Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

heads up: TSA and Powebars = no no
Quote | Reply
first time i was told no powebar on plane: could be explosive. not sure about cliff and other goodies. anyone had that before?
Quote Reply
Re: heads up: TSA and Powebars = no no [Andre Bennatan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW: There have been a number of increased screening measures since the last week of September.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andre, what airport was that? I bring them on all the time. In fact I bring ALL my race nutrition on in my carry on all the time. Just last week in fact.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
but you can always put them in cargo and if you race you probably have luggage in cargo?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andre Bennatan wrote:
first time i was told no powebar on plane: could be explosive. not sure about cliff and other goodies. anyone had that before?
Flying is a pain anymore but I try and roll with it although it's a bit tough... no I've never had a problem with a Powerbar in my tri bag. I use/eat Clifbars, so that'd be what they find in my bag. I'm interested, which country, state, airport flagged your Powerbar?

In my last year of travel I've encountered different measures here in the US... one security didn't even require me to take of my shoes! I forget which airport though. Internationally has been all over the map with really easy all the way up to England at Heathrow.

Having just come back from a multi country trip, my tri bag is a landmine of sorts for airport security. England wanted every gel, my goggle spray, Bodyglide, etc. in a clear bag. These were firsts for me.

Never had a hit on my Clifbars... strange.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't airports sell powerbars?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: heads up: TSA and Powebars = no no [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
Don't airports sell powerbars?

They sell liquor. Try to bring a bottle with you.
Quote Reply
Re: heads up: TSA and Powebars = no no [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
Andre Bennatan wrote:

Yeah its new, last week at both AUS & LAX all food had to go through the scanner in its own tray.

Once through the scanner they were swabbed, the patch was shoved in the testing machine & then I got my bars back.

Not a major hassle, but if in a rush I'd stick them in checked bags & grab some on the other side of security.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently tried to carry a jar of Peter Pan peanut butter (and a loaf of bread) through TSA screening and onto a flight. Got busted and had to either forfeit the peanut butter or go back "upstream" to consume / dispose of the gel accordingly. I asked the TSA agent if a peanut butter and jelly sandwich was OK to take through security,. They said yes. I asked, "even if the sandwich contained a whole jar's worth of peanut butter?"

I left the security line, found a table outside, tore open the loaf of bread and used most of the Peter Pan.

So, the moral of the story - make a sandwich of your powerbars and they should go through just fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shoot, this is a good reminder that my gels are going to have to fit in my toiletry bag or my luggage will have to be checked (unless I want to count on the x-ray screening missing them) :(
Quote Reply
Re: heads up: TSA and Powebars = no no [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flying tomorrow... They're gunna have to take me out with a stun gun to release my death grip on the 40s of OE I'm bringing.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: heads up: TSA and Powebars = no no [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Especially if you're playing Edward 40-hands.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andre Bennatan wrote:

One of many adventures w me, food, and TSA security...
In my carryon, I had lovely gift of 2 lb block of Vermont Aged Cheddar Cheese(in wax) and I was flagged for secondary inspection. As we stood there looking at the xray, the TSA agent and I both sort of gasped, chuckled nervously as I explained what it was.
He: "you know what this looks like?"
Me: "I watch NCIS"
Both of us, same time: "A big block of C4."

It passed all the necessary tests, and I proceeded w cheese in hand.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife got busted trying to carry on PowerBar Chews. The TSA agent said it was food in a foil wrapper, not the gummies, and in the future, they would have to be in a nonfoil lined container.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
Andre Bennatan wrote:

Flying is a pain anymore but I try and roll with it although it's a bit tough... no I've never had a problem with a Powerbar in my tri bag. I use/eat Clifbars, so that'd be what they find in my bag. I'm interested, which country, state, airport flagged your Powerbar?

In my last year of travel I've encountered different measures here in the US... one security didn't even require me to take of my shoes! I forget which airport though. Internationally has been all over the map with really easy all the way up to England at Heathrow.

Having just come back from a multi country trip, my tri bag is a landmine of sorts for airport security. England wanted every gel, my goggle spray, Bodyglide, etc. in a clear bag. These were firsts for me.

That's been the rule for a long time, just not well enforced...especially in the US. All liquids and gels need to be under 3.4 ounces and in a quart-size baggie. I generally take all my consummables on a plane and put the gels, etc in baggies...even my spare soft contacts. But not my Powerbars. I would have eaten one right in front of TSA if they had told me to pitch the bars. BTW - I flew in and out of Manchester Airport in early Jun - right after the Arena bombing. Airport screening on the way out was as tight as I've experienced in many years ... understandably so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW... MCO (Orlando) has been extra suspicious of candies being brought in carry-on bags from the local theme parks, according to a Disney forum.

I used to have a signature...
Quote Reply
Re: heads up: TSA and Powebars = no no [fey2k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My dad used to work at Unilever before he retired and when I was young and poor I'd have him get me degree deodorant from the company store. I went through security at Midway with 15 or so of them in my duffel and they pulled me aside to inspect. They didn't even know what to say.

https://markmcdermott.substack.com
Quote Reply
Re: heads up: TSA and Powebars = no no [fey2k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flew out of Columbus Ohio on Monday with 3 cliff bars in my carry on luggage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a new one in that all food had to come out. In the same tray as my jacket, shoes and stuff was fine but the food out was new. This was last week they asked for this. A couple of months ago same airport didn't require this. I used to just leave it in my carry-on or laptop bag in the past with no fuss.

Yes Cliff bars are fine as I had one (crunchy peanut butter) and 2 granola bars (foil wrapper) which passed the X-ray inspection without a hitch. I travel about 1x a month so that was a new one to me (and a few of the frequent travelers I asked standing next to me in the checkpoint line.
Quote Reply
Re: heads up: TSA and Powebars = no no [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STConcierge wrote:
Andre Bennatan wrote:

One of many adventures w me, food, and TSA security...
In my carryon, I had lovely gift of 2 lb block of Vermont Aged Cheddar Cheese(in wax) and I was flagged for secondary inspection. As we stood there looking at the xray, the TSA agent and I both sort of gasped, chuckled nervously as I explained what it was.
He: "you know what this looks like?"
Me: "I watch NCIS"
Both of us, same time: "A big block of C4."

It passed all the necessary tests, and I proceeded w cheese in hand.
You see the real answer is that a big block of C4 may look like cheese.
Which is normal? Cheese.
Which is a real oddity? C4
Which should be expected? Cheese
Why do we have ridiculous airport security? Illogical paranoia facilitation

If people want to crash a plane, chances are they'll find a way.
If they're going to use explosives I'm sure they could do as much damage far more easily on trains, boats in stadiums, or anywhere else with a contained crowd. The thing that makes a plane more dangerous is that it can potentially be aimed at something. Lock the bloody cockpit and be done with it. Modern airport security is a pantomime.
Quote Reply
Re: heads up: TSA and Powebars = no no [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait till US really gets its way and bands Li-ion batteries from cabin baggage completely

On the food issue. Our baby food is checked every single flight as secondary screening and my kids fly once / twice a month. Four years of it is getting old. Be glad when we no longer need bottles
Quote Reply
Re: heads up: TSA and Powebars = no no [Gary] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the ohare international airport.
twice this week. this morning they said no food no snack in carry ons. a new thing. not sure if its general though.
Quote Reply
Re: heads up: TSA and Powebars = no no [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last march my 5 year old daughter got pulled out of line by TSA. Standing about 2 1/2 ft tall, weighing under 50 pds she's a blond hair blue eyed, pink backpack with a dolphin on it wonder. As they take her to the side wide eyed and getting scared they wipe her hands down, bag down and pull out the bag of crayons I didn't realize were packed in there. They were moderately polite so I wasn't mad but I was shaking my head.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: heads up: TSA and Powebars = no no [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
she's a blond hair blue eyed, .

because we all know they should go after the redheads only
Quote Reply
Re: heads up: TSA and Powebars = no no [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
[

That's been the rule for a long time, just not well enforced...especially in the US. All liquids and gels need to be under 3.4 ounces and in a quart-size baggie.
I'll have to add it to the list of things I do when traveling, my tri bag is a nightmare... multiple pockets with "stuff" that I just toss in when I'm racing locally... but these are first world problems. Already have a clear plastic bag in it and will go through it before I travel. My wife swears they profile me and I think they do sometimes, I get searched a lot.

I still find it somewhat comical that I can carry my bike pump in my tri bag... no questions asked. A ratchet longer than 7.5" or whatever it is... can't do that, had to toss a small torque wrench in Houston. I understand this is the culture we live in since 9-11 and other acts but it can still be frustrating. One bad apple really did spoil the barrel so to speak.
Quote Reply