Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: For those boycotting football, thanks. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Trump has been successful in driving a wedge between the players and their fans and the owners, its what he does best and he hit a home run here.
I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but let's not give Trump so much credit here. It doesn't take Trump for people to understand they don't like the Colin Kaepernick story. The only thing Trump did was say things that generally can't be uttered by the major media outlets -- for both political and business reasons.

I'm against organized boycotts. Nevertheless my NFL watching has declined naturally with all this. This isn't about privately held beliefs or sad human failings that end up having nothing to do with the game and the commentary. Viewers and listeners are constantly bombarded with one-sided, sanctimonious diatribes anytime they want to watch these NFL related shows.
Quote Reply
Re: For those boycotting football, thanks. [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do they win, and how do people who object to their protest lose?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Quote:
NFL is going to pressure them in some fashion to stop.......

I don't think they have the power. I could be wrong, but people often forget (especially a lot of white people) that the NFL can't simply tell the players what to do "or your fyahed!" The players ARE the NFL. They are what people tune in to watch. One or two guys getting out of line they can pressure. A bunch of players, on this tpic, I don;t think so.

But I could be wrong.

Watch what happens tomorrow BarryP and then reply again. At least you covered yourself with "I could be wrong". That was the only sensible thing you've said in this thread.

Quote Reply
Re: For those boycotting football, thanks. [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"*feel free to highlight a select portion of this message to your own chickenshit purposes and ignore the overall tenor of the post and its overall intent* "

Huh?

Go fuck yourself.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: For those boycotting football, thanks. [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Are you asking me to assume.......

No, I'm asking you to stop being obtuse. That's a Fox & Friends play to pretend that you have no idea how protests work and what benefits generally come from them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pretend that you have no idea how protests work and what benefits generally come from them.

The benefits, according to you, are that football loses money, cities lose money, the players will come up with some way to save face by continuing to protest in a way nobody finds offensive, and the NFL starts up some kind of outreach program.

Your position is contemptible. You are completely unconcerned with actually solving the problem at hand, and have no interest at all with alleviating the real plight those in our inner cities. You are concerned wholly with empty symbolism and determining who scored meaningless "points" in some kind of stupid PR game. The only substantive impact you list as a benefit of these protests is a financial loss- for football and the cities. If you think that represents a win for anyone, you're an idiot.

You really need to engage in some self-examination instead of playing the white knight for a change.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: For those boycotting football, thanks. [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and here's NW holding on against a superior Wisc. team.

I'm still going with the Steelers over the Ravens tomorrow.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pick Six and Wisconsin is pulling away.

Still not heard from you on the Steelers Ravens game tomorrow?

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You are completely unconcerned with actually solving the problem at hand, and have no interest at all with alleviating the real plight those in our inner cities.

Huh?

You and Steve seem to be on a straw man roll today. You literally made up a whole bunch of positions that I've never stated, implied, insinuated......nothing.

Again, you are simply pretending that you don't know how protests work. The end game is not simply to annoy white people. Its sad that you hold such a low opinion of black people to think that that is their goal. They want to stop getting shot by police.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
They want to stop getting shot by police.

And we already know that they are not any more likely to be shot by police than any other race.

And they are less likely to be shot by police than native americans.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today!?

Still waiting to hear from you on the Steelers Ravens game? I'm going with the Steelers. Been following them since they hired AV. How that kid ever fit in a parachute harness as a Ranger is a mystery to me. I'm around 6'5" 250 and could barely get into a parachute harness rigged with combat equipment. AV makes me look small. Mad respect.

Go Steelers!

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: For those boycotting football, thanks. [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It appears that they're also less likely to be shot by white officers than by black and hispanic officers. The stated (I think) objective is to eliminate racist anti-black police brutality, but the subtext is unambiguously white anti-black police brutality, and it's often not even subtext, but explicitly stated as the primary problem.

I don't know how a problem gets fixed when the interested parties refuse to accurately identify it.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: For those boycotting football, thanks. [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
It appears that they're also less likely to be shot by white officers than by black and hispanic officers. The stated (I think) objective is to eliminate racist anti-black police brutality, but the subtext is unambiguously white anti-black police brutality, and it's often not even subtext, but explicitly stated as the primary problem.

I don't know how a problem gets fixed when the interested parties refuse to accurately identify it.

It doesn’t matter what the reality is, we’ve learned today from slowman that black people can’t held accountable to reality.

We must address the problems that they (wrongly) perceive because, you know, those people aren’t really capable of seeing things as they really are.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Last edited by: Duffy: Oct 1, 17 10:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was no strawman, and I didn't make up a single thing that you didn't say. Jesus, Barry, your post is still there. If you can't remember what you said, go back and read it. Don't lie, though. That's just stupid.

I'll save you a step:

They kneel for the anthem.
You get pissed and stop watching football.
Football loses money.
Which also means that cities will lose money.

Ultimately I expect some sort of deal will be struck that involves outreach programs, anti racism campaigns from the NFL, cooperation with local governments, etc. etc. In exchange, the players will find some other way to maintain their position without giving in. For example, maybe a ceremonial kneel and a prayer before and after the anthem. Etc. No way that the NFL is going to just hope this goes away, but they sure as hell aren't going to fire those S.O.B.'s.

Like I said, the only substantive effect you predict is a loss of money for football (which, I should remind you, would negatively impact the players as well), and a loss of money for cities (which, I should remind you, would negatively impact black people who live in those cities.).

That's it. That's what you count as a win for the players and their protest.

You know what you could have said, but didn't? You could have said that the protests will raise awareness of racism in the country, which will lead people to examine their consciences, ultimately leading to fewer racists and less racism. Or you could have said that the protests will force the nation to look at the effects of specific policies on the black community, which could ultimately alleviate all that systemic racism. Or you could have said that the protests would galvanize the black community itself, ultimately leading to an improvement in their lives.

But you didn't mention ANY of that. You didn't even attempt to formulate an argument that the protests will be effective at solving the problem they're supposed to be addressing. A win, according to you, consists of a financial loss for football and for the cities it is played in- regardless of whether that "win" also results in a financial loss for the players and for the black people who live in those cities, and regardless of whether racism is lessened, and regardless of whether black people's lives are improved. You just want to see the other side get shafted and score some points for your side.

You're a virtue signaler, Barry.

Quote Reply
Re: For those boycotting football, thanks. [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pre-anthem kneel by the home team didn't go over so well.

But, they're Ravens fans anyway, so fuckem.

Go Steelers.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watching the Steelers take down the Ravens and still haven't heard back from you on this one Barry?

Barry?

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"That's it. That's what you count as a win for the players and their protest."

You can't simply ignore the paragraph which was the "win" part and then cherry pick what part you want to assign to me as the "win" i mist have been talking about.

I'm not going to sit here and, once again, play this game where you tell me what I am trying to say. The ultimate goal, in a nutshell, is to reduce the shootings of black people by police. I explained how boycotting football helps with this goal. Your inability to understand that, and your deliberate cognitive dissonance with even attempting to understand any argument in support of the boycotts doesn't change my position in reality, only in your head.

Sphere had a great post on this earlier which had something to do with at least making an effort to understanding their position rather than to ignore it in favor of straw man arguments like, "Black people just hate America."

You are the champion of this. Not once have you made the slightest attempt to try to understand anything about their protest. Not once.

And for Steve, I have no idea what his point is and stopped reading his posts a while ago. He watches lots of games.........I don't get it. I'm pretty sure the title of my thread began with "For those boycotting football....."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a news flash B. The Steelers won.

so sorry to hear you've stopped reading my posts.

take good care and see ya next weekend when we talk NCAAF and NFL.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey,

You might be onto something. I'm going for a ride during the Seahawks game and I went to the bike store and might get a new hi-vis helmet so a win for my health and the bike shop.
Quote Reply
Re: For those boycotting football, thanks. [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
I disagree that's a win for the players. A win for the players would be continuing kneeling regardless of fan reaction. NFL is going to pressure them in some fashion to stop if ratings keep dropping (regardless of the reason is this or something else)

Last year it was just a few players and fans threatened to boycott but not much happened. Now it's wide spread, people are pissed and the league is getting a little worried from what I read. We'll see in the next few weeks how many kneel, sit vs lock arms as a team or whatever "compromise" they agree to.

I couldn't disagree more. Last year, or until Trump made this about him, the "movement' was dying and very few players took a knee. Last week players took a knee as an eff Trump, it had nothing to do with "social justice." This week everyone is standing and locking arms in solidarity. Kaep's message, and the false narrative it was built on, is dead.
Quote Reply
Re: For those boycotting football, thanks. [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
I couldn't disagree more. Last year, or until Trump made this about him, the "movement' was dying and very few players took a knee.

Well very few players took part in the first place, but I'm not sure it was dying. This article was just before Trump made his comments. There's also a similar accounting for Week 1 and preseason.

Trump certainly re-invigorated it. And today we had Newton doing what was apparently the black power fist-raising while defeating white-wonder-boy Brady. (for what it's worth in Week 4 or whatever)

I agree that Kap's original protest has been watered down, though. Everyone linking arms is sort of milquetoast. MLK is probably rolling his eyes in his grave.
Quote Reply

Prev Next