Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How would this affect resale value of a bike?
Quote | Reply
So I'm going to be buying a speed concept through the project one thing, where it's all custom. And I can get my name (or whatever I want) painted on the top tube by the seat post. I'm guessing I'll be selling the bike at some point, weather it's 2 years or 10 years from now. How would having someone else's name on the top tube affect the resale value? Would it be significant or minor or not at all?
Quote Reply
Re: How would this affect resale value of a bike? [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on the buyer and the price you plan to sell it at. I wouldn't want a bike with someone else name. Why not just get it done without the name and then put on a sticker with your name that is easily removable later? Like one from Velloink.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Last edited by: mknight84: Oct 6, 17 8:09
Quote Reply
Re: How would this affect resale value of a bike? [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's actually a great idea. But if a lot of people would say they'd have no problem buying a used bike with someone else's name on it(that they could cover with their own name sticker) then I'd want my name in the paint
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
friesen wrote:
So I'm going to be buying a speed concept through the project one thing, where it's all custom. And I can get my name (or whatever I want) painted on the top tube by the seat post. I'm guessing I'll be selling the bike at some point, weather it's 2 years or 10 years from now. How would having someone else's name on the top tube affect the resale value? Would it be significant or minor or not at all?

I sliced off my front derailleur tab, I wonder how much that will affect things too.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just went through the same dilemma with a project one Madone 9, and ultimately chose not to get my name on it. I personally wouldn't want to buy a used bike with someone else's name on it. That being said, you can also put a saying or phrase in there, and I wouldn't be as concerned about that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are very few names I would accept being written on the top tube of a used bike I'm buying. In fact its probably only a friend who cutting me a smoking deal, otherwise "no thanks".

So I'd plan on keeping the bike if I were you and doing that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
friesen wrote:
How would having someone else's name on the top tube affect the resale value?

If it was my name, the value would increase for sure. So put my name on it.

-- Jens

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Last edited by: jens: Oct 6, 17 9:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see the reasoning for putting your name on the bike if you already think you will sell it at some point. Why alienate potential buyers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

You could sell it to someone with the same name.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: How would this affect resale value of a bike? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol. Touché.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Put your name in cursive on it. Then you could tell people the bike is signed and it's a one of a kind. Just like when we were kids and all the baseball gloves have a baseball player's signature on it. I would sit out in right field (that's where the put the fat kid at in T-ball) and wonder.....who the hell is Boog Powell and what a weird name.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
friesen wrote:

Judging by the responses here, I hope you're getting that it's not a good idea.....unless you are willing to sell the bike at a substantial discount.....or unless you become a really famous person by the time you plan to sell. So you need to decide what's more important. I'd go with one of the above suggestions and get a removal vinyl sticker.
Quote Reply
Re: How would this affect resale value of a bike? [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking I'll try and become a world champion. Then it'll be easier to sell my bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your name is Lance, probably not a problem. Who wouldn't want a custom Trek with that name on it??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you 100% know you will sell it at some point don't get name on it.

Just get some vinyl decal made. It'll look just like it's painted on (assuming same color).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can see leaving transition with one name on my bib and another on my bike. That would be a fun conversation.
Quote Reply
Re: How would this affect resale value of a bike? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
friesen wrote:

I sliced off my front derailleur tab, I wonder how much that will affect things too.

I literally just spit out my coffee laughing so hard. Thanks for the afternoon entertainment.

I've seen you post about this before, but people have this unrealistic expectation of what their equipment is worth after buying it brand new. You are lucky to get 60% of MSRP after 2-3 years of use (even if it's minimal use). The resell market really sucks.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: How would this affect resale value of a bike? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
friesen wrote:

I literally just spit out my coffee laughing so hard. Thanks for the afternoon entertainment.

I've seen you post about this before, but people have this unrealistic expectation of what their equipment is worth after buying it brand new. You are lucky to get 60% of MSRP after 2-3 years of use (even if it's minimal use). The resell market really sucks.

Yep I get that. In my case, what really is affected is that it is going to kill the liquidity as not as many buyers will be interested but someone would still buy it. I sold my Gen 1 SC last year it. It was in really tough shape and the buyer knew that having been used for six years. He did an awesome job of refurbishing it, but a $6,000+ bike was sold for roughly $600. I still cringe though because people come along and way over pay for used goods all the time.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: How would this affect resale value of a bike? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
I can see leaving transition with one name on my bib and another on my bike. That would be a fun conversation.

Good point, especially if the original owner turns up and claims it.

I sometimes see D locks on sale in cycling forums with a key or two 'missing'. Call me a cynic but no thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I buy most of my equipment used, and having another persons name on the bike wouldn't stop me from buying it were it what I was looking for in every other regard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a bike repainted once and the guy offered to put my name on. I said sure. I sold it a few years later and based on eBay value I think I got a fair price for it.
Quote Reply
Re: How would this affect resale value of a bike? [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've just order my dream bike which is titanium frame and had some custom graphic etched on it, totally custom, but then again this is a frame for life (until n+1 anyway).

So no I won't buy frame with someone else name on it unless it was a top expros bike and a steal.
Quote Reply
Re: How would this affect resale value of a bike? [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathlonJoe wrote:
Put your name in cursive on it. Then you could tell people the bike is signed and it's a one of a kind. Just like when we were kids and all the baseball gloves have a baseball player's signature on it. I would sit out in right field (that's where the put the fat kid at in T-ball) and wonder.....who the hell is Boog Powell and what a weird name.

He was on of the famous Alous - Matty, Moises, Felipe and Boog. he changed his name because he did not want to be known as Boog Alou.
Quote Reply
Re: How would this affect resale value of a bike? [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm stay ordinary or become famous. Tough choice!

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply