Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Is it blasphemy to admit I can't wait to get my road bike back? [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:
There's a myriad of things that road bikes do considerably better.
---

Do tell!)

* Climbing, esp out of the saddle
* Descending
* Sprinting
* Chasing down and drafting behind trucks and Sunday drivers
* Riding in traffic
* Scenic long-distance rides
* Eating, stretching, and riding in varied hand positions
* Being stylistic on the bike, vs. just being a tri-dork.

(Ok the last point, real cyclists understand what I'm talking about...
Real cyclist = someone w/ a racing background.)

I'd give you all except the last point - road bikes are no more stylish than tri bikes, except to roadies. Both look equally weird to anyone on the outside.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it blasphemy to admit I can't wait to get my road bike back? [RonanIRL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't mind riding my TT bike, but end up riding my road bike more. Number one reason: it takes me about 20-25 minutes to get out of town. And I feel I can die about twice every one of those minutes. Once I'm out of town, it's fine. So every now and then I'll load the P4 into the car and drive to a parking lot at the edge of town, but most of the times I'm too lazy for that.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it blasphemy to admit I can't wait to get my road bike back? [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to see all the honesty about people loving their Roadies. Too many posts people boast about only riding TT bikes in the forums when we know that the majority of us ride our Roadies most of the time. By definition road bikes are more comfortable fit or no fit. And a road bike with Aero bars and well tuned geometry is heaven with the best of both worlds... For training... Cuz we all know that a TT bike is 1 miles per hour to 2 miles per hour faster any day of the week.
Last edited by: FranzZemen: Oct 5, 17 19:42
Quote Reply
Re: Is it blasphemy to admit I can't wait to get my road bike back? [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is excellent news
Quote Reply
Re: Is it blasphemy to admit I can't wait to get my road bike back? [FranzZemen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FranzZemen wrote:
Glad to see all the honesty about people loving their Roadies. Too many posts people boast about only riding TT bikes in the forums when we know that the majority of us ride our Roadies most of the time. By definition road bikes are more comfortable fit or no fit. And a road bike with Aero bars and well tuned geometry is heaven with the best of both worlds... For training... Cuz we all know that a TT bike is 1 miles per hour to 2 miles per hour faster any day of the week.
I can't agree with the bit in bold. A road bike is excellent when you use it as designed, i.e. riding most of the time on the hoods or drops. I hate clip-ons on the road bike although financially and storage wise it can be an attractive option. A good position with clip-ons is generally at odds with a good road bike position. A good triathlon position on the extensions will typically require both the saddle and the handlebars further forward than is compatible with a good road position. So you either switch the setup between rides or you ride with the bike setup for one of the two options and are far from ideal when in the other.
I love my road bike and my tri bike and I'm very happy with both positions. However, I couldn't possibly achieve them both on the same bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it blasphemy to admit I can't wait to get my road bike back? [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both look equally weird to anyone on the outside.

True.

To almost all motorists, it's not a commuter, courier, road cyclist, triathlete, . . . it's a cyclist!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Is it blasphemy to admit I can't wait to get my road bike back? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Both look equally weird to anyone on the outside.

True.

To almost all motorists, it's not a commuter, courier, road cyclist, triathlete, . . . it's a cyclist!

Yep, I think most non-cyclists differentiate into two categories at most.
  • Cyclist in normal clothes (The more ignorant motorist contingent tend to think of these as people who can't afford cars)
  • Cyclist in lycra (The more ignorant of the general public tend to think of these as wannabe tour de france cyclists)
No-one outside of cycling sport circles is too bothered beyond that. Nor would I expect them to be. I know bugger all about plenty other sports. That's okay!
Quote Reply
Re: Is it blasphemy to admit I can't wait to get my road bike back? [RonanIRL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride my road bike all the time year round, gets most of my training miles.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it blasphemy to admit I can't wait to get my road bike back? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The beast rides again! Many thanks to ST'er Mike from MA for the wheel deal!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those doing a reasonable amount of training on their road bike, would you recommend a more aggressive race bike with geometry more similar to my try bike (I get its totally different) or a having less "racy" "endurance" geometry bike as a change up to the tri bike?

Thanks.
Quote Reply

Prev Next