Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

phone hacking question
Quote | Reply
As always, the LR is a wealth of knowledge.

I have a question on whether or not someone can hack a phone (android) via a text message and image.

I received two text messages from a number I don't know.

One was simply "Hi" and the next was an image of a person (not explicit). I had responded "who is this" and then radio silence.

It could simply a case of mistaken number, but I was wondering if it could be more malicious as the 'spidey senses' were tingling. I deleted the text chain.

Could my phone have been compromise?
Quote Reply
Re: phone hacking question [noodle_soup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would help us determine your level of exposure if you could post the pic here. You know, for your safety.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess anything is possible. I would check your storage on the phone and make sure the photo isn't stored anywhere. I think on my google phone any images that get texted will be stored some place on the phone. Also, not sure how these things work but usually just an image being there cant do anything. Again, not sure but you usually have to click on it to activate what ever is malicious. It could be nothing more than a fishing attempt to get an active phone number. No that you responded they know they have one. Or like you said, probably nothing at all. Was it a pic someone took with the camera of the phone?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If this was the image then my suggestion is to do a hard reset of your phone and contact your local law enforcement office.

Quote Reply
Re: phone hacking question [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What image? I see nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
noodle_soup wrote:
As always, the LR is a wealth of knowledge.

I have a question on whether or not someone can hack a phone (android) via a text message and image.

I received two text messages from a number I don't know.

One was simply "Hi" and the next was an image of a person (not explicit). I had responded "who is this" and then radio silence.

It could simply a case of mistaken number, but I was wondering if it could be more malicious as the 'spidey senses' were tingling. I deleted the text chain.

Could my phone have been compromise?

Send back a dick pic. See what happens.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its probably just a ruse to compile legitimate numbers

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: phone hacking question [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not a tech person, so I don't know if an image poses a threat. And my google-fu seems to indicate that most malicious attempts would include something that you have to click on. But I am not so sure, as I recall a LR user mentioned that they would only use a 'blank' phone to travel to certain parts of the world for fear of hacking.

It's a simple picture of a mirror selfie. It wasn't explicit or anything like that. Just seemed like a picture someone someone would take like for a social media page.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guy or girl ;o) probably just a wrong number
Quote Reply
Re: phone hacking question [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
If this was the image then my suggestion is to do a hard reset of your phone and contact your local law enforcement office.

Lavendar Room win for the day!!! LMAO!!!
Quote Reply