Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: CX bike upgrade? Does this make sense? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
jeremyb wrote:
Ugh dont listen to these folks.

Your bike is fine as is, no disc upgrade. But upgrading to a disc front is fine if you want to.

Dont buy a new bike.

^^^This

+1

The ad-copy noise in this thread is deafening ("The crappiest disk brake is still waaaaay better than the best Canti brake on its best day." Yikes!) Tune it out and ride your bike.
Quote Reply
Re: CX bike upgrade? Does this make sense? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
jeremyb wrote:
Ugh dont listen to these folks.

Your bike is fine as is, no disc upgrade. But upgrading to a disc front is fine if you want to.

Dont buy a new bike.

^^^This

Tom Pidcock won the junior worlds this year on Cantilever brakes in the snow and mud so they're still relevant. If you want disks then go for it and I'd echo the points above about getting a new bike for racing and keep your current one for commuting etc. Do you have a crew for CX races and swap bikes? You could get a new one and use it alongside your existing bike and swap between the two in races.
Last edited by: Ian A: Oct 4, 17 14:46
Quote Reply
Re: CX bike upgrade? Does this make sense? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get a new bike. I had an oldish (2011?) Focus Mares AL w cantis and Ritchey carbon tubular wheels. I bought a TCX Advanced w di2 and discs earlier this year...holy shit. So much better. Sooooooo much better. Braking. Shifting. Power transfer. I’m even digging the tubeless setup- Schwalbe X-ones (29F, 30R). Love it. CX is my primary focus- did my first race of the season last night and so far so good. Borrowed a buddy’s TCX last season for 4 races and knew I wanted one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought a very nice carbon non-disc used cross bike....and yes I got it what I consider a steal.

Great time to be in the market.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
I have a 7-8 year CX bike I have built up over time with a decent nice kit (Thompson post. Chris King BB and Headset, Rival Carbon cranks, Avid Ultimate Cantis).

It seems like almost everyone is switching over to disk brakes, so it seems like it is time. Without getting a new frame I can only convert to disk brakes on the front (requires a new fork), but since most stopping power is from front brake anyway, this seems fine. My questions?

1. Any real issue with running a front disk and rear canti break setup?

2. It is going to be $300-$400 for a fork, $125 for front brake and rotor and then I need a new wheel ($200-$400), so I am in for almost a grand. I like the rest of the bike, it would cost twice as much to replace, but is the upgrade cost so much I should just buy a new bike?

3. The head tube is not tapered. The only disk brake fork without tapered steerer tube is a Ritchey, which is not available for thru axle. Would this be a reason to just go for the new bike, as I want to go fully forward compatible with any likely mass market configuration changes and I can't get a fork for this bike that can support a front thru axle (I have only looked at ENVE and Ritchey aftermarket CX forks.). It seems like thru axle is where all CX/gravel bikes are going.

4. The frame is a Soma double cross which only cost like $350 (actually same price as the Ritchey WCS fork on the bike now), another option would be another cheap frame and just do the full conversion (tapered steerer, rear disk brakes). Current frame takes a real headset (CK) and a threaded BB (also CK) and I personally think all of this PF stuff is garbage, likewise I think integrated headsets are mostly garbage, hence part of my reluctance to just a get a new bike. So bonus question, explain to me where I am wrong about integrated HS and this PF BBs.

Ok, granted, I've only been racing cross for about two months now. . .but I don't understand why you'd bother with the front brake. Seems like I'm laying into my rear brake a ton more than my front on a cross course and trying not to touch either of my brakes as much as a dare to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see only two upgrade paths that make sense:
1) buy a new bike;
2) put a mini-V on the front of your Soma.

Putting more than say fifty bucks into your current bike is a waste of money. Better to buy a new bike at that point and use the Soma as a rain bike or commuter.
Quote Reply
Re: CX bike upgrade? Does this make sense? [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
Better to buy a new bike at that point and use the Soma as a rain bike or commuter.
But if the Soma is a rain bike, he'll want the front disc...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the others that have said to buy a new bike. You're talking about spending $1k to upgrade an 8 year old bike. You can buy a brand new entry-level bike for under $1,500 (even less if you can find a leftover 2017 model now that the 2018s are coming out) and it will be better than your current one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am going to come at this a little different. Maybe keep the good components and get a good used canti frame with better handling than the Soma. If you are racing, better geometry will benefit you way more than brakes.

Brakes in cross racing are for "speed regulation" so you don't really need super powerful stoppers...some posters have already said this part. If you are dead set on having a truly do all bike that you plan on taking on steep off road descents, by all means go get something with disks.

Rich
Quote Reply
Re: CX bike upgrade? Does this make sense? [rrutis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Listen to the sensible people suggesting Mini-V brakes.

They're a great little upgrade for minimal outlay. Those KoolStop pads are excellent too in the wet.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I once had the exactly same idea 6 months ago only to find why I should discard this plan.

Front disc / rear canti option looks great.
But there are some problems.

1. (When you are considering hydraulic disc brake)
There are so many morphological differences btw Hydr levers and normal mechanical levers. So hydro-mech combo must feel akward when you're on your bike or not.

2. Decent carbon disc forks are quite expensive.
(I strongly recommend thru-axle option) Carbon forks for disc brake option from famous carbon part manufacturers are not cheap at all!
They are normally 500~700$. However some disc framesets on ebay are around 1000$. It is much more rational to change whole things with one shot.

Stay home, stay healthy.
Quote Reply

Prev Next