Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trainerroad Podcast Stoops to an All Time Low
Quote | Reply
:)

Sorry if this has been posted here already, but our very own slowman was interviewed on the most recent TrainerRoad podcast in case you missed it (linked below, or you can find it on itunes, or wherever else you listen to podcasts).

https://soundcloud.com/...l-guest-dan-empfield

I like their podcasts and I enjoyed this interview... Thanks Dan!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad Podcast Stoops to an All Time Low [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TennesseeJed wrote:
:)

Sorry if this has been posted here already, but our very own slowman was interviewed on the most recent TrainerRoad podcast in case you missed it (linked below, or you can find it on itunes, or wherever else you listen to podcasts).

https://soundcloud.com/...l-guest-dan-empfield

I like their podcasts and I enjoyed this interview... Thanks Dan!

can you take a wrong turn while on a stationary trainer? clearly trainerroad did ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad Podcast Stoops to an All Time Low [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I enjoyed the podcast too... until you started diagnosing neck pain. As a physical therapist, I can say that cervical stenosis is not likely the cause of bike related neck pain. As well, the pain is certainly treatable with something other than surgery (think PT). Spinal stenosis is just a degenerative condition. Degeneration is a product of aging and does not equal pain. In fact, Medical literature quite clearly shows diagnostic imaging poorly correlates with pain. One can have a bad X-ray or MRI and have no pain, and vice-versa.

While you are at a greater risk of neck pain due to the forward head position, you should still expect to be able to ride without pain. And when it comes on mid-ride, you should have techniques to self reduce your pain.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad Podcast Stoops to an All Time Low [Calvinbal6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calvinbal6 wrote:
I enjoyed the podcast too... until you started diagnosing neck pain. As a physical therapist, I can say that cervical stenosis is not likely the cause of bike related neck pain. As well, the pain is certainly treatable with something other than surgery (think PT). Spinal stenosis is just a degenerative condition. Degeneration is a product of aging and does not equal pain. In fact, Medical literature quite clearly shows diagnostic imaging poorly correlates with pain. One can have a bad X-ray or MRI and have no pain, and vice-versa.

While you are at a greater risk of neck pain due to the forward head position, you should still expect to be able to ride without pain. And when it comes on mid-ride, you should have techniques to self reduce your pain.

What can I do to self reduce pain mid-ride?

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad Podcast Stoops to an All Time Low [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:

Pull over and head to the coffee shop.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad Podcast Stoops to an All Time Low [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or pub :)

refthimos wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:

Pull over and head to the coffee shop.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad Podcast Stoops to an All Time Low [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stop riding
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad Podcast Stoops to an All Time Low [Calvinbal6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd agree with that. If you are over 50 you likely have a prolapse somewhere. Bike owner told me once that every spring people came to him after taking a few rides outside and complaining of neck pain wondering if there position was doing etc. He says its riding on the trainer all winter with your head down and they switching to having to hold it up.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate,
Love TR and the podcast. Thanks.
But I do have one favor to ask. I know you guys live to talk about your races and nose operations and stuff but sometimes those go on for 20-30 minutes. Some people may enjoy them but I don’t and probably many others as well. Can you please tell us in the show notes when you guys start answering questions so I can go to that time of the podcast? PLEEEEEEEASE????
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad Podcast Stoops to an All Time Low [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
Nate,
Love TR and the podcast. Thanks.
But I do have one favor to ask. I know you guys live to talk about your races and nose operations and stuff but sometimes those go on for 20-30 minutes. Some people may enjoy them but I don’t and probably many others as well. Can you please tell us in the show notes when you guys start answering questions so I can go to that time of the podcast? PLEEEEEEEASE????

Haha, noted. We've done a few times where we split them up into separate episodes. We just recorded Levi's Gran Fondo episode today and we didn't split it in two :(.

What I really want to share are the takeaways that we learned from the race and put them into something concise. Like at Cross Vegas Keegan Swenson had such close NP vs AP.

I just messaged the other guys about working on that more.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW i do the opposite and listen just for all the race stuff -- training questions are OK, but I enjoy the stories, prep, race execution, and of course the humor when nate gets beaten by coach
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad Podcast Stoops to an All Time Low [randomtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
randomtriguy wrote:
FWIW i do the opposite and listen just for all the race stuff -- training questions are OK, but I enjoy the stories, prep, race execution, and of course the humor when nate gets beaten by coach

You guys are messing with our heads! I'm not sure what the best path forward is...maybe individual episodes? One for race stuff and one for training questions?

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can understand both sides.

As a guy in 1.5 hours of traffic a day, i get in a lot of podcasts.

What annoys the crap out of me is endless ads at the beginning and I just want the host to get to it.

So I guess I can understand if someone just wants training info, they want you to get to it. You're not ads though, but you know what i mean.

The reason why I enjoy your podcast so much is that its not just training. As a listener I can connect to you guys from a life, training, business, fitness point of view. I feel like i could show up in reno, go out for a ride then a beer with you guys and have a great time. That is major entertainment value - i cant wait to hear recaps from races like when you went up here to BC for singletrack six.

If all i heard was how sweet spot training works, i would have tuned out during the first year.

Maybe a clear break and note in the description for when you switch to answering questions? Makes it easy for people to skip the beginning if they want to.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad Podcast Stoops to an All Time Low [randomtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
randomtriguy wrote:

What annoys the crap out of me is endless ads at the beginning and I just want the host to get to it.

So I guess I can understand if someone just wants training info, they want you to get to it. You're not ads though, but you know what i mean.

The reason why I enjoy your podcast so much is that its not just training. As a listener I can connect to you guys from a life, training, business, fitness point of view. I feel like i could show up in reno, go out for a ride then a beer with you guys and have a great time. That is major entertainment value - i cant wait to hear recaps from races like when you went up here to BC for singletrack six.

If all i heard was how sweet spot training works, i would have tuned out during the first year.

Maybe a clear break and note in the description for when you switch to answering questions? Makes it easy for people to skip the beginning if they want to.

Great feedback, thanks. And yes if you come to Reno we will ride and have a beer (Jonathan will have a sparkling water).

I like the idea of putting in something in the notes. Jonathan already goes over the podcast so it wouldn't be hard to do.

We don't have ads on the podcast, can you be more specific? I think the only thing we have coming up that we keep mentioning is the Ralpha live podcast with Matt Fitzgerald.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wasnt saying your podcast has ads, not at all -- i mean MOST podcasts start with ads and i immediately want to skip.

You're good
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
with all that covered... where's our weekly fix? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
randomtriguy wrote:

I also spend way too much in the car and agree with this statement completely. Hearing about how you all approach races is very interesting to me and has given me some good ideas.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad Podcast Stoops to an All Time Low [ko21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

+1

A great way to make my long commutes more fun & interesting. This is my favourite podcast.

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad Podcast Stoops to an All Time Low [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for me too. I love hearing the race preview and reviews in addition to the training Q&As.

My only request would be - and you did say on a podcast yourselves that a large number, if not the majority of podcast listeners live outside the US - please try to remember to give us the equivalent metric measurements. For example, I really enjoyed listening to Jonathan's Everesting recap, but all the talk of feet got confusing! (Yes, I can do the maths in my head, but I tend to do my podcast listening while running [sorry, not cycling!] when I'm mentally switched off!)

Love it though, and look forward to every episode!

-----
http://www.howesgreg.com
Quote Reply