Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

FBI vs the NCAA
Quote | Reply
http://www.espn.com/...ght-words-corruption

First thought is, doesn't the FBI have more important things to worry about? What laws have been broken? NCAA rules have been broken but why is the FBI concerned with the NCAA rules?

This is nothing new. It has been going on forever.

The big question is what will the NCAA and collegiate sports look like when all us said and done? Will student/athletes be paid?
Last edited by: davec: Sep 28, 17 11:15
Quote Reply
Re: FBI vs the NCAA [davec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will athletes be student/athletes be paid?

As long as it's a big business, that's one thing that will never change.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davec wrote:
http://www.espn.com/...ght-words-corruption

First thought is, doesn't the FBI have more important things to worry about? What laws have been broken? NCAA rules have been broken but why is the FBI concerned with the NCAA rules?

This is nothing new. It has been going on forever.

The big question is what will the NCAA and collegiate sports look like when all us said and done? Will student/athletes be paid?

One thing is certain: I would not read ESPN for this topic. Way too much conflict of interest. WSJ had a decent article yesterday that included some of your points.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The story talks about an agent who used money from clients accounts without their consent which is a crime. Then there is all sorts of money being moved around under false pretenses. Is it okay because it has always been this way?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: FBI vs the NCAA [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
One thing is certain: I would not read ESPN for this topic. Way too much conflict of interest

I was on the TM at the gym watching SC when they put up a graphic of the bullet points in the case against Pitino

I saw they didn't capitalize adidas [as is the proper way to do it] and said to myself "Wow! someone was really on the ball, there"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This article agrees with you. No laws appear to have been broken. I guess the question is, were the so called bribes actual bribes or informal 'deals'. I'm guess there was no paperwork formalising the deals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to this SI article,

"Under federal law, a person associated with such a program [an educational program receiving Federal funds] faces up to 10 years in prison if convicted of agreeing to accept anything of value from any person, “intending to be influenced or rewarded in connection with any business, transaction, or series of transactions of such organization, government, or agency involving any thing of value of $5,000 or more." Since the Justice Department contends the coaches partook in this kind of theft through a conspiracy, they each face an additional maximum of five years in prison."

There are also multiple legal issues when such conduct crosses State lines via wire and/or travel. They also stand accused of laundering the money used for the payoffs.

I can't imagine the fireworks if this type of investigation leaks over into football. Also saw that a division of Nike which one of the arrested used to work for was subpoenaed. It looks to be far from over.
Last edited by: gotsand: Sep 28, 17 12:16
Quote Reply
Re: FBI vs the NCAA [gotsand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me preface this by saying that I had nothing to do with this case and I know as much about this case as you guys do from what I've read in the news, and in no way am I offering any kind of official stance on this case in particular.

The question as to how a case like this is criminal can be answered a couple of ways:
- The aforementioned federal funds/education angle.
- The criminal activities and the affect on interstate commerce.

Interstate commerce was affected due to the defendants conspiring through a series of bribes and kickbacks to steer potential clients to certain investment advisors, or away from schools with rival shoe/apparel deals. So the criminal argument in that regard is that this was unfair to other investment advisors or shoe/apparel companies. It's obviously far more complicated than that but that's the basic macro level of the criminal charges.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Sep 28, 17 15:11
Quote Reply