Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Crash worthiness
Quote | Reply
Bad head on collision near my house the other day. Two black SUVs hit what looks to me like dead-center head on hit, no offset from what I can tell of the remains.

Vehicle 1 - Jeep Liberty - two teens, driver died, passenger critical. Cockpit looks unsurvivable to me, crushed beyond recognition.

Vehicle 2 - Audi Q7 - older male driver walks away. Car absolutely creamed but cockpit completely intact.

Both vehicles have 5 star frontal collision safety ratings. A million factors in play with every collision, but damn, what a difference in outcome.
Quote Reply
Re: Crash worthiness [North] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ceteris Paribus, the Q7 would have experienced less deceleration due to its greater mass. Not a huge difference... about 700lbs... but still a difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
North wrote:
Bad head on collision near my house the other day. Two black SUVs hit what looks to me like dead-center head on hit, no offset from what I can tell of the remains.

Vehicle 1 - Jeep Liberty - two teens, driver died, passenger critical. Cockpit looks unsurvivable to me, crushed beyond recognition.

Vehicle 2 - Audi Q7 - older male driver walks away. Car absolutely creamed but cockpit completely intact.

Both vehicles have 5 star frontal collision safety ratings. A million factors in play with every collision, but damn, what a difference in outcome.

5 stars doesn't tell the complete story. The liberty meets the requirements, but the q7 exceeds them. From the links I've found, the q7 is listed "superior" in front impact collisions.

And when you look at the technical test results, the footwell intrusion, steering column and instrument panel movement are 5 to 10 times greater in the liberty compared to the q7.

It looks like the Audi is just simply a safer vehicle in a frontal collision. And it's bigger. :-)

http://www.iihs.org/...p/liberty-4-door-suv

http://www.iihs.org/...v/audi/q7-4-door-suv
Last edited by: Ringmaster: Oct 4, 17 20:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
North wrote:

Collision in DE that killed the Archmere student? If so, I saw the pics of the vehicles yesterday and thought the same thing WRT the state of the cars and the difference in injuries.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My neighbor was driving an Acura MDX (based on the Honda Pilot, I think) and was hit head on by a woman in a small pickup. The lady in the truck died, and my neighbor walked away. She went out and bought another MDX after that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.wdel.com/news/teens-in-serious-critical-condition-following-head-on-crash-along/article_c7ed1116-a553-11e7-b5e2-77e032ed3608.html

What a difference! The Crunch zone definitely went deeper on the Liberty!
I Wonder if some how the Audi smashed its way up and over the Jeep's engine?

Quote Reply
Re: Crash worthiness [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As i understood it all these cars are meant to direct all forces around and not through the driving space; so engine down under feet though looking at the picture it appears that the impact on the audi did not extend beyond the fron wheel arch

Amazing engineering

Obviously VW share their platforms across ranges so the q7 has same front end as bentley and prosche

I'd be interested in the mqb platform results

Edit to add: i think front crash prevention might be stock on q7 - it was not stock on my vw group car but i got the extra. In the event of a head on i bet the q7 was braking before driver and
Last edited by: Andrewmc: Oct 5, 17 7:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This inspired me to go look up the ratings and crash test results of my car. It isn’t the absolute best, but it’s not too bad...

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek
https://www.nhtsa.gov/...fety-ratings-frontal

Quote Reply
Re: Crash worthiness [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
North wrote:

Collision in DE that killed the Archmere student? If so, I saw the pics of the vehicles yesterday and thought the same thing WRT the state of the cars and the difference in injuries.

Yep, you got it. And the photo above tells the story of a well made vehicle vs a POS cheap Jeep.
Quote Reply