Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Renters insurance benefits
Quote | Reply
I am looking into getting renters insurance, but I'm also looking to get my bikes covered incase of damage (crash/accident) and (airline liability). My insurance company doesn't have anything that explicitly talks about this, but I've seen numerous people talk about filing a claim with their renters insurance if an airline damaged their bike or they got in an accident.

I just wanted to ensure that I'd be covered for these two scenarios if I did pick up renters insurance or how I would file a claim if something like this did happen.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Renters insurance benefits [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You would need to read the policy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have my renters through All State, and I have a rider for sporting equipment which covers up to $20K, $4K per item. That was a good balance of coverage vs. cost for me and my bikes - YMMV. As I recall, it covers my bikes wherever they are, as long as I'm not being wantonly reckless with them (or something equally as vague and insurancey).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I had renter's insurance through State Farm, I had a rider for sports equipment. I'm not sure if it would've covered damage done by an airline however. I've had an airline damage my bike box (not the bike), which wasn't insured. The airline gave me a $200 voucher, which was nice.
Renter's insurance is 100% worth it, BTW. We had to move out of our rental for a month due to winter weather damage and they paid for us to stay in another rental (nicer than the one we had been in) and all moving costs (boxes, movers, storage, etc). We had to pay our deductible, obviously, but it was as much as the rent we would've paid (which our landlord didn't make us pay because the place was "unliveable") so we didn't lose anything in the end. Big fan of the renter's insurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
onceatriathlet3 wrote:
I've seen numerous people talk about filing a claim with their renters insurance if an airline damaged their bike or they got in an accident.

Talk is cheap, especially on the Internet.....

If it is not in your policy or you have a rider attached to it (as mentioned), you will have a tough uphill battle to make a claim for the above (especially for significant damages).
Sure there are people who get it covered because of various reasons (e.g. having all your insurances with a specific company, able to pull some strings etc. pp.).

So no, your renters insurance does not automatically cover all of that.

Renters is good to have regarding liability issues directly associated with your home. That alone makes it a must have.
Quote Reply
Re: Renters insurance benefits [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My renters insurance has a $1,000 limit for bicycles. Not much coverage for a Speed Concept - not even a downpayment for a new one if mine disappears from a transition area or the back of my car.

Insurance company will add a rider for $80 per $1,000 of coverage. This would be $1,500/year for my and my wife's bikes. That's a lot considering my renters policy is $300/yr.

Anyone aware of other insurance coverage options?

Thanks,

John
Tierra Verde, FL

John Hollenhorst
St Pete Beach
Quote Reply