Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Super League Triathlon coming to Penticton
Quote | Reply
Age group races followed by the pro races over three days.

Press release below:

MB Events and Super League Triathlon are excited to announce the inaugural Super League Canada - Penticton.

Super League Triathlon is coming to Penticton August 17-19th, 2018. This three-day triathlon festival will be the first North American stop in the popular new series.

Penticton, B.C., October 6, 2017 – MB Events and Super League Triathlon are excited to announce Super League Canada - Penticton, coming August 17-19th, 2018.

MB Events will host the only official “Golden Qualifier” Super League Triathlon race in the Americas next year in a three-day format featuring both Age Group and Pro athlete racing. Pro athletes from all disciplines will have the opportunity to earn direct qualification into the Super League Triathlon Championship series. The top four (4) pro male and pro female finishers will earn their golden ticket and immediate qualification for the Championship Series including all the perks that come with Super League Triathlon status.

Friday and Saturday mass participation age group racing will feature triathlon Equalizer events and Sunday will feature an Enduro event. The pro race will be similar to the age group race and finalized in the coming months.

“We’re extremely excited to continue the amazing triathlon history in Penticton by bringing this event to BC next summer,” said Michael Brown, Executive Director of MB Events, the Sport Management company delivering Super League Penticton. “The premier brand Super League, and its exciting new triathlon format, will bring a fresh perspective for athletes and spectators alike. It’s incredibly special that Age Group athletes will be able to race the same race course as Pro Athletes on the same day.”

Brown notes that Age Group athletes will compete in the morning and have a chance to spectate Pro Athletes competing on the same course in the afternoon. Age Group registration will open November 1st 2018 and all information can be found on the event website starting on October 24, 2018.

What is Super League Triathlon? Learn more about this exciting take on triathlon:

Michael D’Hulst, co-founder of Super League Triathlon says, “I’m excited to see our vision come to life and this wouldn’t have been possible without the support of a very passionate and committed team and partners. Super League Triathlon put us on the endurance sport map in 2017 and we look forward to building on our successes for 2018.”

Chris McCormack, two-time Ironman World Champion and ITU World Champion, and co-founder of Super League added, “I had the opportunity to race in Penticton in 2012 and Penticton provided everything I had always heard of, the passion of the community and volunteers is what makes Penticton one of triathlon’s greatest venues. We are excited about the opportunity to bring Super League triathlon to Canada and we can’t think of a location more deserving than Penticton B.C.”

About MB Events

MB Events is a Sport Management company that specializes in the planning and execution of international caliber large scale sporting events. MB Events prides itself on bringing fresh creative vision and experience to their events spanning endurance athletics to world rugby matches. MB Events puts the focus on the athletes first and strives to deliver events beyond expectation outside of the status quo. The 2017 ITU Multisport World Championships highlighted to the world what the team at MB Events can produce to a world audience.

About Super League Triathlon

Pitting the world’s best triathletes across unique short course formats for big prize money in a closed league series, Super League Triathlon provides pulse-pounding action, superstars to root for, and a spectator experience without parallel. Super League Triathlon catapults triathlon into the hearts, minds, and living rooms of triathlon and sports fans worldwide. By offering incredible TV and digital content output with live race day television broadcasts, live race day digital streaming and Video on Demand content, we’ll be showcasing our Championship athletes and the sport of triathlon like never before. Super League Triathlon features action-packed racing formats in dramatic locations and fan-friendly courses across Asia- Pacific and the Gulf. We’re committed to setting the gold standard experience for age groupers, male and female professional athletes, and fans alike. Super League Triathlon was co-founded by two-time Ironman and two-time ITU World Champion Chris McCormack, and Michael D’Hulst and Leonid Boguslavsky, three successful businessmen and passionate triathletes brought together by a common desire to break new ground in the sport of triathlon.

For more information on Super League Triathlon, head to https://superleaguetriathlon.com

Media contact:
Michael Brown, Executive Director, MB Events mb@mbevents.ca 780-993-0003
Trent Taylor, Chief Marketing Officer, Super League Triathlon trent@superleaguetriathlon.com.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Last edited by: JayPeeWhy: Oct 6, 17 7:26
Quote Reply
Re: Super League Triathlon coming to Penticton [JayPeeWhy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great news for Penticton. Traditional August Weekend slot moves up a week so pros can travel to WTS Montreal following weekend.

AG racing Saturday and Sunday. Race, hit beer garden, watch worlds best race. Pretty stoked.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking forward to more details on the AG racing

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike/run loops up and down vancouver ave hill... let the carnage ensue... (not sure if that's their course, but it should be) beautiful venue for Super League. Fitting place for the first north american event on their calendar, given Penticton's place in the history of the sport...

I'd love to race in the format, but I don't think a return to Penticton is in the cards this year if I race the multisport festival in Denmark... Did do a mixed super sprint, sprint race on 10ish min rest this year, so much fun, but bloody hard (especially that there were some racers who only did the sprint race, so were putting the hammer to those of us with tired legs from the super sprint before...).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
got my email as well... more hotel nights will sell with the festival format. I like the idea. Not sure if we will go for year 1 though.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always curious how it stacks up with ITU WTS schedule:

This will be week before Montreal WTS, so the athletes will already be in that part of world so that won't disrupt things much.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder how this will affect the Kelowna Apple, or if people will choose the Apple over this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Chris McCormack, two-time Ironman World Champion and ITU World Champion, and co-founder of Super League added, “I had the opportunity to race in Penticton in 2012 and Penticton provided everything I had always heard of, the passion of the community and volunteers is what makes Penticton one of triathlon’s greatest venues.

What race did Macca do in Epenticton in 2012? I don't recall him racing IM Canada that year
Quote Reply
Re: Super League Triathlon coming to Penticton [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Quote:
Chris McCormack, two-time Ironman World Champion and ITU World Champion, and co-founder of Super League added, “I had the opportunity to race in Penticton in 2012 and Penticton provided everything I had always heard of, the passion of the community and volunteers is what makes Penticton one of triathlon’s greatest venues.

What race did Macca do in Epenticton in 2012? I don't recall him racing IM Canada that year

It was Challenge Penticton 2013 I think.

Quote Reply
Re: Super League Triathlon coming to Penticton [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I did the Apple a few years ago. I saw 2 local people there from Penticton. It's a different draw. There was no Apple last year. I thought it died off. I guess 2018 there is a race. While timing unfortunate Superleague is the worlds best. And they either book this weekend before Montreal WTS or mid July before Edmonton WTS with the latter then landing on the Peach Classic race in Penticton. So obviously tying it to Montreal better for host community while still keeping the August tradition.

Superleague vs Apple is kinda like a beer league v NHL though. If I were Apple I would move that date back a week and try to draw some AG athletes that may come from outside BC to stay on and race their race.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it was Challenge. As soon as he heard that Symonds crashed on the bike, but was running UGLY-FAST, he pulled out. DNF.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Super League Triathlon coming to Penticton [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
Superleague vs Apple is kinda like a beer league v NHL though. If I were Apple I would move that date back a week and try to draw some AG athletes that may come from outside BC to stay on and race their race.

If I were to ask 10 random local triathletes about Superleague, 9/10 would say "huh? What's that?"

I've heard of it, I understand the concept, but the average triathlete doesn't look much farther than the race schedule on the Ironman site.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In fairness there have only been two events so far :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow I thought next year would be a huge let down after the ITU Multisport worlds this year. Guess I was wrong.

I assumed like many that next year would be Rev 3 Penticton, but this is much more interesting
Quote Reply
Re: Super League Triathlon coming to Penticton [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:
In fairness there have only been two events so far :)

I hear it's pretty cool. Hopefully it catches on with the age group masses.
I'm a bit jaded about fickle triathletes though...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Apple was a big draw for a few years when it was the national championships and they had the Continental Cup/Junior Elite races.
I'd love to be able to do both as I haven't been able to do it in a few years now, but I know I'll be opting for the superleagues race. I enjoy fast, short racing and it's always a treat to get to watch the ITU pros race. Should be fun

Team Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember seeing something about the apple tri taking 2017 off since the ITU multisport festival was draining volunteer resources and stuff. I'm excited about super league coming and I might make the trip up from Vancouver but I also hope the apple comes back because the number of triathlons in the area are not great right now!
Quote Reply
Re: Super League Triathlon coming to Penticton [Frenchietries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frenchietries wrote:
I remember seeing something about the apple tri taking 2017 off since the ITU multisport festival was draining volunteer resources and stuff. I'm excited about super league coming and I might make the trip up from Vancouver but I also hope the apple comes back because the number of triathlons in the area are not great right now!

The Apple is back on for 2018. I spoke to Susie at M1 Event Management yesterday, they are managing the race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cool looks like a good event!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
schedule conflicts sucks but what can one do? MBEvents has to accommodate the Brownlee's, Gomez, Stimpson, True's of the sport.

If you could tell Suzie if Apple was the following weekend I would race that as well.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This would be awesome racing and spectating. That travel is not in the cards, but hopefully they keep these races going.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Super League Triathlon coming to Penticton [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not happy I've got to wait almost a year till the next Superleague!
Quote Reply
Re: Super League Triathlon coming to Penticton [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Not happy I've got to wait almost a year till the next Superleague!

You won't have to. Penticton will be a qualifier for 2018/19 season. I suspect there will be more races this coming winter (Australian summer) 2017/18 in the meantime.

Info about Penticton being a qualifier here below:

Super League Triathlon today announced the roll-out of its Qualifier Series with the introduction of Super League Penticton in Canada on August 17-19, 2018. The second tier to the Championship Series, the Qualifier Series allows every professional athlete worldwide a path to entry to the Super League Championship Series.

"Our Championship Series has 25 of the best men and 25 of the best women racing in events around the world for large prize money and series money," says Super League Triathlon chairman Chris McCormack. "We wanted to create a system to guarantee an influx of new talent through relegation and promotion into the series in a true league structure, and ensure we have the best athletes racing the Championship Series."
At the end of each season of the Championship Series, the top ten male and female athletes will receive a contract for the following year with all expenses paid to compete in Championship Series events. The remaining 15 athletes will be relegated to the Qualifier Series if they wish to earn a contract for the following year.

The Super League Qualifier Series offers a total of ten (10) contracts and five (5) wildcard spots to compete in the Super League Championship Series for the following year.

"Super League Penticton will be one of those qualifying events that will allow these athletes and other professionals the straight-line, non-federation selected qualifying process into the following year's Championship series," reveals McCormack.

The Super League Penticton Qualifier will offer a small prize purse set around the same payout structure as the Championship Series, such as incentives for stage wins and primes. Additionally, the top four male and female athletes in Penticton will earn their golden ticket into next year's Championship Series. The contract gives them the ability to pick their racing number, a full media training and visual content piece set around them, an attractive and transparent series contract fee, and all expenses paid to race the Championship Series among the best athletes in the world.

"The qualification process will involve multiple days of racing in the same formats as our Championship Series, on tight circuits with draft-legal racing," McCormack adds. Depending on the professional start field size and given the tight and technical courses, athletes will be eliminated on a day-by-day basis.

Only professional or elite athletes with racing licenses from their national federation are eligible for entry into the Qualifier Series. If there is no federation-led licensing program in their nation they must contact Super League Triathlon directly for assessment of eligibility.

Age-group athletes will also have opportunity to race the same distances over race weekend in a separate category. More details about age-group racing will be revealed over the next few weeks.

Promotion and relegation between the Championship Series and the Qualifier Series will ensure an ever-changing roster of Championship Series athletes, fostering a consistently high level of competitiveness. McCormack relishes the thought of seeing a new generation of athletes emerge to challenge the current superstars.

"We're looking forward to announcing more venues in the near future and continue to build out our vision," concludes McCormack. "I personally can't wait to see who surfaces on top at Penticton to join our Championship Series."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
rhys wrote:

If I were to ask 10 random local triathletes about Superleague, 9/10 would say "huh? What's that?"

I've heard of it, I understand the concept, but the average triathlete doesn't look much farther than the race schedule on the Ironman site.
I ran across one of the famous 70+ year old 20+ time Kona finishers. Not saying which one. And they never heard of Rev 3. I had to explain what it was.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm tempted! I will probably wait to see what the course maps look like before signing up though.
Quote Reply