Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is it me?
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'm just getting old and words that I think everyone knows are falling out of fashion but...I had two students ask me what "augment" meant on a test question?

These are grad students in a health program, so not even undergrads.

Apparently not everyone knows what augment means which I assumed any educated person would know.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it me? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like an odd word for a grad student not to know.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I first read your post I thought "who doesn't know what and argument is?' Reread and realized it was augment. I made this post to augment yours. lol. I would think augment would be a word grad students would know. In a grad school interview I was once accused of prevaricating and I didn't know what the word meant. That was embarrassing.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with slowguy. Any moderately-educated person should know what the word means. I'm also guessing that it was used in context, so they should have (at least) been able to infer its approximate meaning. If they can't accomplish that either, then they very likely shouldn't be in grad school.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: Is it me? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
When I first read your post I thought "who doesn't know what and argument is?' Reread and realized it was augment. I made this post to augment yours. lol. I would think augment would be a word grad students would know. In a grad school interview I was once accused of prevaricating and I didn't know what the word meant. That was embarrassing.

When I went to my interview to get into Physical Therapy School there were several professors interviewing a group of us. The question they asked was something like, "How do you think the changes with the new managed health care were going to affect the PT profession?" I had no idea what they were talking about. I was working at UPS, had Blue Cross/Blue Shield could still go to see any doc for whatever, etc.

I had never even heard of managed healthcare.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it me? [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnman wrote:
I agree with slowguy. Any moderately-educated person should know what the word means. I'm also guessing that it was used in context, so they should have (at least) been able to infer its approximate meaning. If they can't accomplish that either, then they very likely shouldn't be in grad school.

I'm surprised they never picked it up from other context or usage. They never heard of augmented reality? Or breast augmentation?

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a word I think it's reasonable to expect people in post-graduate programs to know.

When I was younger I would have said it's a word anyone with an 8th grade or higher level of education should know, but I've come to recognize how atypical (on the good side) my public school educational experience was - the quality of students and teachers that I thought was pretty normal at the time was in fact much better than I realized.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are any of these your students?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-t2TwLRdgk
Last edited by: Sanuk: Oct 4, 17 8:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not that it should matter truthfully, but are they ESL?

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
musical term.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here you go, how big is your's?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/...ames/vocabulary-quiz

https://www.arealme.com/...bulary-size-test/en/

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it me? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got 3500 10/10 but not fast enough. The synonym for dim almost got me but then I remembered it being used to talk about that time just after the sun goes down.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It means β€œto make your tits bigger”.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That generation is very confused. 'Down' is 'Up' "hey, wanna go with me to the beach".."Yeah I'm down!" Sick is good: "The new Raptor is SICK!" You want to throw in 'augment'? That's just Cray...
Quote Reply
Re: Is it me? [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
That generation is very confused. 'Down' is 'Up' "hey, wanna go with me to the beach".."Yeah I'm down!" Sick is good: "The new Raptor is SICK!" You want to throw in 'augment'? That's just Cray...

I will be sure to get off your lawn, Grampa. :)

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

β€”Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Re: Is it me? [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:

To be fair, "I'm down with that...." dates back to the 60s or before.

Quote Reply
Re: Is it me? [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like fashion - it's all cyclical...Haven't heard Bitchen in a while by my 15 yr old has a playlist that includes Styx, Abba, Journey, Beatles, etc. She asked me if I've ever heard of REO Speedwagon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How often is augment used in twitter and facebook feeds? I would suspect all the time spent on those and games must take away from book reading where you might see augment more often.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it me? [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with you. Most of my vocabulary I learned from books from the temple of learning the local public library.

Quote Reply
Re: Is it me? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

My result on that second one was expleefious; so much so that I'm skeptical of their methodology and statoonery:

Your English Vocabulary Size is:
β˜…β˜…β˜… Top 0.01%HighLow
β˜…β˜…β˜… Top 0.01%
You are Shakespeare! You can even create new words that will expand the English dictionary.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it me? [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:

My result on that second one was expleefious; so much so that I'm skeptical of their methodology and statoonery:

β˜…β˜…β˜… Top 0.01%
You are Shakespeare! You can even create new words that will expand the English dictionary.

These quizzes seem to illustrate ego and lack of statistics understanding on Facebook at least. Sharing results should come with a dunce cap for your profile.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it me? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
eb wrote:

β˜…β˜…β˜… Top 0.01%

These quizzes seem to illustrate ego and lack of statistics understanding on Facebook at least. Sharing results should come with a dunce cap for your profile.

But, but, I am Shakespeare! Said they so! Way with words, have I.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Maybe I'm just getting old and words that I think everyone knows are falling out of fashion but...I had two students ask me what "augment" meant on a test question?

These are grad students in a health program, so not even undergrads.

Apparently not everyone knows what augment means which I assumed any educated person would know.

Somewhat odd given how much people are talking about augmented reality in the health field.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it me? [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be fair, "I'm down with that...." dates back to the 60s or before.

---

Even the grad school kids should recognize it in lyric form:

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply