Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Want to Stop Illegal Immigration? Crack Down on Employers Like This One
Quote | Reply
Everyone's seen their tree trimming trucks. Asplundh, a really large company. And a serial violator of the nation's illegal immigrant employment laws, it seems:

The tree-trimming company Asplundh Tree Expert has been hit with a $95 million fine for knowingly hiring illegal immigrants and for bringing on some under different names who used documents it knew were fraudulent.

It is the largest fine ever in an immigration case in the U.S.

Asplundh pleaded guilty to criminal charges in federal court in Pennsylvania, where it is headquartered, admitting that its managers restructured the company's hiring specifically to evade normal human resources processes and hire illegal aliens, many by word-of-mouth, while giving top-level managers deniability.

If you want to stop illegal immigration, cracking down on employers like Asplundh is a good start.

Montco-based Asplundh admits hiring undocumented immigrants, agrees to pay $95 million

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Want to Stop Illegal Immigration? Crack Down on Employers Like This One [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$95MM sounds like a lot to us mere mortals, but what percentage is that to Asplundh's net worth? The family alone is worth 3.1 billion.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Want to Stop Illegal Immigration? Crack Down on Employers Like This One [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
If you want to stop illegal immigration, cracking down on employers like Asplundh is a good start.
No one (from those of us who buy produce at the grocery store to the guy who wants to build a Trump Tower on 5th Avenue) actually wants to stop all illegal immigration.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Want to Stop Illegal Immigration? Crack Down on Employers Like This One [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want to encourage illegal immigration.

But I am too cheap to pay someone for landscaping or housekeeping.
What should I do?

I could buy food that is produced in the USA. But everyone does that!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've noticed in the last year or so when they come through our neighborhood to clear the lines that very few speak English. The day we settled on our house Asplundh was clearing the lines and none of them could speak English.

Sort of surprised by this. Have a client who worked there and they at least had a very generous retirement plan. Seemed like a good company and had a solid reputation from what I know.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Want to Stop Illegal Immigration? Crack Down on Employers Like This One [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

No one (from those of us who buy produce at the grocery store to the guy who wants to build a Trump Tower on 5th Avenue) actually wants to stop all illegal immigration.

I want to stop ALL illegal immigration. It distorts the labor markets, for one. It's not fair to hopeful legal immigrants, for another. It's corrosive to the rule of law as well.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

I want to stop ALL illegal immigration. It distorts the labor markets, for one. It's not fair to hopeful legal immigrants, for another. It's corrosive to the rule of law as well.

You do, but your government doesn't.

If they did they would do what you have suggested. But they don't.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Want to Stop Illegal Immigration? Crack Down on Employers Like This One [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
I want to encourage illegal immigration.

But I am too cheap to pay someone for landscaping or housekeeping.
What should I do?

I could buy food that is produced in the USA. But everyone does that!

I have seen the changes within my industry, landscaping. When I started my business as a college kid, my friends all had labor jobs. Construction, concrete, landscaping, etc. I hired college kids and high school kids in the summer. I never had illegal aliens or Mexicans apply. Fast forward 15 years and only Hispanic people would apply. Today, I have some dedicated hard working Hispanic guys and some guys that are Caucasian. I have no college kids employed and have not had one apply in a super long time.

Why? Is this progress?

Frankly, I think that the hard working illegal aliens should have sponsors, their employers, in order to gain citizenship. The remaining non-sponsored illegal aliens should be sent back to their home country. It may take time, but hopefully the snowflake college kids that don't want to get their hands dirty, will once again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Everyone's seen their tree trimming trucks. Asplundh, a really large company. And a serial violator of the nation's illegal immigrant employment laws, it seems:

The tree-trimming company Asplundh Tree Expert has been hit with a $95 million fine for knowingly hiring illegal immigrants and for bringing on some under different names who used documents it knew were fraudulent.

It is the largest fine ever in an immigration case in the U.S.

Asplundh pleaded guilty to criminal charges in federal court in Pennsylvania, where it is headquartered, admitting that its managers restructured the company's hiring specifically to evade normal human resources processes and hire illegal aliens, many by word-of-mouth, while giving top-level managers deniability.

Montco-based Asplundh admits hiring undocumented immigrants, agrees to pay $95 million

Didn't contribute enough money last Fall.... or is it another 'family matter'?
Last edited by: windschatten: Oct 8, 17 21:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

These three points end up being raised and eventually rebutted in almost every single immigration thread.

"It distorts labor markets"

All laws (or lack of laws) "distort" labor markets. There is an honest discussion about what is the best "distortion" of the labor market, but that would involve impartial analysis (good luck! ; ). There is an extremely strong case that the present law never accurately accounted for an optimal migrant workforce. The status quo in many ways is less "distorted" by virtue of matching employers with labor at a given payment.

"It's not "fair" to hopeful legal immigrants" (inner quotes are mine).

Been covered with slightly different wording, when you said that it was an insult to legal immigrants last week: response:. "Sorry, no one (least of all my immigrant wife), made you the unbiased Reader of the Insult-O-Meter for all legal immigrants. You can be insulted as a citizen, and that is your certainly your choice. It seems that level of personal insult is an impenetrable barrier to good policy." The switch to "fairness" is a minor variation on the same argument, and presupposes that legal immigrants (the supposed victims in this situation) have any sort of universal opinion on this. They don't, and they probably lean toward some pathway.

"It's corrosive to the rule of law"

That argument can be made for any law that is significantly at odds with common practice. A normal option would be to modify the law to align it with best social policy, but we have created a convenient corollary that any modification of law is even MORE corrosive, so that it must remain inviolate, no matter how destructive it may be.

These arguments haven't budged in decades, they never will.
Last edited by: oldandslow: Oct 8, 17 0:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are tree butchers :-(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does the US have a migrant worker program at all. We have Jamaicans doing fieldwork here. They are usually good guys because if they are not they are not asked back after first year. Also Mexicans but I have no experience with them they work in large greenhouse industry we have.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Want to Stop Illegal Immigration? Crack Down on Employers Like This One [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

These three points end up being raised and eventually rebutted in almost every single immigration thread.

"It distorts labor markets"

All laws (or lack of laws) "distort" labor markets. There is an honest discussion about what is the best "distortion" of the labor market, but that would involve impartial analysis (good luck! ; ). There is an extremely strong case that the present law never accurately accounted for an optimal migrant workforce. The status quo in many ways is less "distorted" by virtue of matching employers with labor at a given payment.

"It's not "fair" to hopeful legal immigrants" (inner quotes are mine).

Been covered with slightly different wording, when you said that it was an insult to legal immigrants last week: response:. "Sorry, no one (least of all my immigrant wife), made you the unbiased Reader of the Insult-O-Meter for all legal immigrants. You can be insulted as a citizen, and that is your certainly your choice. It seems that level of personal insult is an impenetrable barrier to good policy." The switch to "fairness" is a minor variation on the same argument, and presupposes that legal immigrants (the supposed victims in this situation) have any sort of universal opinion on this. They don't, and they probably lean toward some pathway.

"It's corrosive to the rule of law"

That argument can be made for any law that is significantly at odds with common practice. A normal option would be to modify the law to align it with best social policy, but we have created a convenient corollary that any modification of law is even MORE corrosive, so that it must remain inviolate, no matter how destructive it may be.

These arguments haven't budged in decades, they never will.

Yada, yada. Yay, illegal aliens!

Sounds like a lot of excuse-making to me. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are the chances that they will actually pay it? And if they do, would it be a deterrent for them and other mega rich companies or would they just write it off as a business expense and fuck it all?
Quote Reply
Re: Want to Stop Illegal Immigration? Crack Down on Employers Like This One [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Frankly, I think that the hard working illegal aliens should have sponsors, their employers, in order to gain citizenship. The remaining non-sponsored illegal aliens should be sent back to their home country. It may take time, but hopefully the snowflake college kids that don't want to get their hands dirty, will once again.

This is my stance. I'm all for immigration. My grandfather has hired workers from Mexico for quite some time on his farm. Usually the same peole who return legally each year for harvest season. I don't even have a problem if they never intend to be citizens as long as they get the proper visas. My industry does it all the time sending American citizens to other countries to work. But there is a legal process that needs to be followed.
Quote Reply
Re: Want to Stop Illegal Immigration? Crack Down on Employers Like This One [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KG6 wrote:
Quote:

This is my stance. I'm all for immigration. My grandfather has hired workers from Mexico for quite some time on his farm. Usually the same peole who return legally each year for harvest season. I don't even have a problem if they never intend to be citizens as long as they get the proper visas. My industry does it all the time sending American citizens to other countries to work. But there is a legal process that needs to be followed.
-
I'll go ahead and make the jump before the next liberal chimes in...WHY DO YOU HATE BROWN PEOPLE???
Quote Reply