Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lap swim near PSU
Quote | Reply
I'm staying in state college for the weekend and looking for some lap swim locations. Any recommendations?
Quote Reply
Re: Lap swim near PSU [nittiaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might want to be more specific. It's like someone saying "do you live in the tri-counties/tri-state" neglecting the fact that there must be 1000 regions that refer to themselves as such.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Lap swim near PSU [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoops. Sorry. Main campus location.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On campus there's:
McCoy Natatorium: Big beautiful clean pool; great hours; between $6 & $10 for the day. Can be crowded. Teams practice there.
White Building: Pretty much the same but you've got a lot of students there.
Both facilities are well maintained. You'll find a lane it just depends on how much you want to deal with - pools are weird :-)

Parking for both can be hard to find and expensive.

Your easiest in-and-out swim workout...
State College YMCA: Not sure of the price for the day but between 10am and 1pm (this time of year) you'll have the pool to yourself and parking is free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nittiaj wrote:
Whoops. Sorry. Main campus location.
That's not what I meant. How many PSU's do you figure there are.
Penn State
Portland State
Plymouth State

2 of those were off the top of my head. 60secs on Google would probably provide a half dozen more.

Heck, the "U" could mean anything. Doesn't have to be University.

I'm not bitching, mind you, I'm trying to be helpful. When you assume the outside world will understand references unique to your region, it's like carrying a sign that says "I rarely leave my county".

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's only one PSU. And it ain't ever referred to as "the U".

WE ARE!.....
Quote Reply
Re: Lap swim near PSU [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
There's only one PSU. And it ain't ever referred to as "the U".

WE ARE!.....
I can't tell if you're kidding or if you're mocking PSU's English Dept.

The phrase:
the "U"
is not the same as the phrase:
"the U".

One is a reference to a single letter, the other likely a reference to a place called "the U".

We should give up on this. It's not worth the energy.

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're right, we should give up...

State College is the name of a town.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm not bitching, mind you, I'm trying to be helpful. When you assume the outside world will understand references unique to your region, it's like carrying a sign that says "I rarely leave my county".

However if you do not know what PSU is then chances are you cannot be helpful. So in this case I would say using PSU is fine.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll want to consider the State College YMCA in order to swim. The university has instituted new rules for community members using university facilities this year so campus options are quite possibly not going to work.

With that said, the masters group will be practicing Sunday morning at 10am in McCoy Natatorium. I'll see if you would be able to get in to swim with them if you'd want.
Quote Reply
Re: Lap swim near PSU [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Quote:

However if you do not know what PSU is then chances are you cannot be helpful. So in this case I would say using PSU is fine.
Being from the Portland OR area, I'll be sure to tell that to my friends that went to Portland State University.

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Googling "state college" -- even using lower case, yields only 1 result.

Give it up already.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
Leddy wrote:
Quote:

Being from the Portland OR area, I'll be sure to tell that to my friends that went to Portland State University.

Does Portland State university alum refer to their school as PSU ? Is the campus located in a town called State college ?

Everyone I know who went to Penn State will for example most likely open a thread on here titled PSU to see what it is about. Since the campus is in bumble fuck no where they are the ones the OP will be looking for help from.

I get what your premise is but again in this case I believe the OP was fine with the way he titled the thread.

I'm not bitching, mind you, I'm trying to be helpful

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to have some fun with your friends from Portland State U

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=PSU

ETA - I'm curious what the search would show when you do it if you are still on the west coast ?

Last edited by: Leddy: Oct 9, 17 8:18
Quote Reply
Re: Lap swim near PSU [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Does Portland State university alum refer to their school as PSU ?

Yes. I lived in Portland for a while and 95+% of the time people would refer to it as PSU rather than Portland State. When I saw this title I thought "hey, I can help!" Only to open it up see state college and realize "oh, THAT PSU."

Same type of thing happens here in northern Idaho when we talk about UM. It's always in reference to University of Montana since its close by and a lot of alum live here. We hired a guy from Michigan last year and whenever we'd say UM, such as in reference to a football game, he would assume we were talking about Michigan and confusion would then ensue.

Long story short, using only letters can cause confusion based on where someone is geographically located

Matt
Quote Reply