Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Which upgrade for ITT should come first. [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
i know it is an old pic but you need to learn to shrug.
also, gp4k tires may not be the fastest for you, going to depend of your particular wheels and frame/fork interaction with the set up you use. i had one bike where gp4k was a 10w hit vs SS tire up front but on different bike down to <2w for same equipment. not to mention, but narrow tires are more aero in general.

i am close to your size(1 inch shorter, weight similar) and go sub 51(not at altitude) on 306w i am actually faster on breezier days than still air days

10W is huge.

I do need to learn to shrug. As I said earlier I moved the pads closer and increased reach (which will have to get changed back to become UCI legal). This lead to less fatique with shrugging.

However, I there is a huge difference in my shoulder width when I am shrugging vs. relaxed. I am at least a few inches wider.

47.0kmh would be awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Which upgrade for ITT should come first. [Triagain3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my goal is to always get my shoulders as narrow as my rib cage. :) given a 41-42" chest, this is easy :)
Quote Reply
Re: Which upgrade for ITT should come first. [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chicanery wrote:
The Pro Evo has a 31.8 mount, as does the new Profile Aeria. Those are expensive, but there are others.

For just a base, there is a good Syntace that has a much narrower clamping section, and better airfoils. That would be the cheapest option. Also comes in 38Cm wide.

so that bar would set me back almost as much as a Giro aerohead. I wonder how many watts it is worth. I know you would not know this. Just thinking aloud.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a stack of them. I need at least one for a future project, but I can probably part with one cheap to further your cause.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sent you a pm. Looks like there is a used market for these bars on e-bay as well.

Might be a worth while upgrade.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are 10 watts available on your front end. You might only get 6-8 on the cheaper upgrades keeping the 31.8, but I'd call it worth it.

The Syntace is the most aero 31.8 base bar, except the ultra narrow 3T. You might want to consider that as well. Make sure you take a look at the cable routing on some of those 3T bars though, sometimes they screwed it up very badly.

TriRig brake. Just do it. It's worth it at twice the price for a bike that has brake bosses.

3T levers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The tri rig is a great upgrade. But...

The shipping to Canada from Tri-rig is insane. So I am keeping my eyes out on a used one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chicanery wrote:
There are 10 watts available on your front end. You might only get 6-8 on the cheaper upgrades keeping the 31.8, but I'd call it worth it.

The Syntace is the most aero 31.8 base bar, except the ultra narrow 3T. You might want to consider that as well. Make sure you take a look at the cable routing on some of those 3T bars though, sometimes they screwed it up very badly.

TriRig brake. Just do it. It's worth it at twice the price for a bike that has brake bosses.

3T levers.

Do you have data to back this up?

Were I the OP I'd be looking for Tulas.
Quote Reply
Re: Which upgrade for ITT should come first. [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do.

Not identical, setup but close.

TRP front brake center pull, Profile prosvet bar, profile levers, adjustable stem to Ventus and a Tririg brake. Suplicy Quantum
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you tested against the Tula, HED Black Dog, et al.?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't you use an Alpha X setup?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
No.

Opps.

Do you believe the money would be well spent on the front end of my Transition? You do a ton of testing, will it make that much of a difference?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes and no. If you can source Tulas (narrower the better)/Alphas/PRO Missile Evos cheap (easiest with the Tula), then yeah you'll save a few watts with no real effort. If you have to pay retail then you're almost at the cost of aero testing, so not sure I'd bother in that case.

Best bet is to spend time Chung testing with aerolab. There are a few services out there that will help you with protocol and collate the data properly for a small fee (AeroCoach being one, but there are couple others; I'll have to check if they're still trading).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.aeroweenie.com/...img/data/aerobar.png

Found this. Interesting. Apparently from Cervelo testing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tula yes, Black Dog, no. Have never tested any of the 3 HED bars. I built a bar similar to the Tula that tests better, and has brake levers that work better as well.

Tula often requires an adjustable stem since the extensions always mount inline. Stems and round clamping are the worst for Aero.

I will put it this way: I own a lot of Ventus, and sold the Tulas. Ventus II is my favorite bar, as it also can be used with Magura brakes which I love.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ventus II is fantastic, but alas has too much stack.

Interesting thoughts on then clamping, as I've found that different bars and stem combinations have different interactions (and some integrated systems are just horrendous even though they look slick).

Yeah, the Tulas tend to work best for those who need a low stack (moving to Enves on the T4 for this reason). From a braking standpoint, my front is instantaneous (as strong as any of my road bikes) even with super dodgy routing, and the rear is fine (tbh I don't think I've used my rear brake this year, plus I shaved the pads the wrong way so likely not a good barometer).

Be interested to see the bars you built.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How can you mount a tririg brake effectively if you aren't using the tririg stem, won't the cable be awkward? I'd like to get the tririg brake but worry about the cable routing.

Grill wrote:
chicanery wrote:

3T levers.

Do you have data to back this up?

Were I the OP I'd be looking for Tulas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chicanery wrote:
The biggest bang for your buck will be handlebars.

The Profile Svet is not aero, and all of it is in the wind.

3T Ventus, Tririg Alpha X, etc.

There will be a gain there but unless he's already done some major positional work, it's not as high up the list of prioritys. Helmet, skinsuit (and both worked in together with positional work) will likely yield him the lowest hanging fruit. There are always gains to be had. Look at it this way, I'm 6ft 3, 90kg, well built and after several visits to aerocoach have recently made some radical changes to get myself down to a sub 0.2 CdA.
Quote Reply
Re: Which upgrade for ITT should come first. [UK Gearmuncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UK Gearmuncher wrote:
chicanery wrote:

There will be a gain there but unless he's already done some major positional work, it's not as high up the list of prioritys. Helmet, skinsuit (and both worked in together with positional work) will likely yield him the lowest hanging fruit. There are always gains to be had. Look at it this way, I'm 6ft 3, 90kg, well built and after several visits to aerocoach have recently made some radical changes to get myself down to a sub 0.2 CdA.

That is an incredible CdA for your height and weight. Got a picture you could share of what that position looks like?
Quote Reply
Re: Which upgrade for ITT should come first. [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
UK Gearmuncher wrote:
chicanery wrote:

That is an incredible CdA for your height and weight. Got a picture you could share of what that position looks like?

I haven't.....purely as it's a new position only achieved last week. However, to give you some backstory, I played in the wind tunnel 6 years ago. I started out at a mid 0.24 and we eventually got it down to a very long 0.22. I stayed like that for a few years and dabbled in pseudo superman positions and other stuff (as I don't tt under uci rules). A year ago I went to see aerocoach for velodrome based testing. You can't compare cda's from different methods but we got me down from a 0.23 down to a short 0.22. Since then I lost 6kg in weight, changed my skin suit and replaced my wheels and tyres. When I got remeasured a fortnight ago I was down to a mid 0.21. I went there wanting to do some experimentation based upon some ideas I got at the uci age group worlds in the tt. The outcome of that drove things sub 0.20. In fact, I had a couple of runs at 0.196 and 0.198. The key idea was that I'd spent years trying to get the air through me (as is often the way for larger riders) but I played around with getting the air to go round me since helmets and suits have changed and allowed this to work.
Quote Reply
Re: Which upgrade for ITT should come first. [UK Gearmuncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From one "big" guy to another (6'2", 80kg), I'm submitting another vote for pics and descriptions of your setup! Doesn't have to be perfect, just give us a sneak peak.

Scott
Quote Reply

Prev Next