Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What's your take on Cam Newton? [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thing has really blown up. Dannon apparently dropped him as sponsor.

I love seeing all the hot, blonde sports reporters outraged at the sexism (there are a couple hot brunette ones too).
Quote Reply
Re: What's your take on Cam Newton? [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread needs to be merged with the "People are Losing Their Minds" thread.

I do believe some people seek out the opportunities to be shocked and outraged. They live for it.
Quote Reply
Re: What's your take on Cam Newton? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
He's a douchebag. I'm not sure this particular incident is a big add to his already douchetastic reputation, but it's not really a surprise.

sphere wrote:
Aside from looking and sounding like a total jackass, what planet is he living on where female sports reporters and analysts don't understand basic concepts like receiver routes? This is a new development in his world?

Exactly. I'll cop to hating on sCam ever since he got away with his dad whoring out his recruitment to Auburn in blatant violation of pay-for-play rules, but for anyone who's been paying attention this is hardly out of keeping at all with his bubble of self-absorption.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So NFL players are taking a knee and holding each others hands to make a stand for equality and then one of the poster children of the sport basically says women don't count in our fight for equality? Good move there superman!
Quote Reply
Re: What's your take on Cam Newton? [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
I don't like Cam as an individual or a player but I think people are just looking for reasons to be offended in today's society. Plenty of male sports reporters ask stupid questions and in my opinion the vast majority of female sports reporters ask canned questions that give the appearance they don't understand the game. Because of that reality and Cam's immaturity I can see him being surprised to hear that question from a woman. I think this speaks more to his immaturity than it does sexism.

Why pose this as one or the other? I'll agree 100% that he's very immature, but that doesn't mean he can't be, or isn't, sexist too.
Quote Reply
Re: What's your take on Cam Newton? [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
Perseus wrote:
I don't like Cam as an individual or a player but I think people are just looking for reasons to be offended in today's society. Plenty of male sports reporters ask stupid questions and in my opinion the vast majority of female sports reporters ask canned questions that give the appearance they don't understand the game. Because of that reality and Cam's immaturity I can see him being surprised to hear that question from a woman. I think this speaks more to his immaturity than it does sexism.

Why pose this as one or the other? I'll agree 100% that he's very immature, but that doesn't mean he can't be, or isn't, sexist too.

Ha, that reminds me of the quote "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice."
Quote Reply
Re: What's your take on Cam Newton? [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
RangerGress wrote:
We as a culture have become too sensitive about being offended over isms. Every protected class is sure that they're an object of unfair treatment so they see everything thru a filter that is constantly looking for offense.

Sometimes people treat another poorly because they're shitheads. Or they weren't thinking, or, on the other hand, it was a relatively innocent situation of mildly boorish behavior and the offendee should simply get over it. Taking offense shouldn't be a hobby.

^^^THIS^^^

Spiridon Louis wrote:
I’m a male gynecologist. Is it sexist when patients express surprise that I understand what’s going on in their lives? I take it as a compliment that I’m good at my job. Cam, as he often does, spoke awkwardly. But he meant no harm. And people who are offended are just looking to be offended.

Cool story, bro. We'll keep that in mind the next time you have your panties in a twist because poor ol' white guys just can't catch a break anymore with all the broads and coloreds popping off. Remind me which ones are the snowflakes again?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was just watching the business channel and this topic came up. Two of the women on the panel got into a little argument about this, one saying he was just being a guy and the other explaining how would you feel if someone you were interviewing here po pooed your knowledge of stocks? And then the defender said we talk all the time how we know shit about sports, and the other says true but I don't assign that to all women. IT was fun to see a cat fight on the business channel. (Am I in trouble for saying cat fight?)
Quote Reply
Re: What's your take on Cam Newton? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
EndlessH2O wrote:
Bless her heart...poor little snowflake...attention seeking who$% (ok that last one might be a little strong).

The fact that ESPN is running with this does not shock me at all - their m.o. is political/social justice, and this story fits their m.o.

From the article I read I didn't see her as either attention-seeking or a whore. She was asked about it, and responded, then chose to, figuratively, walk away from the issue. I think you might be the snowflake here - sounds like you were trigger'd. :)

Me triggered? Hardly.

The mere fact that she doubled-down by asking him later, to which her reply was what he said later was way worse and providing no further details, tells me that she was all about making it about her (and her being offended). Writers/reporters need to learn from the zebras on the field - DON"T CALL ATTENTION TO YOURSELF!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
RangerGress wrote:
We as a culture have become too sensitive about being offended over isms. Every protected class is sure that they're an object of unfair treatment so they see everything thru a filter that is constantly looking for offense.

Sometimes people treat another poorly because they're shitheads. Or they weren't thinking, or, on the other hand, it was a relatively innocent situation of mildly boorish behavior and the offendee should simply get over it. Taking offense shouldn't be a hobby.

^^^THIS^^^

Spiridon Louis wrote:
I’m a male gynecologist. Is it sexist when patients express surprise that I understand what’s going on in their lives? I take it as a compliment that I’m good at my job. Cam, as he often does, spoke awkwardly. But he meant no harm. And people who are offended are just looking to be offended.

Cool story, bro. We'll keep that in mind the next time you have your panties in a twist because poor ol' white guys just can't catch a break anymore with all the broads and coloreds popping off. Remind me which ones are the snowflakes again?

Just collecting data points for a friend in another forum who is too shy to post here.

Of the folks who replied that: people are too easily offended, this is no big deal, suck it up buttercup, Cam did nothing wrong, some people are just looking to be offended, etc. Are you:
1) white male
2) non white male
3) white female
4) non white female
5) none of the above.

Thank you much. Again, just gathering data points for a friend - no horse in this race.
Quote Reply
Re: What's your take on Cam Newton? [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
OneGoodLeg wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
RangerGress wrote:

^^^THIS^^^

Spiridon Louis wrote:

Just collecting data points for a friend in another forum who is too shy to post here.

Of the folks who replied that: people are too easily offended, this is no big deal, suck it up buttercup, Cam did nothing wrong, some people are just looking to be offended, etc. Are you:
1) white male
2) non white male
3) white female
4) non white female
5) none of the above.

Thank you much. Again, just gathering data points for a friend - no horse in this race.

Well, I started the thread and did not say any of those things BTW, this whole incident has taken another turn. Apparently now, the journalist has apologized for some "racist" tweets a few years back, one including the super bad word.
Quote Reply
Re: What's your take on Cam Newton? [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in Charlotte and am not particularly a fan. However, Cam does a lot for the community beyond the basic team PR stuff. Some of it is well publicised which you can be cynical about, and some of it isn't. That should be considered when making broad judgemental statements about the guy.
Quote Reply
Re: What's your take on Cam Newton? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cat fight?!?!
Quote Reply
Re: What's your take on Cam Newton? [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cat fight?!?!

I believe Websters defines it as when two women are within arms length proximity, and they disagree on a particular topic, what ensues afterwards is often referred to as a "cat fight". Look it up, its in the dictionary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife was a sports reporter in the early 90's. She took a lot of crap and gave it right back. Glad social media wasn't around then.
Quote Reply
Re: What's your take on Cam Newton? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Cat fight?!?!

I believe Websters defines it as when two women are within arms length proximity, and they disagree on a particular topic, what ensues afterwards is often referred to as a "cat fight". Look it up, its in the dictionary.

I meant it more like...

Ye ye cat fight!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:

Have you actually watched It? It wasn't awkward, it was asshole.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: What's your take on Cam Newton? [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
trail wrote:
EndlessH2O wrote:
Bless her heart...poor little snowflake...attention seeking who$% (ok that last one might be a little strong).

The fact that ESPN is running with this does not shock me at all - their m.o. is political/social justice, and this story fits their m.o.

From the article I read I didn't see her as either attention-seeking or a whore. She was asked about it, and responded, then chose to, figuratively, walk away from the issue. I think you might be the snowflake here - sounds like you were trigger'd. :)

Me triggered? Hardly.

The mere fact that she doubled-down by asking him later, to which her reply was what he said later was way worse and providing no further details, tells me that she was all about making it about her (and her being offended). Writers/reporters need to learn from the zebras on the field - DON"T CALL ATTENTION TO YOURSELF!

I think you're trying really hard to be outraged by her behavior.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
RangerGress wrote:

^^^THIS^^^

Spiridon Louis wrote:

You are the one who's upset, not me. And I reject the words you seem to be trying to put in my mouth. They represent neither what I said nor how I feel. There is a racist in this story though -- hint: it's the reporter.
Quote Reply
Re: What's your take on Cam Newton? [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
I thought that was an SNL skit at first.

I'd say that was pretty insulting to her. Our regional director is a woman. Next time she holds a meeting I wonder what would happen if I told her it was funny to hear about market trends from a female.

^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
OneGoodLeg wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
RangerGress wrote:

^^^THIS^^^

Spiridon Louis wrote:

You are the one who's upset, not me. And I reject the words you seem to be trying to put in my mouth. They represent neither what I said nor how I feel. There is a racist in this story though -- hint: it's the reporter.

Yup she will probably be out of a job soon although the SJW will be confused because it was misogyny by an athlete but she's a racist, so is he the victim or is she?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
There is a racist in this story though -- hint: it's the reporter.

Really? Is she? She made fun of the fact that her dad tells racist jokes, and she retweeted something from a parody account that had the n-word in it.

Not sure that makes her a racist.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: What's your take on Cam Newton? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
There is a racist in this story though -- hint: it's the reporter.

Really? Is she? She made fun of the fact that her dad tells racist jokes, and she retweeted something from a parody account that had the n-word in it.

Not sure that makes her a racist.

You don't understand how SJW works. Off to the reeducation camp with you.
Quote Reply

Prev Next