Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Sean H wrote:
Starting weight (Oct 1): 172.5 lbs
Current weight (Oct 3): 171.2
Race weight: 160 lbs
Race Date: 4/28/2017 (206 days)

170.6 this morning (10/9).

Not doing anything too drastic. Just trying to make better decisions to avoid shit/junk as much as possible. I'm still eating when hungry.

167.9 this morning (10/19). It's happening.
Quote Reply
Re: October Race Weight Challenge [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Not doing anything too drastic. Just trying to make better decisions to avoid shit/junk as much as possible. I'm still eating when hungry."

Same here. More salads, less McDonalds...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: October Race Weight Challenge [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SLOgoing wrote:
SLOgoing wrote:

Starting Weight: 166.5*
Current Weight: 166.5*
Race Weight: 141
Delta: 25.5*
Race Date: 5/1/2018 (211 days)
Progress: 0 lbs *

Starting Weight: 166.5
Current Weight: 164.0
Delta: 23
Race Date: 5/1/2018 (205 days)
Progress: 2.5 lbs

Current Weight: 166.0
Delta: 25
Race Date: 5/1/2018 (194 days)
Progress: 0.5 lbs

I have fallen off the wagon. I got one weigh-in between two travel trips and it wasn't as awful as I thought. This week's travel is going to smack me down. Damnit. Oh well. At least I've been getting a solid workout in each day. Fortunately, this is probably the last week-long travel of the year so I can make a meaningful dent in my delta.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: October Race Weight Challenge [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Current Weight: 207.6
Weekly Loss: 1

I'll take that and am quite surprised. I spectated IMLou and drank all the beer... as in 4th St Live may have run out!

I weighed in for our team challenge Tuesday afternoon and was 216.4... hahahahaha
Quote Reply
Re: October Race Weight Challenge [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NUFCrichard wrote:
Starting Weight: 82.5kg (18 Sept 2017)
Current Weight: 80kg
Race Weight: not sure, haven't been under 76kg, but less would be better
Race Date: 08 April 2018 Paris Marathon
Progress: -2.5kg

I raced Roth this year and was generally around 76.5-77kg most of the time. After Roth I trained less and ate more so gained weight. I did a 10k race on the 18th September and told one of the guys that I am not really training so much, he pointed to my belly and said that he could see that! I weighed myself the day after and was 82.5kg. I started to watch what I eat again after that. I was on holiday/vacation for 8 days at the end of September, which obviously isn't great for a diet. For the last week and a half I have started trying the 16:8 diet, so basically I skip breakfast. I run after work anyway, so should have some fuel from lunch and recover with dinner.

I
'd like to get back down to below 78kg pretty soon, so that losing weight isn't a big issue when my marathon training realling kicks off in the new year.

Starting Weight: 82.5kg (18 Sept 2017)
Current Weight: 79.4kg
Race Weight: aiming for 75kg
Race Date: 08 April 2018 Paris Marathon
Progress: -3.1kg

Still doing the 16:8 thing and all is going fine. I don't feel like I am dieting strictly, but the weight is coming off nicely.
I was 8 seconds off a new 10k PB/PR 8 days ago, looking forward to smashing that time next time out when I am a bit lighter!

Quote Reply
Re: October Race Weight Challenge [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Current weight: 209.4
Weekly Gain: 1.8 pounds

That's a little discouraging. I was 206.4 heading into the weekend on Friday and somehow managed to put on 3 pounds, despite a hard mountain bike race Saturday and a 50 mile gravel ride on Sunday. I don't track calories but am confident that I took in less than I burned over the weekend. My best guess is that I've been eating relatively low carb (mainly veggies, a little fruit) and I added some carbs back in this weekend so it's some sort of water weight that wasn't there the week before. I know my belly definitely looks bloated in the mirror. My body is weird.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SLOgoing wrote:
SLOgoing wrote:
SLOgoing wrote:

Starting Weight: 166.5*
Current Weight: 166.5*
Delta: 25.5*
Race Date: 5/1/2018 (211 days)
Progress: 0 lbs *

Current Weight: 164.0
Delta: 23
Race Date: 5/1/2018 (205 days)
Progress: 2.5 lbs

Current Weight: 166.0
Delta: 25
Race Date: 5/1/2018 (194 days)
Progress: 0.5 lbs

Current Weight: 169.6
Delta: 28.6
Race Date: 5/1/2018 (190 days)
Progress: 3.1 lbs WRONG WAY!

Well, darn. Travel week killed me. Only 4 hours of training, way too many culinary excursions, and a great bartender made 3.6 pounds of extra weight. Oh well. Aiming to get back to starting weight by the end of the month...

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Re: October Race Weight Challenge [Ian A] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Starting weight (Oct 10) - 89.2kg/196.6 pounds
Current weight (Oct 24) - 87.4kg/192.7 pounds
Race Weight - 72kg/158.7 pounds
Race Date - 23/05/18
Progress - 1.8kg/3.9 pounds

Was on a family holiday for most of this week with no training until after we got back. Watched what I ate as much as I could on holiday so happy not to go up in weight this week.
Last edited by: Ian A: Oct 24, 17 6:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This has gone on too far. I'm tired of succumbing to late night peanut butter binges. I came home in the middle of the day and just happened to step on the scale after a big salad for lunch... (It's salad, so can't be bad, right?).

180 lbs.

I was 175 lbs this morning, pre-workout.

I should be 170 for my race in 3 weeks, but I'm failing at making any headway.

Let's see how close I can get.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: October Race Weight Challenge [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One time I weighted myself as soon as I woke up and then weighed everything I consumed up until lunch and it was around 7 pounds! Most of the weight was my coffee (black) and water. Oddly enough, I had gained 7 pounds from wake up to lunch. One gallon of water weighs 8.36 pounds.

I don't know when this weight loss thing happens, but it seems to be while I sleep or something. I'm always skinnier in the morning. After I pee. So that is the only time I hop on the scale. However, I once heard that the fancy scales that tell you body fat % are more accurate before bed? Anyway, I'm just interested in plain old pounds.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one of those withings scales that sync wirelessly—it measures BF%, water %, fat mass, heart rate, "pulse wave velocity"... It is an amazing tool if I actually was willing to use it as such and not a means to find personal shortcomings. lol

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: October Race Weight Challenge [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Starting Weight: 139.2 [10/5]
Current Weight: 138.2 [10/21]
Race Weight: 134, maybe?
Race Date: Undetermined, but I'm thinking Love Run HM [3/25/2018]
Progress: -1.0

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Oct 27, 17 8:55
Quote Reply
Re: October Race Weight Challenge [Matt_Stimpson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matt_Stimpson wrote:

Starting Weight: 178.6 lbs 09/28/2017
Weight: 176.4 lbs 10/19/2017
Race Weight: 155 lbs
Delta: 23.6 lbs
Race Date: 04/07/2018
Progress: 2.2 lbs

Starting Weight: 178.6 lbs 09/28/2017
Weight: 175.2 lbs 10/26/2017
Race Weight: 155 lbs
Delta: 23.6 lbs
Race Date: 04/07/2018
Progress: 3.4 lbs
Quote Reply
Re: October Race Weight Challenge [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Starting weight (Oct 3): 170.6 lbs
Current weight (Oct 3): 170.6
Race weight: 150 lbs

Currently at my typical off-season weight. 13.1% body fat.

Starting weight (Oct 3): 170.6 lbs
Current weight (Oct 26): 166.8
Race weight: 150 lbs

Weight Loss: 3.8 lbs

I'm trying to continue to optimize my workouts without any performance hit. I've cut enough times to know what kind of deficit I can run with minimal muscle/performance loss. 1.5 lbs a week is the sweet spot for me. Any more and performance degrades when going on 160 lbs so I will do a slow crawl back to race weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know I need to drop some weight (somehow still dragging a bit of a daddy tummy into my spandex after training for two 70.3s this year), but don't really know where to set my target weight. Before I start blindly scouring the inter webs for an answer, and since this seems like the right crowd to ask - what's the best way/source to estimate my ideal race weight? I know there are books and such out there, but anyone have thoughts on which are the best?
Quote Reply
Re: October Race Weight Challenge [NOLAgrouper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe this is the calculator that was getting batted around about the time this thread started.

http://racingweight.com/rwe/index.html#/

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How I determined racing weight/composition:

The proper way to determine racing weight and composition is to test it functionally. You can estimate what it should be (you should do this to get a ballpark figure anyway and I show how I did it for me below), but the only way really to know your optimal weight & composition is to see how you perform. As you drop weight, your performance should increase to a point. Losing further weight will make your performance decrease. That inflection point is your racing weight. That is likely to change with age, tho. I don’t know how easy it is for most age-groupers to generate enough data points to have a reliable picture of optimal weight, however. But I think estimating it will get you most of the way there. Estimating it along with fat percentage will be even better.

There’s the slowman method. It’s on a thread somewhere around here, but basically you are at racing weight when your friends and family stage an intervention.

Looking around the interwebs I found the following info:

http://www.ironman.com/...e.aspx#axzz4h3L8KrtD
Optimal BMI is 21. BMI = kg/m height^2. For me at 5’9” = 1.75 m, a BMI of 21 = 64.5 kg = 142.2 lbs.
This link also has a chart with body fat percentages by age. For me, 40-49 male, I’d like to shoot for well-above average which is 10 – 13.7%. Elites are <10%. At 142 lbs, 13.7% is 18.5 fat lbs. I picked 13.7 because it’s the higher end and given my history and body type it would be difficult enough to reach that.

http://www.triathlete.com/...getting-leaner_81493
This site says optimal body fat % is between 6-15% (which largely agrees with the previous site).

https://www.alancouzens.com/blog/height_weight.html
This link has a regression between height and weight for Kona pro’s. A select data set, of course, but still useful. Given my height and using the upper confidence limits of the regression, I’d be at approx. 154 lbs.

http://www.racingweight.com/rwe/index.html#/
This is just a straight calculator of racing weight. I don’t know the metrics behind it. According to this site my ideal race weight is 165 pounds & 12.7% boy fat (21 fat lbs).

So what did I do? Picked the middle one. If I get to 155 and have ca. 13% body fat I’ll be happy. When I get there I’ll see how I feel and if I think I should lose more weight and chase 145 or not. I’m guessing not. But maybe I’ll still want to lower my body fat %.

My current weight is 183.6 lbs and body fat is 25.5% (according to a scale, so it’s not the most accurate measurement). So that’s 136.78 lean and 46.82 fat lbs. If I were to get to 155 lbs keeping all of my lean mass, that would be 137 lean and 18 fat lbs or 11.6% body fat. That would be the best I could hope for, I think. I doubt I’ll be able to keep all of the muscle, but I’ll try. Going up to 13% body fat at 155 total lbs is 134.8 lean and 20.2 fat pounds. So that would be a loss of 2 lean pounds and 26 fat pounds. Probably still a stretch, but we’ll see as I get closer.

As I get closer I will try to keep good records of my training to watch out for loss of power on the swim, bike or run. But with all of the other noise in the system like fatigue and other factors, I don’t know if I will be able to tease out the finer details.

Hope that helps.
Quote Reply
Re: October Race Weight Challenge [michaer27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Very helpful. I'm in roughly the same boat - 38 y/o, 5'10", 183 lbs and the http://www.racingweight.com site estimated my race weight at 151 lbs. I was pretty slim in high school and still weighed ~170 lbs, so I don't know how I'll get down below 160 lbs. I have 6 months of off-season work (but also two very delicious holidays and football season) between now and my A race, so maybe there's a chance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you guys deal with (water) weight fluctuations?

2 days ago I weighed 79.5kg, then yesterday I was 79.1kg and today 78.1kg! I basically can't say what my normal weight would be at the moment.

I think 78.1kg is a bit glycogen depleted as I have been having some bad head rushes when standing up quickly in the last day. My weight often goes up after a hard session, like my muscles hang on to water. I guess it doesn't matter too much as long as the trend is downwards, but I do like to be have a defined weight so at least I know if I reach my goal!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Late to start, so have some ground to make up. Great idea for a challenge. Lets keep this going!

Starting Weight Oct 28 - 178.8lbs
Current Weight Oct 28 -178.8lbs
Race Weight 153
Race Date - March 18 2018
Progress - 0.0lbs

Plan is to cut out bread, cheese, alcohol and don't eat past 7pm(these are my biggest problems)
Get to bed early to ensure more rest. Get up early to ensure the workout get in before life gets busy!
Incorporate more core work and stretching.
Consistency!
Quote Reply
Re: October Race Weight Challenge [Bruizer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bruizer wrote:
Bruizer wrote:
Starting Weight: 211.0 lbs 10/2/2017
Current Weight: 207.8 lbs 10/3/2017
Race Weight: 185 lbs
Race Date: 4/1/2018
Progress: 3.2 lbs

Current Weight: 200.1 lbs 10/10/2017
Race Weight: 180 lbs
Progress: 10.9 lbs

I've been hitting it hard, limiting my calories to 1700 per day, still riding 4 days a week, no alcohol, no processed food carbs, and getting lots of sleep. I think the initial 5 or 7 lbs lost was all water weight, but I am noticing my clothes are a little looser. I revised my race weight to 180 lbs because I think it's achievable, though I expect the weight loss progress will plateau soon. It helps immensely that my wife and I are doing this together since she prepares most of the food. Our plan is to continue to hit it hard until Thanksgiving and regroup after that. Good luck to you all!

Current Weight: 196.8 lbs 10/28/2017
Race Weight: 180 lbs
Progress: 14.2 lbs

The pounds are coming off a lot slower now. With the holidays coming up, it's going to tough. My wife is down about 6 pounds, so it helps to be doing this together, especially since she's the cook of the family.
Quote Reply

Prev Next