Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

California now a "sanctuary" state
Quote | Reply
Wow. Does this "law" have even the slightest chance of not being blocked by the federal courts. I think not, but I suppose anything is possible.

http://abc7.com/politics/california-gov-brown-signs-sanctuary-state-bill/2494219/

Quote Reply
Re: California now a "sanctuary" state [jw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would the courts block it? Haven't they allowed sanctuary cities? What's the difference?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: California now a "sanctuary" state [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Why would the courts block it? Haven't they allowed sanctuary cities? What's the difference?

California only cares about 4 things:

Illegal aliens
homeless people
transgender rights
Pick your own 4th one.

Law-abiding citizens are an afterthought.
Quote Reply
Re: California now a "sanctuary" state [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 4th is outrageous gas taxes...er, I mean Global Warming. Oh, and criminals getting early release, crime increases be damned!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Difference, I think, is California has passed a law (a legislative act), whereas the Cities have simply announced an informal policy.

It's easier to challenge something on the books, as opposed to a particular act or omission that arguably reflects implementation of the unwritten, informal policy.

Immigration is preempted by federal law. That's why and how this law should be blocked.

I read something in one of the articles about the state possibly asserting the 10th amendment in avoid preemption. To me, that's laughable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eric Holder has been engaged by the state to navigate the legals ins/outs of this and other initiatives being worked by the legislature. Will be interesting if he will personally make the arguments in court.
Quote Reply
Re: California now a "sanctuary" state [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was an article in the LA Times the other day about California including a line item in its budget dedicated to hiring outside counsel to pursue the "state's" political agenda against the Trump administration and its policies. Good use of tax dollars. Seems there will be plenty of options in terms of counsel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you insinuating that the transgender and the homeless populations aren't law abiding?

Uncle Arqyle wrote:
vitus979 wrote:

Illegal aliens
homeless people
transgender rights
Pick your own 4th one.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's whack. (Yes, I'll fully acknowledge the dating of myself to the '90s with that phrasing...) How the taxpayers of a state can justify that kind of grandstanding by their supposed leadership is beyond me. Look, I cannot stand Donald Trump. He's an abomination and a joke as far as I'm concerned. Without the trust fund that got him started, the guy would be all kinds of failure. He's lived his life in a vacuum surrounded by yes men, hired to go along with what he wants because he has money, but his money hasn't bought him talent, just the balls and ability to avoid consequences that it takes to be a bull. And here we are. But he was fairly elected, as much as that sucks, and that's how our little democratic republic works. Grandstanding, blowing figurative megaphones, and being obstructionist for the sake of obstructionism isn't going to win any favors with the disenchanted and disgruntled folks who elected the guy. Taking constructive policy measures will. But who would expect that to happen in Cali? So here we also are. Many loons actually doing nothing but thinking they're standing up to a mega loon. Maybe NK should perfect that nuke.

jw13 wrote:
There was an article in the LA Times the other day about California including a line item in its budget dedicated to hiring outside counsel to pursue the "state's" political agenda against the Trump administration and its policies. Good use of tax dollars. Seems there will be plenty of options in terms of counsel.
Quote Reply
Re: California now a "sanctuary" state [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
Are you insinuating that the transgender and the homeless populations aren't law abiding?

Uncle Arqyle wrote:
vitus979 wrote:

Illegal aliens
homeless people
transgender rights
Pick your own 4th one.

You haven't been to san francisco?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't assume this is supported by the taxpayers in California - it's not on a ballot it was decided by the legislature and signed by the governor. In my opinion, it wouldn't pass as a ballot measure. The legislature are owned by two major unions and don't give two shits about the taxpaying residents but get reelected because of their handlers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess when I say "the taxpayers" I'm speaking from the theoretical position, or the intended position, that legislators are supposed to represent what's actually in the best interests of their constituency. But your point and the reality of purchased politics is more accurate to present day practices.

JD21 wrote:
I wouldn't assume this is supported by the taxpayers in California - it's not on a ballot it was decided by the legislature and signed by the governor. In my opinion, it wouldn't pass as a ballot measure. The legislature are owned by two major unions and don't give two shits about the taxpaying residents but get reelected because of their handlers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had you started your first sentence with, "except in California..." it would've been fine. Unfortunately, here in CA, it's more like the Cali cartel than a state in the union...I mean in the Federal Republic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An October 2014 report from ICE that was made public in 2015 detailed 276 sanctuary cities that released 8,145 illegal migrants of whom 1,867 were later arrested
4,298 times with multiple violations amounting to 7,491 charges.

Illegal migrants are 3.5 percent of the U.S. population but are 37.6 percent of federal sentences and 13.6 percent of all offenders sentenced for crimes nationwide.

The undocumented (the 3.5%) comprise 12 percent of murder sentences, 20 percent of kidnapping sentences and 16 percent of drug trafficking sentences.

Unauthorized migrants are about 7 percent of the California population but over 12 percent of the state prison population.

But the Calif. Democrats have made them a protected class. WTF! Why do they want to keep criminals here?

This has to be struck down by a higher court, or by a citizen's initiative.

I hope in coming elections the politicians pay dearly for all the new taxes and this bullshit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well whoop dee do.

Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
Eric Holder has been engaged by the state to navigate the legals ins/outs of this and other initiatives being worked by the legislature. Will be interesting if he will personally make the arguments in court.

The same Attorney General that challenged Arizona's controversial new immigration law in court because it is inconsistent with, and is preempted by, federal law.

That is rich!
Quote Reply