Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Elastomer for xterra
Quote | Reply
Hi, I'm looking to get into mountain biking and xterra. I have an option that just came my way to get a mountain bike with an elastomer (10mm). I was mainly thinking about full suspension and really have no knowledge about elastomers vs. FS. Would an elastomer be adequate for for xterra? The terrain in my area is mainly rocky. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Elastomer for xterra [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm no expert by any means but if I bought an XC bike again I'd go for full suspension. When I demoed XC bikes a while back I would always do a brick. The single track I rode on was root infested and I my legs were noticeably fresher after riding on a full suspension bike. I ended up buying an F-Si (hardtail) only because I got a smoking deal on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'm not hip with new terms but...what is an Elastomer bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Elastomer for xterra [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Maybe I'm not hip with new terms but...what is an Elastomer bike?

I *think* he's talking about something like the Trek IsoSpeed decouplers used in the Domane (among others). I have no idea what MTB might use an elastomer, though.?.

For my local trails, no way would 30mm be sufficient (for me). Hell, I want to move to 120mm from my 100mm FS for XC.

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: Elastomer for xterra [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would guess OP is referring to a Moots Ybb of some sort. Usually the bike has a normal suspension fork but then a 10ish mm elastomer that ''connects'' the seat stays to the seat tube and acts as a mild form of suspension. Used to be called a "soft tail" I think.

OP - in my opinion, that's a fine enough choice. But I'd rather have a hard tail or a full suspension. Not a compromise. If this is the bike you are referencing anyway.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Oct 6, 17 7:04
Quote Reply
Re: Elastomer for xterra [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a hardtail because I wasn't sure (still not sure) how much mountain biking I planned to do and didn't want to spend a ton. So I got a good deal on a entry level mountain bike. But same as you, I have a trail that is really all roots and I just take a beating on that trail with a hardtail bike. I feel like those roots are going to rattle my bike and myself apart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, that would be fine. One of my friends is a professional category xc mountain biker and that's what he rides (BMC teamelite 01). With that and a dropper post he also crushes technical downhill that most people are riding FS bikes for. He used to ride a Giant Anthem and was unsure about going to the softtail but loves it now.
Quote Reply
Re: Elastomer for xterra [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's actually the bike I was offered. I am certainly not a pro mountain bike, or even a mountain biker at this point. Do you think having a higher level of expertise would make a bike like that more reasonable vs. FS?
Quote Reply
Re: Elastomer for xterra [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm getting a hell of a deal on it and I figure since I've never even been on a FS or that much time on a hardtail, I really won't know the difference? Ignorance is bliss, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Starting on a hardtail will make you a better mountain biker in the long run. You get a more instant feedback to incorrect line choices. Having less experience makes a hardtail a better choice for learning on. It's an amazing bike. You'll have fun on it. Also it's certainly a better choice for racing than most hardtail. An equivalent full suspension bike will be much more expensive as well.

I'd definitely say go for it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could go full rigid like this clown...sheesh!
http://www.xterraplanet.com/...al-champ-hans-ryham/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That BMC is an awesome bike. I vote yes. The Moots I would say no to.
Quote Reply