Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What actually happened during the National Anthem at the Packers/Bears game and what it migh mean to future protests [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
windywave wrote:
veganerd wrote:
Quote:
If playing our National Anthem is getting politicized

The national anthem is ALWAYS politicical. Standing or sitting, youre taking a political position.

Showing respect is not politicizing.

Then how would disrespect be politicicizing? Its pretty hard to take a political stance on an issue that isnt politicial. If standing isnt making a statement, then kneeling wouldnt be either. Kneeling only has political meaning if standing does.

Make a political response on a neutron star 12 billion light years away. Can you?

You said always, I disagree. If I don't stand for the Canadian National Anthem at a hawks game it's not political. (For the record I do stand for both)
Quote Reply
Re: What actually happened during the National Anthem at the Packers/Bears game and what it migh mean to future protests [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What political statement is being made by standing during the anthem?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: What actually happened during the National Anthem at the Packers/Bears game and what it migh mean to future protests [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
You can certainly be a asshole without being threatening. Your inclination towards assholeness has no relationship with how threatening or effeminate you are.

Your particular action in this case just exemplifies a trait of late--sort of like hipster beards and millennials. To take a 'snip' out of someones argument/conversation/paragraph... and then run off with it on a tangent of your own choosing.

certainly you 'can' do that. Obviously you have

it's just what makes you what you are

a asshole

/r

I see you have no reasonable reaponse to content and instead resort to name calling. Im sorry you are unable or unwilling to resort to fallacies. I also notice that you fail to address an entire argument and instead focus on the section you want to address. Does your hypocrisy make you feel nice?

Better luck next time!

Have a nice day!

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: What actually happened during the National Anthem at the Packers/Bears game and what it migh mean to future protests [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
So showing respect for a county means mindless adherence? Really?

/r

for me, standing, kneeling and even raising a fist are showing respect . . . drinking beer, talking and cracking jokes during the anthem is disrespect.
today, anything but standing gets some folks all riled up because it violates protocol, but there is nothing intrinsically disrespectful in kneeling or locking arms - there are many ways to show respect for one's country.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
*chortles*

you need to make a note of this in your little book for your next DSA meeting. Be sure to spell my name right when reporting to your section leader. Now go back to watching commie kickball. We're watching USC vs Washington State here in America.

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: What actually happened during the National Anthem at the Packers/Bears game and what it migh mean to future protests [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, I think you're daughter looks great in her hawks jersey on fridays in downtown Seattle. And, the Seahawks fans wouldn't crack top 50 either.
Quote Reply
Re: What actually happened during the National Anthem at the Packers/Bears game and what it migh mean to future protests [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
Hey, I think you're daughter looks great in her hawks jersey on fridays in downtown Seattle. And, the Seahawks fans wouldn't crack top 50 either.

Ha! I dare you to say that to her face. You will see 105 lbs or pure fury, then nothing, then the lights in the ER ... ;-)

She flew back to God's Country to watch her beloved Packers trounce your SeaChickens in week 1.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: What actually happened during the National Anthem at the Packers/Bears game and what it migh mean to future protests [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:

Ha! I dare you to say that to her face. You will see 105 lbs or pure fury, then nothing, then the lights in the ER ... ;-)

She flew back to God's Country to watch her beloved Packers trounce your SeaChickens in week 1.

One of these days she's going to come out of the closet and it will break your heart.

You should come out some time and go to a husky game. Wife is an alum and we have tickets.
Quote Reply
Re: What actually happened during the National Anthem at the Packers/Bears game and what it migh mean to future protests [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree when you say there are many ways to show respect for ones country. Certainly.

By convention however during the playing of a country's national anthem one stands up. Perhaps not rigidly to attention in a military manner but by convention one stands. One does not kneel. One does not sit. One stands. I've stood respectfully for plenty of country's national anthems--never even crossed my mind to kneel, sit or otherwise show any disrespect. Even for countries i've found morally offensive--SRV for example.

I fully understand that showing respect for ones Country and rendering respect during the National Anthem inherently offers the opportunity for those that want to protest something to do so. It is the very value people like me hold for this ceremony/act that lends power to those protesting whatever it is they're up to.

And yet i served and serve so that those that choose to do so can, what appears to me, disrespect our Flag and our Anthem. That is their right. I will continue to defend their right to be offensive in this manner.

Now lets play football.

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: What actually happened during the National Anthem at the Packers/Bears game and what it migh mean to future protests [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
JSA wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:

One of these days she's going to come out of the closet and it will break your heart.

You should come out some time and go to a husky game. Wife is an alum and we have tickets.

Gawd, I hope not!

I need to get out and see her. It would be fun to see a game. Last time we visited, we went to a Mariners game and had a great time.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
*chortles*

you need to make a note of this in your little book for your next DSA meeting. Be sure to spell my name right when reporting to your section leader. Now go back to watching commie kickball. We're watching USC vs Washington State here in America.

When did Wazzou adopt monochromatic uniforms and change their color to slate?
Quote Reply
Re: What actually happened during the National Anthem at the Packers/Bears game and what it migh mean to future protests [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Steve Hawley wrote:
*chortles*

When did Wazzou adopt monochromatic uniforms and change their color to slate?

Yeah, I was thrown by that. I kinda like it. Good game.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
between Nike and Underarmor they've changed the look in college football. Fortunately i have no worries about Nike paying millions under the table to some young football protege to go to Army. At least we've got that going for us. Now beat UTEP.

Please

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: What actually happened during the National Anthem at the Packers/Bears game and what it migh mean to future protests [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
there are many ways to show respect for one's country.
I'm going to start wearing a US flag pin on my jacket lapel.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: What actually happened during the National Anthem at the Packers/Bears game and what it migh mean to future protests [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
now THAT was a run play!

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: What actually happened during the National Anthem at the Packers/Bears game and what it migh mean to future protests [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Someone caught a pic of your tattoo...

Hahaha! Damn that's funny!!!
Quote Reply
Re: What actually happened during the National Anthem at the Packers/Bears game and what it migh mean to future protests [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha. Good stuff.

I have a SIL who's a flight attendant for Delta. I wore a set of Delta wings once to some formal function. My plan was if anyone challenged me on it was to tell them it was "Delta" [since it said 'delta' bigger than shit right in the middle of the wings] and therefore classified. No one ever said a thing.

i know. totally disrespectful to the uniform. i plead i wass drunk yer honer.

in grad school we call that the Aggie 5th.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
now THAT was a run play!

interception was better
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
both exceptional plays. Intellectually i have to go with USC on this game but my emotion here (having no emotional skin in the game) is to go for Wazzu.

of course after that sack??

you?

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
You can certainly be a asshole without being threatening. Your inclination towards assholeness has no relationship with how threatening or effeminate you are.

Your particular action in this case just exemplifies a trait of late--sort of like hipster beards and millennials. To take a 'snip' out of someones argument/conversation/paragraph... and then run off with it on a tangent of your own choosing.

certainly you 'can' do that. Obviously you have

it's just what makes you what you are

a asshole

/r

You make a very good point -- and I'm a bit reluctant to admit it as I consider veganerd a good man (who has taught me much), and even more so because I have done what you describe. Somehow this here example (speaking southern) makes me see something that I haven't seen before.

Lesson for me: Listen to a man and try to know and understand him based on all he says and don't look for chinks in the armor.

Regarding hipster beards, funny story: in 1986 I had got a haircut in a barbershop in Fairbanks, Alaska. I had not shaved for five months. So I had very short hair and very long beard. Returning to the lower 48, people looked at me as if I was some weirdo.* That style was outrageous. About a year ago, I saw a hipster with short hair and long beard and somehow I remembered my return from Alaska and I laughed as I was ahead of the fashion curve.

* More story: back in 1986 with the beard and short hair and driving across South Dakota, I talked with two girls on the CB radio. We met at a gas station off the interstate. They took one look at me, didn't say a word, and left immediately.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: What actually happened during the National Anthem at the Packers/Bears game and what it migh mean to future protests [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha well played.

any polarids you can scan into memory?

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: What actually happened during the National Anthem at the Packers/Bears game and what it migh mean to future protests [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
funny story: in 1986 I had got a haircut in a barbershop in Fairbanks, Alaska.

You reminded me of one of my favorite jokes (told to me by an economist):

Q: Why are haircuts so expensive in Alaska?

A: It's the shipping.
Quote Reply
Re: What actually happened during the National Anthem at the Packers/Bears game and what it migh mean to future protests [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
https://youtu.be/w939Pq40LVY

JSA wasn't looking hard enough. I see five blatant acts of disrespect just in the still shot alone.

Guy not taking his hat off
Woman standing with hands on hips
Usher has hands in pockets
White person raising the black power fist
Drunkard holding his beer over his heart, using the wrong hand too

JSA trying to spread more #fakenews trying to cover for what very possibly could be the least diverse crowd in the history of sporting events. **

**all of the comments above are not to be taken seriously, except for what comes after "possibly"
Quote Reply
Re: What actually happened during the National Anthem at the Packers/Bears game and what it migh mean to future protests [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you know that that crowd wasn’t “diverse”?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: What actually happened during the National Anthem at the Packers/Bears game and what it migh mean to future protests [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
Duffy wrote:
https://youtu.be/w939Pq40LVY

JSA wasn't looking hard enough. I see five blatant acts of disrespect just in the still shot alone.

Guy not taking his hat off
Woman standing with hands on hips
Usher has hands in pockets
White person raising the black power fist
Drunkard holding his beer over his heart, using the wrong hand too

JSA trying to spread more #fakenews trying to cover for what very possibly could be the least diverse crowd in the history of sporting events. **

It's all about appearances...and myopia.

**all of the comments above are not to be taken seriously, except for what comes after "possibly"
Last edited by: windschatten: Sep 30, 17 21:07
Quote Reply

Prev Next