Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Full-Auto weapons, Time to Ban? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
justgeorge wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
The acoustics do make it tough to tell but I'm inclined to say it's a crank trigger. There's irregularity at the beginning of each string of fire and the cyclic rate is quite low for an automatic weapon.

I agree. Twitter video in post 55 is why I feel that way

It's impossible to count, but that sounded like way more than 30 shots (which is standard magazine size for those who don't know).

Easily could have had a 40, 45, 60, or 100 round mag. This is why having 10 guns was ridiculous. You can only fire 1 at a time, can have oversized mags, and can reload a mag quite quickly and easily.

I really hope I am posting/posing this topic in the correct thread. When I went thru each of the thread topics in relation to the LV shooting, this one seemed the most appropriate.

As more info keeps coming out, I keep seeing the lack of info on one particular topic. How can a man, age 64, who did not appear to be a buff/muscular fellow, shoot as many rounds as he did in 10 minutes? I admittedly have shot guns all of one time, and after a few hours of going at it, shot about 100 rounds (pistol, mosin-nagant, and shot gun for skeet shooting), I was worn out. Yet, here is this man who (maybe) shot 1000's of rounds of ammo. I do realize we have yet to see more detailed images of the room. Would we not see these ammo casings everywhere? Again, I just don't get it...how is it physically possible to shoot that many rounds?
Quote Reply
Re: Full-Auto weapons, Time to Ban? [satchmo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't watch the news much do you? Go search bump stock...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you saying you wore out by the recoil? If so .223 does not have much of a recoil. Women love shooting .223 vs 30 cal or shotgun. From the one picture I saw there was a mixture of .223 and .308 brass. I am not sure how much of each he shot, but .223 would not wear you out as much as the .308.
Quote Reply
Re: Full-Auto weapons, Time to Ban? [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did watch the video's and they, too, looked like it would be difficult to fire that many rounds with a bump stock.
Quote Reply
Re: Full-Auto weapons, Time to Ban? [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
Are you saying you wore out by the recoil? If so .223 does not have much of a recoil. Women love shooting .223 vs 30 cal or shotgun. From the one picture I saw there was a mixture of .223 and .308 brass. I am not sure how much of each he shot, but .223 would not wear you out as much as the .308.

Thanks for clarifying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plus his weapons, or least a couple of them, had bi-pods, this reduces the need to hold the weapon while firing, which would also reduce fatigue.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Full-Auto weapons, Time to Ban? [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just as an FYI, shooting with a bump stock on is not physically easy by any means even if it's 5.56x45 going down range. The fact that the shooter had worked out the ballistics on a piece of scratch paper (previously thought to be a suicide note on the nightstand) to determine the optimum point of aim... that just adds to the mystery here. Clearly this was well planned out even if things didn't go exactly to plan.
Quote Reply
Re: Full-Auto weapons, Time to Ban? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn't take long for the media cycle or even the Slowtwitch cycle to move on.
Mass shooting in Las Vegas!
Change gun laws / don't change gun laws
NFL, players take a knee to make comment re black civil rights ( not to be shot unjustly by police)
Get those boys back on the field, fine them if they don't!
Pressure the NFL team owners to get them back on their feet
Who's smarter, Trump or Tillerman?
Now NBC should have their license pulled
Eminem rapped stuff about your POTUS, some like rap, some hate rap

Why are we not surprised that the only people who really care about what last week held as important for them are those who were directly affected. Possibly relatives of the dead and those injured.

what a wonderful world.
Quote Reply
Re: Full-Auto weapons, Time to Ban? [Avago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Avago wrote:
It doesn't take long for the media cycle or even the Slowtwitch cycle to move on.
Mass shooting in Las Vegas!
Change gun laws / don't change gun laws
NFL, players take a knee to make comment re black civil rights ( not to be shot unjustly by police)
Get those boys back on the field, fine them if they don't!
Pressure the NFL team owners to get them back on their feet
Who's smarter, Trump or Tillerman?
Now NBC should have their license pulled
Eminem rapped stuff about your POTUS, some like rap, some hate rap

Why are we not surprised that the only people who really care about what last week held as important for them are those who were directly affected. Possibly relatives of the dead and those injured.

what a wonderful world.

Umm....just wondering why you think this thread needs reviving?

No Full-Auto weapons were used. Everyone (including Slowman) who was tacitly arguing for a ban on transferable (pre 1986 collectible) select fire weapons has shown that their reactions were 100% emotional and based on nothing more than BS reporting/speculation from their favorite liberal rag rather than evidence based policy.

As I suggested before...we should wait for the facts. The facts are in. Anyone who argues for a full-auto ban based on the LV tragedy is not arguing for fact-based-policy and most likely a card carrying member of the Michael Bloomberg / Diane Feinstein "head in the sand" fan club.

Perhaps you should start a new thread more germane to the policy argument: "Bump stocks, time to ban?".

Or perhaps: "Murder, time to ban?"

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

How quickly you forgot about the people in Puerto Rico.

I can only assume that you were not directly affected and that you are not a relative of the dead or injured.
Quote Reply
Re: Full-Auto weapons, Time to Ban? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poor, unforgotten Houston.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Full-Auto weapons, Time to Ban? [stal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote stal

Umm....just wondering why you think this thread needs reviving?
?"[/quote]
Stal, firstly this thread was still on the front page, and the Las Vegas shootings happened on the 3rd of October '17, which based on my old fashioned arithmetic was a whole 9 days ago. Had I have revived a thread on Sandy Hook or Orlando I can understand that this may be old news, but 9 day ago.... not so old.

My comments really are not about banning guns or anything other than the speed of the current news cycles where stories, major one even are here today and pffft, gone tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It needs to be very hard for people to get hold of powerful weapons, legally or illegally. In Australia, to get hold of a small hand gun would be very difficult. To get hold of an AK47 would be impossible. There are probably none in the country. I've never heard of criminals in Australia using anything other than antique shotguns and small pea shooter pistols. I was watching some American police doco and the police were responding to a shooting, apparently a house had been shot up by 3 guys all armed with AK47s... the two guys in the house had fired back also armed with AK47s.... that's just madness. Nowhere else in the developed world is that happening.
Quote Reply
Re: Full-Auto weapons, Time to Ban? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
It needs to be very hard for people to get hold of powerful weapons, legally or illegally. In Australia, to get hold of a small hand gun would be very difficult. To get hold of an AK47 would be impossible. There are probably none in the country. I've never heard of criminals in Australia using anything other than antique shotguns and small pea shooter pistols. I was watching some American police doco and the police were responding to a shooting, apparently a house had been shot up by 3 guys all armed with AK47s... the two guys in the house had fired back also armed with AK47s.... that's just madness. Nowhere else in the developed world is that happening.

Um, France? Bataclan ring a bell? Where the gun laws are even stricter than in California.

Sorry if I'm letting facts get in the way of your "common sense" argument.

Edited: misspelled Bataclan

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Last edited by: stal: Oct 12, 17 2:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My comments really are not about banning guns or anything other than the speed of the current news cycles where stories, major one even are here today and pffft, gone tomorrow.

It's the same everywhere in the world. In 2013, there was a massive typhoon in the Philippines, and the town with the most damage was where I lived for a year, volunteering at an orphanage in Tacloban. I was in Thailand at the time and decided to go back there to see if I could help. I waited a few weeks until some help had arrived and in that time started raising money to help rebuild some homes and to assist some people who lost everything they had, which wasn't much to begin with.

I told donors that I had to raise the money within 30 days because by then, CNN would stop the broadcasts, they would be off the front pages and people would move on to the next disaster. When I got there, all the main agencies were there and CNN was broadcasting but within a few weeks that stopped.

The coverage did last about a month because of the devastation (they were without power in many places for almost a year) and the staggering loss of life and property.

This is nothing new and you're right, the only people who will stay involved are those with a personal vested interest. I stayed there a month and have gone back to the City to check up on things a half dozen times. I still sponsor a few of the children. If I hadn't been involved, I would be like everyone else. That's the way things work.
Last edited by: Sanuk: Oct 12, 17 5:19
Quote Reply
Re: Full-Auto weapons, Time to Ban? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is true. Puerto Rico is struggling to stay on the radar right now and majority don't have power or water.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Full-Auto weapons, Time to Ban? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is true. Puerto Rico is struggling to stay on the radar right now and majority don't have power or water.

Yeah but did you hear about Eminem? OMG !!!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next