Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How has technology affected others' training and life?
Quote | Reply
How has technology affected others' training and life?

Devices have become so much more than just GPS monitors and are capable of collecting tremendous amounts of data about more than just training/activities but about your all day life. I was playing around with some new features on my Garmin 935 this week and started thinking that this technology has come such a long way that is not only helping me become a better athlete but is making me more aware of lifestyle characteristics that are improving my overall health and wellness. My writing will be completely Garmin biased because that is the only experience I have, but I would love to hear about others' experience with Garmin, or if there are other companies making comparable devices. I know Fitbit makes products that I have recommended to specific people (read below about babysitting problems) so that they don't get into Garmin Connect and see what I'm actually doing when they are babysitting for me.

There are so many data points available for activities that it is almost too much at times to keep track of it all and I feel that most of it has become like background noise that I block out and ignore. However, I have been using Training Status, Training Load, Estimated VO2max, Estimated Lactate Threshold pace, Estimated FTP as main points of focus in my training. I think that although it may not be as accurate as going to a lab for testing that it is probably close enough to actual values and that as long as there are no major changes to the software that it should stay consistent in how it measures it on me.

Specific features that have improved my overall health, wellness and convenience include all of the smart features (text, call, music control, weather, workout summaries, Garmin Connect), the sleep tracking, Daily stress, and relaxation timer. I think that it's unbelievable that new features like Daily stress are being tracked through Heart Rate Variability (HRV) and that this will potentially lead to many new future uses that can potentially save lives through detecting abnormal variations in HRV.

The one drawback that I have with technology is that I have convinced a lot of people in my life to get a Garmin device and join Garmin Connect, which makes it very awkward when I need a babysitter. I used to tell people that I had to work so that I can get in a workout, now they see that they came to babysit and I somehow got in an hour on the treadmill!

I think that it is very exciting to think of where this technology will evolve to and how it will integrate into our everyday lives to make us healthier and better athletes.
Quote Reply
Re: How has technology affected others' training and life? [dbikelink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting post and I definitely agree that technology plays an important part of my training and life.

I definitely don't use all the features and graphs but I do glance at them once in a while.

I like the idea of tracking my all day heart rate, but then I am torn between wearing my automatic watch vs. garmin. My solution is to wear both, and then use the Garmin when working out.

The projected running race times on the Forerunner has never been accurate. I cannot run a 1:10 half marathon (yet).

The feature I use the most is the Garmin and Strava live tracking for both running and cycling so that (selected) friends and family are notified whenever I go out.

Ultimately, I do not think that the 'fancier' data points like daily stress, training status and training load have affected that way I approach or execute my workouts since all of my training data is ported over to WKO4.

website/blog | Instagram
Quote Reply