Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **New** Diamondback io with vortex generators [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
I'm very confused as to why they went with a round seat post. They could have just used the seat post from the Serios (uci legal)

I don't think UCI-legality is a concern...based on the chin spoiler and the seat stay-seat tube junction location.

I like how they compare it aerodynamically to the Podium disc model (LOL)...at least they're reporting in CdA though ;-)

Congrats Diamondback, you've made a "super aero" back that's the not as low of drag as a custom steel bike (using "off the shelf" tubing) WITH a bottle on the downtube :-/

That's interesting. I didn't know you could take any wind tunnel graph and directly compare it to any other wind tunnel graph like that.

Well...we just learned in the "IO Ask Me Anything" thread that the plot above is with the fixture drag REMOVED, unlike the lower plot of the Stinner and Venge Vias. IIRC, fixture drag is ~0.01m^2 CdA at LSWT. Makes the IO look even worse.

We also learned the test wheel tire setup was 28c Conti GP4KS2s on Hed Jet6 Plus wheels...not helping the drag plots...heck, those tires must've measure >33mm on those wheels. It probably wouldn't even be UCI Cyclocross legal with tires that wide ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: **New** Diamondback io with vortex generators [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pyrahna wrote:
Toby wrote:
Jason N wrote:
littlefoot wrote:

I was wondering why a roadie hasn't been designed with flat storage kit.

Probably because three pockets and a saddle bag are much cheaper, easier to use, and more flexible for the rider to utilize or not based on need.

It's more comfortable to not have all that crap in your back pockets, and how often are you going to want the "flexibility" of not bringing along a flat kit, especially since nothing is stopping you from emptying the storage spot? And how expensive can it be compared to any number of other frame innovations? Not to mention it's rather precious to draw the "expense" line right here.

What discomfort are you referring to? I normally carry my cell phone and a Silca Ti-Rachet in 2 of my back pockets, and a pretty extensive flat kit/spare parts in my saddle bag and forget it's there unless I need it. The only thing I'm not carrying that I could make an argument for is a chain breaker.

I like the fact that I can switch to Crit race mode with just taking a saddle bag and the rear light off and not put stuff in my pockets. We have wheel pits or neutral support for mechanicals. Not much point in bringing that stuff with you.

I also like the fact that I can switch my saddle bag between bikes and I'm good to go.

That's why roadies aren't huge on having integrated storage on the bike....because we have come up with other solutions that work as well or better in our clothing and other attachments. And we have N+1 bikes and don't really want a flat kit for each bike. I get why long course Tri geeks like the integrated storage....there is a different set of circumstances...primarily you don't want to swim or run with tools/tube/whatever in your back pocket.

It is less comfortable for me to have a flat kit (or bottles, frankly) hanging out in my jersey pockets. I can feel them just sitting there, and I can feel them swinging, even slightly, when I move. Maybe I'm in the minority, and I'm sure (especially judging from the number of flippant posts of pictures of jersey pockets) that I'll be told I'm wrong, but empty jerseys are much more comfortable.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: **New** Diamondback io with vortex generators [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
It is less comfortable for me to have a flat kit (or bottles, frankly) hanging out in my jersey pockets. I can feel them just sitting there, and I can feel them swinging, even slightly, when I move. Maybe I'm in the minority, and I'm sure (especially judging from the number of flippant posts of pictures of jersey pockets) that I'll be told I'm wrong, but empty jerseys are much more comfortable.

Rock on with what feels comfortable to you. At one time I went completely away from any on bike storage and just had a couple of pouches that I would drop in my pockets and a taped up tube in a different one. I've moved away from that because it was too much...and I found a saddle bag that didn't offend me aesthetically/functionally. One thing I've noticed is that the stuff in my back pockets are a lot less noticeable with my newer, tighter jerseys. Once the jerseys/pockets get stretched out is when I start noticing the stuff in the pockets and that stuff swaying.
Quote Reply
Re: **New** Diamondback io with vortex generators [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you think would be a more comfortable the steel bike with 23's or the IO with 28mm?

Because the real reason I need a vortex generating aero bike is because my steel bike is just too harsh a ride!
Quote Reply

Prev Next