Quote | Reply
so cool! 5.1 mi run 43:29, 1325 yd swim this AM

500 w/u
50 kick
6 x 100 on 1:30
150 swim
25 kick c/d

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
9.1 mi run splits by 3 mi 26:00, 25:50, 25:45
1225 yd swim. Broke one part of my goggle straps... fortunately I keep a spare pair in my bag. Now have excuse to shop!

50 kick
5 x 100 on 1:30
150 on 2:00
25 kick c/d

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yesterday
Was planning sweet spot intervals on the bike but felt like garbage, so bailed 3 min into first interval and did easy 1 hr. Would have been better off sleeping in, wish I could figure out how to know that before getting up.
6.6 recovery pace run

Today
4800 yds
M/S 16x100
1-4: Progress :20 sec rest
5-8: Threshold :15 sec rest
9-12: Recover
13-16: Anaerobic :20 sec rest
Will do 10 mile easy run here in a bit.

Saturday
Bike openers then 5 mile easy run

Sunday
Sprint Tri, first race since April lol
Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Thread [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty happy with my swim this morning:

600 warm up
30x100 @ 1:15 descended to 1:07 and held that for the last 20
200 warm down
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Zenmaster28 wrote:
#weak

At least stick around and do the 50 back with me. :)

Fuck it...

Just signed up for the 1500.

This will probably end badly.

Hold my beer and watch this!! I love it!!

Went 19:32 and a bit, missed my target by 11 secs. Lost not 1, but 2 caps :-(. First one went at the 800 and the second at the 1400. That was a tad distracting :-/

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very nice!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A Dave Salo tribute. Just kicked my ass.

Main Set is done on looonnnggg rest. Take your actual swim time for the first 300, double that time and that becomes your send off interval for the rest of the repeats. So if you swim that 300 in 4:15, your send off is 8:30 for the rest of the set. This will be sufficient to allow for the additional rest of broken swims. The goal for this set is to swim #'s 4-8 at the average pace of repeat #2. With the additional rest of the broken swims, it should get EASIER to hold this pace as the set progresses. Don't push past that pace. Be willing to surprise yourself on #9. Go for it!
LPD = Least Proficient Drill
MPD = Most Proficient Drill
AMRAN = As Much Rest As Needed
BREATHE 2-2-1 = Breathe every 2 arm strokes for 2 stroke cycles, followed by a quick breath to the opposite side after 1 arm stroke.

WARM-UP
700 done as [100 SWIM ALTERNATE 75 EASY-25 HARD / 50 EASY PULL breathe 2-2-1 / 25 KICK HARD] Repeat 4X for 700
REST :30
4 x LPD, AMRAN
4 x MPD, AMRAN
1 x 100 SWIM FAST, (98% EFFORT)
REST 2:00 - 5:00 before beginning:

MAIN SET
9 x 300 SWIM on (Interval #1 TIME x 2)
#'s 1,2,3 - Straight swim, as fast as you can hold
#4 - Broken at the 150 for :10
#5 - Broken at each 100 for :10
#6 - Broken at each 75 for :10
#7 - Broken at each 50 for :10
#8 - Broken at each 25 for :10
#9 Straight and ALL OUT!

COOL DOWN
4 x 100 EASY KICK with BOARD & FINS on :15 REST
300 as 25 EASY CHOICE / 25 KICK on BACK
Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Thread [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
I apologize for not participating much in this thread. October has literally been the culmination of perhaps the most miserable year of my life. This month I closed down our office and gave everyone their termination letters and then gave myself my own and before and after that I have been going nuts investor/venture capitalist meetings to try to get a new startup off the ground. I keep telling myself that everything has to come down before new opportunities can be born, so I am trying to keep a glass half full perspective on life, and the pool has been my saviour.

Dev, I am sorry for the hard times.. good luck with the startup, the VCs are nuts if they don't see how hard you can work..

only swimming the past six weeks, tore a calf muscle and it is not healing, won't even let me ride the bike.
Interestingly swimming 4x a week instead of once, times drop for about 4 weeks then stabilize at a new normal. So to get faster I guess I'll need more than 7-8000 yards/wk..

anyway did 4x400IM scy as 7:14,7:11,7:02,7:03 the last two are my fastest ever. Hm. 6:30 seems a good tough goal for one 400IM..

100scy is down to 1:04 with a push. I need to sneak in sometime when the lifeguards aren't watching so I can use the start blocks and try for sub-1..

First of all congrats on your 400 IM...that is awesome!!! And your times relate to my next workout, the tie into VC's and a meeting with a business partner who is pre seed financing wanting me to join him as co founder in his startup, while I try to get seed financing for mine LOL......so here goes. It is Oct 27th which means it is my 52nd birthday on Friday. As of Kona weekend, I had logged 1000 km for the year in swim (did it on Sunday after Kona....so that was kind of my "finish line"). So as mentioned last bit was quite busy trying to sort out my life.

Friday was meetings with business partners on the sales and engineering side trying to round out a potential team and then my "old CEO" calls a conf call of "ex leaders" to tell us how hard he is working in China and that he's gonna make it and raise money, pay everyone back, clear liabilities, restart work etc etc (where did I hear that promise before). So as you can imagine this conf call is going longer and longer and its starting to cut into the window for my birthday set, which of course needs to be something that is 5200m.

So I finally get to the pool with 1:42 remaining from when I entered to my next meeting (fortunately the office I am using is 2 min away from the pool LOL). OK, the quick math is that 5200 as 13x400m is leaving on 7 minutes if you want to get done in 1:31. While it would be cool to do 13x400m IM on my birthday since I spent the year learning all strokes better I settled on 13x400m with at least 100m inside each 400m as fly and the rest could be whatever I wanted...The fly I could break up as the 25 at the top of each 400, 50m at the top of each 200m or 100m in one shot at the top of each 400m....whatever. Honestly there was not a ton of breast and back....I was on such a tight schedule, that most of the 400's there was zero lengths of each or 1-2 max....never 4....I'll build up to that for next year.

The problem was that this 7 min send of was quite aggressive for me and I literally only had 5-15 seconds to "rest" before heading back out knowing that the total workout would probably end up more like 1:33-1:35 and I would be late for my next meeting, but what the heck you only live once and swimming is all I have and being a few minutes late was not going to be the end of the world.

So I got it done. AnnaS....the last 400m was 4x(50-50) fly-free because on my first 400m when I entered the water, I did not do any fly so i had to catch up 100m worth of fly at the end to make it to 52 lengths of fly in the workout. What was hard was not so much the pull, but actually getting my arms up and over for some of the last fly legs. Total workout was 1:33 total workout time including a 100m "cool down" before doing my fastest change and shower ever and likely breaking every traffic law possible during the short 2 min drive back to the office!

Next year, I guess the set to aim for is 13x400m IM plus 1x100m IM. But I am going to take a half day off work (maybe I am the boss of my own starving startup company by then anyway, let's see) and have a solid 2 hours to do that with appropriate rest and a nice long sauna afterwards.

By the time I got to may birthday party, I was totally fried from marathon biz meetings and only eating half a sandwich and half a salad all day (I did the workout with no nutrition because I got distracted finishing off the aforementioned conf call with ex CEO)....layer on that, 5300m of essentially 25%fly-65%free-10% other and I only revived myself after eating the birthday cake LOL.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
9.1 mi run splits by 3 mi 26:00, 25:50, 25:45
1225 yd swim. Broke one part of my goggle straps... fortunately I keep a spare pair in my bag. Now have excuse to shop!

50 kick
5 x 100 on 1:30
150 on 2:00
25 kick c/d

Rule number 1 of being a good triathlete. You always have extra sets of gear for running and swimming at all locations you can possibly be in....at home, in the office, in your car. When I had biz travel all around the world, I took it a step further and had a set of goggles, jammer shorts and vibrams at the bottom of my briefcase. If I had a window of opportunity and I could find a gym or pool, it meant I could always do a workout. I always wear a Tshirt under my business clothing, so that becomes my workout top and jammers my workout bottom if it is dryland. If it is swimming the Tshirt turns into my towel after swimming. If dryland, I need to get some papertowel to dry off, but most gyms have a towel service. After commando workout squeeze the clothing items and roll tight into a plastic bag at bottom of briefcase....you're golden. I developed this system to use the gym during connections at the Toronto Airport between flights rather than sit around in the airline lounge and get fat. One day I actually did a 30 min run at 4 am in my hotel in San Francisco, then I did a 1:10 run during the connection in Toronto at the gym and then at 11 pm after I got home and everyone was asleep I did the final 20 min on my treadmill at home....Damn right I was getting the 2 hour run in!!! Lots of time to rest in between on flights doing a bit of work on wifi or surfing ST and getting into needless arguements on here from 35 ft up....but at least it is entertaining!
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Anna s: Oct 29, 17 13:01
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Sean H wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Zenmaster28 wrote:
#weak

At least stick around and do the 50 back with me. :)

Fuck it...

Just signed up for the 1500.

This will probably end badly.

Hold my beer and watch this!! I love it!!

Went 19:32 and a bit, missed my target by 11 secs. Lost not 1, but 2 caps :-(. First one went at the 800 and the second at the 1400. That was a tad distracting :-/

Did I see an open turn in there?? Was that due to the cap?

Also you were right about going out too hard. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Thread [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, tried to grab the cap to take it off, but missed. Honestly, the cap was so distracting for the last 1000 that I think that cost me at least 1s per 100.

Splits were (iirc) 1:08 at the 100, 2:24 at the 2, 5:01 at the 4, 9:34 at the 750, 10:14 or so at the 800 . And 19:32!at the finish.

But I wasn't even all that tired after the race. I might swim it again, but next time use a better cap.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Thread [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should probably get in the pool more than once or twice a week too !

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Thread [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By the way, I don't really know when you get to that stage of the arms not wanting to come out and over if it is a lifting thing....seems more like the core and legs don't do their jobs as well so the arms have less momentum exiting (they are bogged down at the end of the stroke due to less assist from the body) and have less momentum to swing around.....or it could just be the they are toast and weighed down with lactate!

Glad your injury is better. I totally hear you on betting body parts injured removing a drying up wetsuit!!! Welcome back to the world of indoor swimming!!!

This is the view at my "home pool"

Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
9k today on the dreadmill at lunchtime. Some new equipment just went into the gym across the street, now I have a box to jump on! Box jumps tomorrow.....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to the pool this morning to do one of my big 2 swim workouts for the week and the damn thing must have been 90+ degrees!! This gym is super cheap so I guess I'm getting what I paid for. This pool is in an un-air-conditioned room and was pretty warm in the summer, but swimmable. I was hoping that once it started cooling off outside the pool temp would as well, and it did. It's been pretty pleasant the last few weeks. Well we got our first real cool snap this weekend so I guess they thought they needed to turn on the heater? Jeez it was hot though. I've complained, we'll see what happens.

In the meantime I did my 6 mile easy run this morning and will drop by another pool I have access to that's less convenient after work and get the workout in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7 mi run 60:25
2125 yd swim

21 x 100 on 1:30
25 kick c/d

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well if you managed that 1500 time on 1-2x/week then you'll have no trouble setting the record if you manage some consistency!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6.7 mi run 60:03, took a lot of effort for that pace... donated blood yesterday :-)
725 yd swim

month total 36,150 yds

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a fun, weird Halloween morning swim. At 6:00 AM, it's very dark with no moon, but also cloudy and drizzling. And wind, not much, but enough.
We debated whether we should just stand there staring at the darkness where the wave sounds are coming from and drink hot coffee or actually brave going out there. We're an adventurous lot and decided to dip in. The four of us prepped, mounted our blinkie lights (set to solid, not flashing) to our goggles and ventured down to the water's edge. The air temp was already cold enough with wind chill and touching the water didn't help, being about 63-64 degrees and wearing no wetsuit. Still couldn't see past ten feet in the dark, we waded in, searching the dark for looming waves to dive under or break through. It's so hard to tell, but once deep enough, you commit and attempt to swim. The chop was furious, breaking into whitecaps. Not only whitecaps, there was some bioluminescence going on, making the whitecaps glow as well as our arms penetrating and pulling through the water.
We agreed to meet at the end of the reef. It was so hard swimming out, not seeing the waves, the chop, the reef, or much else except flashes of natural bioglow. We all ended up some 25 feet apart from each other and searching for each other. Using our blinkies and our standard mating seal call to find each other, we grouped up and discussed our next move. I was already cold and suggested we go back and suck down some hot coffee. Too short a swim for everyone else, but at least I convinced them to not try to venture around the reef as a mistake could be costly. We decided to swim to the invisible buoy... we knew the general direction. I ended up 50 yards inside of the buoy, but I saw that Howard managed to find it and was lighting it up. As I swam towards it, Russ tried to scare me by grabbing my leg. I saw him just before he did and laughed at his attempt. We all managed to regroup at the buoy and discuss the next move. Howard wanted to swim back to the reef, then the buoy again, by which time there should be enough light to actually see it. I was freezing and wanted to swim in, but I agreed to get back to the reef, reevaluate and... well, I said that, but I knew I'd be swimming in after getting to the reef.
I made it out of there safely followed by the other three, and began the hot water bottle drizzle over my head. It's really 10 minutes or so after you get out the the shivers come on and in my case, my hands turn white and fingertips or whole fingers go numb. Nevertheless, I was able to change into warm clothes, hold a cup of coffee without too much spillage and enjoy a most wonderful, colorful sunrise. A great way to begin this spookiest of days!
Just under 1000 yards! LOL

No idea what my monthly total is as I cannot find any kind of roll-up, except yearly, in the lame log here.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Last edited by: HalfSpeed: Oct 31, 17 12:39
Quote Reply
Re: October Fish Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uh, NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!! Y'all crazy! What's wrong with waiting until the sun comes up?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Uh, NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!! Y'all crazy! What's wrong with waiting until the sun comes up?
Umm... work?

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply

Prev Next