Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best places to live in SF Bay Area [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You reason like a 3rd grader. I bet you race on a TitanFlex and do all your swimming while wearing Xterra Lava pants.

You left this out:
Ashland, OR: avg temps in January 39 degrees
San Jose, CA: avg temps in January 51 degrees

Feel free to keep cherry picking your points to buttress your case. It still doesn't change the fact that your original post was irrational and full of assumptions. If you like Ashland better, then, great. I'm sure it's nice. But don't act like you need to make a million a year to survive in the bay.

Thanks for playing beeyatch :)
Last edited by: p3: Oct 9, 17 13:44
Quote Reply
Re: Best places to live in SF Bay Area [BrickMick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrickMick wrote:
Having a job offer in San Jose (close to SJC airport).

Wondering where you folks say is a good place to live.
I would suggest living somewhere west of SJC but close enough to bike commute. The weather here is great 9 months of the year and quality of life as a bike commuter can't be beat. Cupertino has great schools and is close enough to bike commute to the airport (probably <30 mins going slow enough to not get sweaty). It's also a great jumping off point for running/cycling. The Santa Clara International swim center is world class and would be basically on your commute. Another option is Mountain View. Sunnyvale and Santa Clara are less expensive and have not quite as good schools, but would be closer to work.

As others have said, housing is expensive here, but if you can swing it it's worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: Best places to live in SF Bay Area [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
themuse1 wrote:
Hi, I'm wondering if any of the locals have any love for Santa Clara?

I know it's not the best cycling area, but it does have the world class Santa Clara International Swim Center, home of several Olympic Gold Medalists and the finest swim facility I've ever been to.

http://santaclaraca.gov/...national-swim-center

I swim there 3-4 times a week when I was working near there.

Hadn't seen Santa Clara mentioned as being one of the best spots to train in so maybe a local could update the original poster.

There's an active tri club in the area that may provide good info to him as well: http://www.svtriclub.org/

Thanks!

Mark

Living near that pool would be a dream. Between access to the pool and the likes of NVidia being a 6 minute drive or similar ride away it would be awesome. Just ride over Montague on the other side of 101 and you have a choice of many great companies to work at.

You know the funny thing - I've swam in that Santa Clara Int'l Swim Center pool - and it ain't all that! It's a bit run-down, actually!

They do, however have top-level coaching and masters there - for sure if I lived close enough and had the time to regularly attend, I'd be a far better swimmer than I am now!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Bay Area haters crack me up. I've never understood people that have to shit all over other people's choices to make themselves feel better. If you don't like the Bay Area, you know where the door is. I love it here.
Quote Reply
Re: Best places to live in SF Bay Area [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkatsoudas wrote:
The Bay Area haters crack me up. I've never understood people that have to shit all over other people's choices to make themselves feel better. If you don't like the Bay Area, you know where the door is. I love it here.

Hey, it's obviously great for (presumably most of) the 7-8 million who live there (or is it 9M yet? LOL). The flip side of the Haters is the frothing defensiveness of the Zealots whenever someone suggests that it's not the utopia it's made out to be.

I personally won't shit on anyone's choice to live there. Hey, if it works for you, that's all good. But when somebody pipes up to say they think it's the Nexus of All That's Evil in this World (tm), that's gotta be all good too :)

OP, based on your replies, I think you know what you're getting yourself into, and I think you're taking the right approach to find something that works for you. Enjoy the good aspects and do what you can to cope with or avoid the bad. Onwards!

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Best places to live in SF Bay Area [p3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
p3 wrote:
You reason like a 3rd grader. I bet you race on a TitanFlex and do all your swimming while wearing Xterra Lava pants.

If I lack reason, I attribute it to the shock from the image of you wearing a speedo in 50 degree temperatures. Here's the view in San Jose.

here's our view:

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Last edited by: jens: Oct 9, 17 14:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:
p3 wrote:

It's expensive because it's amazing to live here.

That's what people there tell themselves. The reality is that it's expensive because so many people think they have to be there to make huge salaries for......$80,000 Teslas, $3 million houses, nannies, gardeners, and housekeepers.

I live in Southern Oregon where a bunch of people figured out that they don't need to be on that treadmill. They sold their Bay Area houses, bought something up here for 1/4 of the price and now lead very comfortable lives off the proceeds -- with some of best cycling around and no traffic.

The added bonus is that our kids up here go to school with normal people of diverse economic and ethnic backgrounds. Their friends are Latino, African American, Asian, and European; their parents are doctors, plumbers, and gardeners. By contrast, if you live on the Peninsula, there's a nasty divide: wealthy white and Asian Facebook & Google employees and then the Latinos who flood into Menlo Park and PA every day to mow their lawns, clean their houses and change their babies' diapers. The latter group often lives in desperately crowded conditions in East PA or RC to make ends meet.

It's funny that most of these Peninsula folks consider themselves "progressives," but the life they lead has shades of "The Help." The irony is that a few of our most progressive friends treated their "help" the most horribly.....

We're so happy to have moved away. Reno has it right.

Hey, it is looking like you are taking a beating on this thread, but 8 years ago when my company first asked me to move I actually resisted because of the kind of 2 tier strata in Bay area society which you pointed out that i found quite a bit different than elsewhere (especially in my Canadian communist world LOL...here we just have two tiers of frozen misery....cold and colder). I do really enjoy the area for training, and I really love the buzz of the tech industry there. But you can have a lot of that elsewhere.

To Lightheir, I love the Santa Clara International Swim center pool. Sure there are better 50m pools, all over the world (the 50m pool that I train at here at home is nicer, but it's indoors), but you can't beat training in the same lane that Mark Spitz did!

Personally when my son was in high school, I ruled out going there, but now that all is done, I guess I would not totally rule it out, but I don't need a big fancy house. Just rent a small condo for the time there.
Quote Reply
Re: Best places to live in SF Bay Area [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:
I personally won't shit on anyone's choice to live there.

Funny... that's pretty much all you've been doing in this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Best places to live in SF Bay Area [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkatsoudas wrote:
renorider wrote:

I personally won't shit on anyone's choice to live there.

Funny... that's pretty much all you've been doing in this thread.

Big difference between "I think it's a festering pit," and "you're a fucking idiot for living there, jkatsoudas." One of those I feel totally justified presenting as an opinion, and the other is unfair and unwarranted. Enjoy your evening.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:

Big difference between "I think it's a festering pit," and "you're a fucking idiot for living there, jkatsoudas." One of those I feel totally justified presenting as an opinion, and the other is unfair and unwarranted. Enjoy your evening.

...and neither of those is relevant to the question the OP asked, but if folks who don't even live in the Bay Area somehow feel better about themselves by turning a request for input from locals into a shit show, knock yourself out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:
There are none.

It's a fucking pit of crushing overpopulation, blindly living life in the fast lane, soul-swallowing traffic, and astronomical living costs. Any enclaves you find that are improvements on one or more of those metrics have significant compromises on the others.

Get a couple drinks into me and I'll tell you what I really think.

Admittedly, I thought this was hilarious when I read it. I really have no dog in this fight and personally hate densely populated areas, but, coincidentally, came across this Forbes article after reading this thread. According to Forbes, people that work in SF and SJ are happiest:

https://www.forbes.com/...ppiest/#107faa317492
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Yobroski [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Yobroski: Oct 10, 17 17:15
Re: Best places to live in SF Bay Area [Yobroski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, I think the single biggest determining factor in where you live in Silicon Valley is how much money you make. All the places with nice commutes and proximity to great outdoor riding/etc cost millions.

If you've got millions - it's a great place! If you don't have millions, make sure you know what you'll be settling for before you pull the trigger. It's a very different lifestyle if you can't afford what everyone is talking about.
Quote Reply

Prev Next