne-354403?source=dam
Quote Reply
Re: My cool new toy for the car [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
buzz wrote:

This.

Maybe you can hold off on watching videos until you're not driving?

If you really want to use it as a map, have it mounted up much higher, basically at or below the level of the windscreen, and disable any kind of video features.

Watching a video in the car while it is moving? You would have to be nuts!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That mount makes me cry a little inside. It’s like if Chip Foose had a polar opposite twin that would be what they’d build.
Quote Reply
Re: My cool new toy for the car [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
That mount makes me cry a little inside. It’s like if Chip Foose had a polar opposite twin that would be what they’d build.

It works, was very cheap, removable easily, etc. What more could one want.

Quote Reply