Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shoulder cramping during the run
Quote | Reply
Hey guys, I've been having some crazy cramping occurring in my traps and shoulders when I run longer than 90 minutes or so. No amount a stretching, strength training, massage, etc. has proven to eliminate it. Any thoughts out there? While it doesn't prevent me from doing longer runs, it sure hurts. I'd love to resolve this issue if at all possible...so thanks in advance for any advice!
Quote Reply
Re: Shoulder cramping during the run [Papanwa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had trouble like this as well. Have you tried making sure your hands pass the tops of your legs as you run? Have a look at any of the long-distance runners on YouTube, they always "swing" their arms so their hands pass their hips. this relives stress on your shoulder joints as you are not trying to tense them. I'm no expert but I found this worked for me after I took on board some advice from a colleague.

Other ideas are to use a lacrosse ball behind your shoulder when you're standing back against a wall to roll out any knots in that area. I've found that really helps if you try do it daily.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoulder cramping during the run [RonanIRL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info! I have done the ball massage routine, and while it feels really good, it doesn't prevent the cramps (it only treats the soreness/stiffness I get after the run). However, I'll try the hand positioning you mentioned. I'm willing to try anything! Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had this problem in the past while racing - I eventually traced it back to bike fit. I was 'chasing the bars' with my elbows too far forward. This put stress on my shoulders which led to cramping during the run. You don't reference biking in your post - but if you are riding in a poor position that could lead to stress/irritation that is exposed during your longer runs.

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's happened to me, and even as a pure runner (not a result of coming off the bike). I wish I could tell you what fixed it, but for me all I know is the more I ran the less I felt it, and now it hasn't happened in years.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hows your running posture? Do you look down when you run? Maybe a shoulder support may help I sometimes wear this one when runnign and it helps with my psoture and stops me from straining my shoulder.

https://nuovahealth.co.uk/shop/shoulder-support/
Last edited by: mandymandy: Oct 9, 17 3:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same problem, always right shoulder. I'm following to read how other people solved this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get it from time to time. My issue is being to tense with my upper body and arms when I run. Shaking my arms out and relaxing seems to help.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Last edited by: Leddy: Oct 6, 17 7:11
Quote Reply
Re: Shoulder cramping during the run [mandymandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I usually do look down and out while I run - maybe 5-10 feet ahead of me.

I also notice that I do shrug a little bit while I run. However, I am not sure that this is the cause of the cramps because they happen even when I focus on maintain relaxed shoulders too.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoulder cramping during the run [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Completely OFF topic:

I am showing my age here, but Toby, great twist on Gordon Gekko’s speech!
Quote Reply