Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lake Pontchartrain Water Temperature
Quote | Reply
Anyone have a good link for the lake temperature? From what I can tell it’s about 82F right now. I’m hoping it drops because I swam in 82F pool water today and it sucked. I’m competing in New Orleans 70.3 on October 22nd.
Last edited by: mwanner1: Oct 4, 17 9:21
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Ponchartrain Water Temperature [mwanner1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wondering the same thing myself. Think the date will be a gamble for temps. Easily could be lows in the 50's to start climbing to the 70s later in the day. But could also have mins in the 70s with dew points at around 70, heating uo to 90 for a high and a lake still warm from the days before.

I'd imagine cool fronts will start soon and bring temps down into the 70s to make it wetsuit legal, but would not be surprised if they don't. At least on that particular weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Ponchartrain Water Temperature [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like it's going to cool down by the middle of next week. There will be eight days with lows from 63F to 69F. I'm thinking that will drop the lake temperature by 3-5F. It will likely be right on the fringe of being wetsuit legal.

KG6 wrote:
Wondering the same thing myself. Think the date will be a gamble for temps. Easily could be lows in the 50's to start climbing to the 70s later in the day. But could also have mins in the 70s with dew points at around 70, heating uo to 90 for a high and a lake still warm from the days before.

I'd imagine cool fronts will start soon and bring temps down into the 70s to make it wetsuit legal, but would not be surprised if they don't. At least on that particular weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Ponchartrain Water Temperature [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like I found the NOAA site data. It's measuring at 78.6F today (October 4th). Here is the link:

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/...ge.php?station=nwcl1
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Pontchartrain Water Temperature [mwanner1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Count on suit, I have mine ready. Another hurricane hitting this weekend, will pull in cold from the north, and we'll be at 75.
Also that harbor is nasty, I really don't like wetsuits but I'm happy to cover up in there!

NO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Slidell, LA which is right outside New Orleans on the Northshore of the Lake. Went out for a swim yesterday and it was about 78 degrees, but just a heads up, the lake is high and the water was salty. If you can swim in a wetsuit, I would because the harbor is gross. If my 70.3 in Mississippi is cancelled this weekend, I'll be out there with y'all.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Pontchartrain Water Temperature [Triteacher86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alabama Viking wrote:
Also that harbor is nasty, I really don't like wetsuits but I'm happy to cover up in there!
Triteacher86 wrote:
If you can swim in a wetsuit, I would because the harbor is gross.
Haha, yep. The water tasted and smelled like boat fuel last year. Maybe the RD will have a new category: Hazmat-legal swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are hourly temps:

https://www.wunderground.com/MAR/buoy/NWCL1.html

http://rivergages.mvr.usace.army.mil/...25&fid=&dt=S

The harbor's not so bad. You can smell diesel from the boats like any motorboat harbor.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply