Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

People are losing their minds like it’s Y2K...
Quote | Reply
as if it is 1999. Within the last five weeks a lot of shit has happened worldwide, especially with the earthquakes, hurricanes and the massacre. None of this has been pleasant to learn about let alone see on television but why is it that when stuff like this occurs people lose their shit?
In the span of all of this madness, I have heard some of the dumbest stuff come out of some mouths like:
“John Doe spent 25 years as a cop without injury only to be shot at a country concert. “
“This was at a country concert. It does not make sense.”
“Why don’t the people of Puerto Rico clear out the streets instead of waiting for Trump?”
“I wonder if Melania will arrive in Puerto Rico wearing flippidty flops.”

After Irma, a woman came into work crying because she could not connect her telephone (no one she physically knows) cruise agent. Yesterday the same woman came in crying about Vegas then blowing up at me when I asked which cruise line she plans to use on an upcoming cruise. She kept saying she is stressed out. Okay cool, but shit man, leave that crap in the car or at home.

I remember people losing their minds for Y2K for the sake of going nuts. My father and I jumped on a plane to Singapore and Indonesia for ten days. We thought if the world ends, at least we would be together and on our way to a new place. I stand a greater chance of being hit by a car while cycling than being shot by someone or being injured by an act of Mother Nature.

Quote | Reply
Your pragmatism, alone, is further cause for pandemonium!!!

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: People are losing their minds like it’s Y2K... [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some folks have turned worry into a hobby. You would deny them their hobby of choice?

My mother in law watches the CNN all day. Every couple of days she calls my wife stressing over this and that. If wife doesn't validate her mother's concerns, mother gets mad.

Recall the eclipse. Mother in law told my wife "YOU CANNOT FLY DURING THE ECLIPSE, CHANGE YOUR PLAN", as if modern jumbo jets found darkness challenging. When wife told told her mother "it's the following weekend I'm flying to CT to see you", Mom said "I still don't want you to fly, it's too dangerous. You should drive instead".

People can be nutty. <shrugs shoulders> what can you do?

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
“I wonder if Melania will arrive in Puerto Rico wearing flippidty flops.”

All I know is that I saw someone describe Melania's outfit in PR as "disaster chic."

I'm now going to use that to describe how I dress on any given day. In case you were wondering, I get my premium mediocre disaster chic at Kohl's.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
agreed

i deploy overseas into theater to help do some stuff and we get rocketed about once a week. The Wife, my Daughter and Mom make it out to be like I'm hunkered down around Henderson Field on Guadalcanal with the Tokyo Express coming thru. The reality is quite different--of every attack last rotation only ONE even managed to give a good shaking to the building i mostly worked in. The CRAM did go off quit often tho.

As i relate to my relative female loved ones i am MUCH more likely to die while riding on a rural GA two lane on my pedal bike. Run down by some HS girl named Brittney sexting to her BF while driving some humongous oversized SUV her Daddy bought her for her safety. Based on the last time this exact scenario bore out here in my part of GA the young lady will never spend a day in jail but her life will be ruined--just ruined i tell you. Like she'll even think of it on her next trip to PCB w her friends

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Boredom, pure and simple. They literally can't think of anything better to do or to think of so they fill their time with stuff that has little to do with them but gives them something to talk about. They can be about the business of worrying instead of confronting the fact that their lives are hollow.

Seems to get worse with age and isolation. My own mother has predicted the end of the world based on her findings in the Bible at least 10 times in the past 2 years. Just a few weekends ago was another sure end of the world day. Funny how it doesn't shake her resolve each time it doesn't work out. But hey, it sure gives her something to occupy her time with.
Last edited by: aarondb4: Oct 4, 17 14:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  1. People have been losing their shit forever.
  2. Due to social media, we now know every time somebody loses their shit (and it's covered until the next time somebody else loses their shit)
  3. Due to #2, everyone is searching for their chance to lose their shit
  4. Sports, comedy, music, (all places we used to previously go to escape and not lose our shit) are now full of people losing their shit, which causes more people to lose their shit

Quote Reply
Re: People are losing their minds like it’s Y2K... [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
  2. Due to social media, we now know every time somebody loses their shit (and it's covered until the next time somebody else loses their shit)
  4. Sports, comedy, music, (all places we used to previously go to escape and not lose our shit) are now full of people losing their shit, which causes more people to lose their shit

Sounds very George Carlin like
Quote Reply
Re: People are losing their minds like it’s Y2K... [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
DJRed wrote:

Sounds very George Carlin like

I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but if it's bad, I stand fully prepared to lose my shit.
Quote Reply
Re: People are losing their minds like it’s Y2K... [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm.... One thing I can't help but noticing in common with all these anecdotal cases above is the nutters are *cough* all womens *cough* ~ with the exception of one of my brothers, I see the same in my own family too. The flip answer, of course, is PMS, but I'm not so sure it's entirely baseless, either.

And then I recall reading some legit sciency-type articles about all the synthetic estrogen analogs found in so much of our everyday plastics & packaging these days, and it makes one wonder...?

Only about 64% joking here.
Quote Reply
Re: People are losing their minds like it’s Y2K... [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:

I don't necessarily agree with #1. I think people are just getting more and more soft with each generation. The rest I tend to agree with. There's affirmation that it's okay when it is being showcased everywhere.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the problems I see repeatedly is that people only visit sites that confirm their views no matter how wacky they are. They don't want to hear contrary opinions, so it's no surprise when they freak out. The best thing most people could do is turn off the electronics and go for a long walk in the woods.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: People are losing their minds like it’s Y2K... [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
One of the problems I see repeatedly is that people only visit sites that confirm their views no matter how wacky they are. They don't want to hear contrary opinions, so it's no surprise when they freak out. The best thing most people could do is turn off the electronics and go for a long walk in the woods.
That’s the best post I’ve read in quite awhile here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What am I missing?

Oh, right, cable tv.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: People are losing their minds like it’s Y2K... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
What am I missing?

Oh, right, cable tv.
Not necessarily. Local news is just as bad and some of the social media people like to drown themselves in plays a big part in this craziness.

Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
Duffy wrote:
What am I missing?

Oh, right, cable tv.
Not necessarily. Local news is just as bad and some of the social media people like to drown themselves in plays a big part in this craziness.

I don’t watch any news shows and I don’t Facebook.

I’m on IG but if anyone I follow posts anything political I dump them.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: People are losing their minds like it’s Y2K... [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
Hmmmm.... One thing I can't help but noticing in common with all these anecdotal cases above is the nutters are *cough* all womens *cough* ~ with the exception of one of my brothers, I see the same in my own family too. The flip answer, of course, is PMS, but I'm not so sure it's entirely baseless, either.

And then I recall reading some legit sciency-type articles about all the synthetic estrogen analogs found in so much of our everyday plastics & packaging these days, and it makes one wonder...?

Only about 64% joking here.
Yes, women get dramatic and nutty during times like this.

Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
I stand a greater chance of being hit by a car while cycling ...

This happened to me this past Saturday.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
I remember people losing their minds for Y2K for the sake of going nuts. My father and I jumped on a plane to Singapore and Indonesia for ten days. We thought if the world ends, at least we would be together and on our way to a new place.
I didn't do anything for Y2K.

But I grew up riding my bike/walking on my own everywhere I needed to go when I was growing up. Playing tackle football in the back yard without any equipment other than a football. Riding in the back of a pickup truck bed and in cars with no seat belts. Mowing the lawn without ear and eye protection. Eating in restaurants and being asked "Smoking or non-smoking?" Getting on a commercial airliner without taking off my shoes to get to the gate (and then dealing with more cigarette smoke on a six-hour flight).

Those were the days.........

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
What am I missing?

Nothing. You should be getting a heavy dose of it here on the LR. In fact, you wrote a spot-on reply to it last week.
Quote Reply
Re: People are losing their minds like it’s Y2K... [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
Duffy wrote:
What am I missing?

Nothing. You should be getting a heavy dose of it here on the LR. In fact, you wrote a spot-on reply to it last week.

I did? What did I say?

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Old Hickory wrote:
Duffy wrote:
What am I missing?

I did? What did I say?

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6438558#p6438558
Quote Reply
Re: People are losing their minds like it’s Y2K... [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
travelmama wrote:
I stand a greater chance of being hit by a car while cycling ...

This happened to me this past Saturday.
My hope is that you were not injured.

Quote | Reply
I was the on-call Army JAG Officer for New Years Eve 1999. I had to sit through a series of training sessions addressing everything from civil unrest to an invasion, to an accidental nuke launch. I was to provide legal advice to the 2-star general on duty that evening in the event the shit hit the fan. It's probably a very good thing nothing happened that evening ...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply